Darnold to Panthers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s interesting reading the fans of these teams. Majority of Jets fans wanted to keep Darnold and build around him. Panthers fans can’t wait to get rid of Teddy.
Yeah and I tend to hold fan opinions in higher regard than I do media types. The fans actually watch the games and tend to know more.

I find it funny when I see people on twitter saying the Panthers got robbed. None of us know if Sam will dedicate himself to being great but he has the talent and now the coaching. Generally talent plus coaching is a very potent mix in a positive way. They're not there yet roster-wise but adding a guy with his talent for a round two pick sounds like a good deal given that he's a QB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Yeah and I tend to hold fan opinions in higher regard than I do media types. The fans actually watch the games and tend to know more.

I find it funny when I see people on twitter saying the Panthers got robbed. None of us know if Sam will dedicate himself to being great but he has the talent and now the coaching. Generally talent plus coaching is a very potent mix in a positive way. They're not there yet roster-wise but adding a guy with his talent for a round two pick sounds like a good deal given that he's a QB.
The thing I look at is Joe Brady. He likes himself some deep passing and a little mobility in his QB. One thing Teddy will never bring to the position is a strong arm. Smart guy fairly accurate passer but he has his limitations. A few “experts I’ve listened to and read cite Darnold having similar physical tools to Burrow. It is all going to come down to what Sam does with his coaching, he’s already playing with a much better supporting cast than he ever had in NY.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I live in NYC and have seen just about every snap of Darnold’s career, and I still don’t have a strong opinion.

Many games, he never had a chance. There were times he would drop back, and pass rushers were waiting for him. Skill position talent seemed to change every few games; and use of the word “talent” is a stretch. Gase never inspired any confidence. Still, Darnold made some awful decisions.

One huge advantage had the Jets rolled with Darnold, was the draft capital they could have accumulated.

Had the Jets made the same deal with San Francisco for #2 that Miami did for #3, New York would have had #s 12, 23 and 34, plus two third round picks this year; with three first round picks in 2022 and two more #1s in 2023.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Nice little hype video. He's got some wheels, I know you don't want your QB taking defenders head-on but I loved seeing him level a LB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nice little hype video. He's got some wheels, I know you don't want your QB taking defenders head-on but I loved seeing him level a LB.

That Tannerbale on ESPN the NFL Live new guy is a FREAKING JOKE of GM..
WOW - The Jets continue to be a BAD FRANCHISE.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I live in NYC and have seen just about every snap of Darnold’s career, and I still don’t have a strong opinion.

Many games, he never had a chance. There were times he would drop back, and pass rushers were waiting for him. Skill position talent seemed to change every few games; and use of the word “talent” is a stretch. Gase never inspired any confidence. Still, Darnold made some awful decisions.

One huge advantage had the Jets rolled with Darnold, was the draft capital they could have accumulated.

Had the Jets made the same deal with San Francisco for #2 that Miami did for #3, New York would have had #s 12, 23 and 34, plus two third round picks this year; with three first round picks in 2022 and two more #1s in 2023.

Yeah - what did you think of him against The Rams 2020? I think he was better than Tua when The Rams played them as well.

Don’t understand how Carolina got him at such a low price after the 9ers trade ?

TheTackle

Starter
That was one of Darnold’s better games; and I thought the Rams were flat that day. Rams most disappointing game of the year in my opinion.

Darn old barely threw the ball past the 5 yard line! We collectively beat ourselves. Fuck, we couldn’t even beat their punter :ROFLMAO: with the whole field ahead of us!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I admittedly have not followed Darnolds career but that QB that played against us last year showed me something. I think a change of scenery does him wonders

Psycho_X

Legend
I admittedly have not followed Darnolds career but that QB that played against us last year showed me something. I think a change of scenery does him wonders

Agree, he's got a lot to prove but I don't think he's as bad as he has been. Whether he can be great I don't know but I think he can be at least good with talent around him and a coach that doesn't suck. He'll have one of the best RBs in the NFL and some decent talent on the outside. Their oline is a bit of a question mark but hopefully for him can't be worse than the Jets have been lol.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Yeah - what did you think of him against The Rams 2020? I think he was better than Tua when The Rams played them as well.

Don’t understand how Carolina got him at such a low price after the 9ers trade ?
I think the Jets waited too long to take trade offers. Most of the QB needy teams had made their 2020 QB plans

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A quote from a recent article on NFL.com:

"The kid can play," a former Jets offensive assistant coach told me this week. "He is an alpha with the ability to make all of the throws. ... He is a hard worker who earns the respect of his teammates and he isn't afraid of the stage. We probably put too much on his shoulders and he struggled with all of the responsibility at the line of scrimmage. When we scaled it back at the end of 2019, he flourished as a player and the offense took off. ... If we stayed with that approach last season, he would've played better."

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Read a report that niners tried to trade for mcdonald bit the jets were not willing to trade him ar that point. So the niners moved on.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Read a report that niners tried to trade for mcdonald bit the jets were not willing to trade him ar that point. So the niners moved on.

You mean, trade for Darnold?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A quote from a recent article on NFL.com:

"The kid can play," a former Jets offensive assistant coach told me this week. "He is an alpha with the ability to make all of the throws. ... He is a hard worker who earns the respect of his teammates and he isn't afraid of the stage. We probably put too much on his shoulders and he struggled with all of the responsibility at the line of scrimmage. When we scaled it back at the end of 2019, he flourished as a player and the offense took off. ... If we stayed with that approach last season, he would've played better."

A couple other parts catch my eye;

The quarterback owns a 13-25 career record with 45 touchdowns and 39 interceptions. He's completed 59.8 percent of his passes and has never ended a season above 26th in passer rating. In fact, Darnold finished as the NFL's lowest-rated passer in 2020 (72.7), 35th out of 35 qualifying quarterbacks. His career passer rating is 78.6, also dead last among qualifying QBs since 2018. Those putrid numbers are compounded by a checkered injury history that has seen him miss three games as a rookie (sprained foot), three games in 2019 (mononucleosis) and four games in 2020 (sprained throwing shoulder).

He’s not had a clean season yet. Does that mean anything? I dunno. But he’s had a “set-back” every season to over come.

"I'm more focused on Sam in our offense and what we can do with him here," Fitterer said. "I like the skill set. He's only 23 years old. A lot of these quarterbacks don't mature and hit their prime until 24, 25, 26. If this is a quarterback we can hit on at this price, it's definitely worth the gamble."

And this encapsulates why I like the move for Carolina. He’s super young.

Every QB you draft is a gamble.

Can things click?

At the end of the day, I have my doubts. A lot of teams passed on trading for Darnold. And... a lot of teams are searching for QB’s.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is no certainty that is true. He made a ton of mistakes. But he may develop which, given the need at the position around the league, seems worth what they gave up.