Curious as to thoughts....Left Tackle??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Steve Davis
I recently saw that David Bakhtiari will be fully cleared for 2024. I personally believe that LT is our weakest spot along the OL, but AJ is definitely serviceable and qualified. I'm just wondering what other member's thoughts are on DB. While he has had some injury issues over the last few years, can he have a resurgence? He is still only 32 years old and had a great stretch of outstanding play up through 2020. I think most people agree that AJ is not a long term answer at LT, but can DB provide a better stop-gap? What about a rotational possibility while he works on the proper training/rehabilitation and a late career run? This could allow the organization a couple of years to find the next real answer at LT either through FA or the draft? I'm not purporting to know anything at all here, I'm genuinely interested in what others think.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let’s see what A-Jax does in a contract year. I thought he improved every game he played. For an undrafted player to do as well as he’s done at the second hardest position on offense…that’s impressive.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Rams will likely see how AJ does. They already have Note as a back-up. Do they bring in another injury risk? I tend to doubt it.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
1) I think with AJ backed by Noteboom, Rams are ok with depth (possibly better than ok).

2) With strength of Rams interior O-line and one of the best pocket passers (if not the best) in the NFL, LOT is less important this year with the Rams.

3) If Rams invest in a veteran back-up, better to wait for performance/injuries to dictate what position. I still feel that CB or OLB (pass rush) will be more important to invest in as Rams go for it this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams will likely see how AJ does. They already have Note as a back-up. Do they bring in another injury risk? I tend to doubt it.
Yeah, remember when Jake Long was supposed to be a "savior" at LT? I think we'd take AJ over Long in 2014

"Ahhh, the good ole' days"~ @CGI_Ram
LT: Jake Long; LG: Chris Williams; C: Scott Wells; RG: Harvey Dahl; RT: Joe Barksdale (with Barrett Jones in reserve)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams werent comfortable with Jackson, they'd have replaced him.
Noteboom provides some security, but ideally wont see the field

dang

Legend
Priority next year in Draft unless AJax improves from average to good. Note: Nothing wrong with average play but Rams will want good.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah, remember when Jake Long was supposed to be a "savior" at LT? I think we'd take AJ over Long in 2014

LT: Jake Long; LG: Chris Williams; C: Scott Wells; RG: Harvey Dahl; RT: Joe Barksdale (with Barrett Jones in reserve)
Barrett Jones was meant to be our long-term future at C. Still frustrated he didn’t pan out

Psycho_X

Legend
AJ is adequate and if he continues to improve could be a long term answer. I was ok with them replacing him this offseason if a stud fell to us in the draft though. But you're right, I am scared to death of depth behind him. Noteboom seems to run hot or cold in his limited chances not to mention a walking injury causing limited chances. I do not think an aged Bakhtiari is an upgrade to AJ though. Might be the answer if we have some terrible injury luck early and he's still available.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way in hell to Bakhtiari. Jackson is adequate but can be upgraded. If they really liked him they would have signed him to a long term deal. It's likely one of two things with him. Either they're making him earn a payday by showing us improvement. Or they just didn't feel they could get the players on D they wanted and needed and get a LT of the future and will address it next year. Just my 2 pesos.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they really liked him they would have signed him to a long term deal
They still can, but yeah if he was so invaluable they could have put the 1st round tender on him and it would have only cost an additional 2 mill

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I do like the idea of AJ playing for a contract.

He should be working his butt off right now.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
AJ is a more than adequate LOT. Rams have already committed to Boom as backup there, so there’s no room or need for Baktiari, imo.

Want to invest in a vet at a potential position of need should injury strike Jones? That’s where Rams should get some ‘insurance’ for a playoff run.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
AJ's not quite a pro bowl level tackle. But he's been able to hold his own. Ride one more season with him and see if he's the future cornerstone left tackle.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Aleric Jackson is the Rams best option for the 2024 season. Left Tackle (LT) is more of a long-term issue. Like QB, LT is one position where I really think it is nice to have long-term stability and the Rams do not have that (YET) with Jackson.

It remains to be seen if Jackson is the long-term answer. He is in a contract year, so this is his chance to prove it. Jackson has been good enough and provides stability for 2024 but beyond that is where the potential problem arises. I am reluctant to see the Rams pony up the premium LT money and only get an average LT. Even though Noteboom is still on the team (mainly due to the burdensome contract) he is not worth what he has been paid. In fact, I think Boom's resigning was one of the team's bigger mistakes that snowballed (monetarily and on the field) into the death spiral of the 2022 season. To me Boom's resigning should be a cautionary tale to the front office before deciding to extend Jackson. In a way the Rams have painted themselves into corner of probably having to pay AJ big bucks next year. Relying on finding a Rookie LT in 2025 especially in the back of the first round is very risky (Of course Greg Robinson proved even drafting one number 2 is risky). Also, replacing him with a free agent LT would be costly and usually LT 's only hit the open market if they have injury and/or age issues or they are just not deemed good enough by their former team to extend and invest the big dollars that position usually requires.

Note: Whitworth was a bit of an outlier at the position and the Rams were fortunate to get him. The only reason he was on the market is because of his age and the fact that Bengals are notoriously cheap. Even though he worked out fabulously I remember a lot of people saying the Rams overpaid for him due to his age when they first signed him.

Note 2: After saying all that, the NFL is a year to year and even a game-to-game proposition. You never know when that career ending injury can strike a player. So, there is NO real long-term stability at any position. Such is life!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
My first thought:
AJ is just fine, thank you.

Second thought.. Bakhtiari won't play for a team that plays its home games on artificial turf.

Name
Steve Davis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for the responses. I really do hope that AJ works out and at least provides some cohesiveness on the front line. My biggest want is to keep Stafford clean and see him remain in the horns for AT LEAST 2 more years. If it turns into 3, I don't see how that doesn't bode well for the organization and the fans combined!!