Dak Looking for $40M /Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Win a playoff game before you can demand $40m.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Jeez, maybe its just my opinion but when I watch him play, I don't see anything that looks like he can be elite. About half the NFC quarterbacks I would take over him. A few more are tossups. I don't think he's worth 30 million much less 40.

But the Cowboys are between a rock and a hard place. He's good enough to get them to the playoffs if they have a solid team around him. Can they find a cheaper option to do that? All the good quarterbacks are taken and a rookie is a crap shoot.

They may have to pay their quarterback elite money to keep him while he plays a notch or two below that. I know we'll have our own situation with Goff soon. But at least Goff has the potential to be among the elite. I don't see it with Prescott.

dang

Legend
No way the Cowboys come close to that. But can’t blame him for aiming high to start the negotiation.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My first response upon hearing the number..

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Jerruh!! If you're listening! Pay da man...(and leave your team devoid of cap space for the next five years and locked into a sub or qb) "cue evil chuckle"

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Part of Negotiation is asking for more than the value of what you are discussing to maximize what you get.
Dak is NOT a 40 million a year QB and probably not even a 30 million a year QB.
I do not think Dallas will pay Zak what his agent it asking but it will force Dallas to bump the 30 million offer to up to say 35 million a year or cut either ties with Zak. Dallas has to decide if Zak is pricing himself off the Roster. I think he might be doing that.

I am not rooting for Dak in this instance because paying him close to his asking price will drive up the cost of the QB position even more, which is not good for the league or the Rams. If Dak does get a 40 mil a year mega deal then that just makes Goff, who is a superior QB, even more expensive. Hold the line Dallas!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
No way the Cowboys come close to that. But can’t blame him for aiming high to start the negotiation.
And it is exactly what he is doing. Negotiating. He won't get $40 mil per, but starting high means he can get them to settle in the low $30's. Whether or not we actually think he is worth that much, is not the issue. the issue is the QB market. The next guy always gets at...or more than the guy before him. Now they (or any team) can decide they want to move on. But that means starting over .. and not any guarantee that that process will succeed or how long it will take.

We ARE going to run into this with Goff. It's just the nature of the biz. Unless JG decides he wants to be "team friendly" which is VERY rare (ie; Brady), we are going to pay more than many will want. Rams are being smart to wait and see if he takes the next step ... but they also are playing the game that the longer they wait, the more he will cost.

It's a catch 22 all the way around.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Right now, the market for a second contract for starting QBs is about $32.0 million per year, set by Wentz. Prescott can expect a little more than Wentz got per year, but the guaranteed money is the key. Wentz got $107.9 million guaranteed, so that's another benchmark Prescott's agent will likely want to exceed.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Is Dak even a good QB? Everytime I've watched him hes always looked like a Jeff George.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Zeke, Dak. Oh Jerruh, you may want to seek stress relief suggestions from Mr. Kraft.:mad:

Ram65

Legend
https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848/

View attachment 29599

If you factor in that Prescott out played his contract I can see him getting close to Wentz' deal. So Dallas over pays him to make up for his good play on a low deal. The Cowboys did get a bargain early on. Jared Goff got a 4 year, $27,937,673 contract with the Los Angeles Rams which is a lot more money. Of course Goff is a better QB.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Cowboys’ Dak Prescott contract: Does he really want $40 million per year? Here’s how much he is actually worth
Updated 7:03 AM; Today 6:51 AM
AP

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott wants a big-money contract. (Max Faulker | Star-Telegram via AP)
0 shares
By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Various reports emerged Monday about how much money quarterback Dak Prescott wants from the Cowboys, for his second contract.

Could it be about $40 million per year, as NFL Network reported? Or is that report erroneous, as Pro Football Talk and ESPN contended?

The Cowboys have reportedly offered Prescott about $30 million per year.

So as Cowboys owner Jerry Jones tries to determine how to pay Prescott, wide receiver Amari Cooper, and running back Ezekiel Elliott, what is Prescott actually worth?

Let’s break that down.

First, let’s remember that average annual value doesn’t matter a ton in an NFL contract. It’s all about guaranteed money and, more specifically, fully guaranteed money at signing.

So let’s examine this offseason’s two big quarterback contracts — the Seahawks" Russell Wilson and Eagles’ Carson Wentz.

Set aside the average annual value stuff, though Wentz got $32 million and Wilson got $35 million, for what it’s worth (something but not everything).

In terms of guaranteed money, Wentz got $107.97 million, while Wilson got $107 million. But in terms of fully guaranteed money at signing, Wentz got $66.470 million, compared to $70 million for Wilson.

Does Prescott deserve Wilson-level money? No. Definitely not. He hasn’t accomplished nearly what Wilson has in his career.

But Prescott could get similar money to Wentz — around $65 million fully guaranteed at signing. That seems reasonable. After all, Prescott and Wentz have similar numbers, and both have been in the league for three seasons.

Prescott’s career stats: 67 touchdowns, 25 interceptions, 96.0 quarterback rating. Wentz’s numbers: 70 touchdowns, 28 interceptions, 92.5 quarterback rating. Almost identical.

As the Cowboys try to prevent Prescott from hitting free agency after this season, they also need to navigate the Cooper and Elliott situations. While Elliott won’t be a free agent after 2019, Cooper will be. Ditto for Prescott, since the Cowboys can’t use the fifth-year option.

Jones, who has his hands full, surely would prefer to not give Prescott similar money to Wentz. But you can make a legit case that Prescott deserves that kind of money. So Jones might have no choice, if he wants to retain his quarterback.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

The 40 Million is just to get his final numbers up. Give him around 32 Million and and somewhere in between the 66 Million and 70 Million guaranteed money Wentz and Wilson got.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I get that he's asking for 40 to negotiate down to 30, but is he even worth that?

For that matter, are the Cowboys in a place where they'll realize the value of any quarterback at 30 million per year?

I'm not being rude. Do what you like. But ...

To me, this is the equivalency of spending 10k on a bicycle when you haven't even completed a century at any pace yet, when you really need a heavier training bike anyway.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Goff can completely reset the market by pulling a Tom Brady. I believe he’s taken that mindset with the recent JG clothing brand. $20 million per year is enough for anyone to live 150 years. You won’t ever see the entire amount anyway. He says he wants to win and I don’t think taking $35 million per year does that.

Being the highest paid QB has never one single time resulted in a championship. I hope Goff understands that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff can completely reset the market by pulling a Tom Brady. I believe he’s taken that mindset with the recent JG clothing brand. $20 million per year is enough for anyone to live 150 years. You won’t ever see the entire amount anyway. He says he wants to win and I don’t think taking $35 million per year does that.

Being the highest paid QB has never one single time resulted in a championship. I hope Goff understands that.

don't kid yourself. goff will be the highest paid qb when the rams extend him. the time for a reasonable sized extension has passed. the only thing working in the rams favour is that he will be making $20+ next season so they don't need to beef up his contract to get a per year average above $30m.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If the Cowgirls are smart, they'll let Elliot hold out, re-sign Cooper, let Dak go, and draft Tua with the eventual top five pick.