Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
99% of coronavirus deaths are people with poor health before infection. Most people recover. Deaths in the US is under 50.

400,000 people died from overdoses of opiods last year. Doctors in Tennessee wrote over 8 million perscriptions for opiods ast year. The population of Tenn. is only 6 mil.

Which pandemic is worse?
Deaths in the US from Coronavirus is less than 1. At least I can't find anything online about deaths and the one place I found that actually listed death numbers said 0.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
99% of coronavirus deaths are people with poor health before infection. Most people recover. Deaths in the US is under 50.

400,000 people died from overdoses of opiods last year. Doctors in Tennessee wrote over 8 million perscriptions for opiods ast year. The population of Tenn. is only 6 mil.

Which pandemic is worse?

They're both very bad. And personally - since I have physical disabilities and don't rely on painkillers for the most part - the coronavirus concerns me more. But that's not to dismiss the opiod crisis in the U.S.; it just means that I'm concerned about the one that could affect me more.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Deaths in the US from Coronavirus is less than 1. At least I can't find anything online about deaths and the one place I found that actually listed death numbers said 0.

1 now. Somebody died earlier today in King County, Washington. And the numbers of cases in the US - while still small - now have 4 who have not travelled internationally.

Hysteria isn't appropriate, but it is something to be concerned about.

CeeZar

Rookie

Which pandemic is worse?

Opioid deaths are not a pandemic. Not the same thing. Call it a crisis or whatever, but opioid addiction is not contagious.

Comparing this thing to the yearly flu is also pointless. The flu is out there and has been forever. Coronavirus is new and just starting to spread. It appears to be both more contagious and more deadly than the common flu. As far as spreading is concerned the big problem is that someone can have it and be contagious without showing any symptoms. That is different than most contagious diseases.

Anyway, that is all a bit besides the point of preparing for it. If you don't think you're going to get it or that it will be relatively mild if you do, that is one thing. The flu could kill 10x more each year than it does and people wouldn't freak out because it is a known yearly event. This is different, at least in the near term.

The problem is how the herd of humanity is going to react. Sure you can survive the virus. What are you going to eat when there is nothing on the shelves as the grocery store?

Italy has 12 cities under quarantine. What do you think is going to happen when/if American cities start going under quarantine? Do you think you will be able to run down to the store and pickup a gallon on milk and a loaf of bread? Stocking up on a bit of food and regular consumables is easy and not all that expensive. And if you do it right, it just means there will be a bit less to buy on a regular basis for a while because you will eat it all eventually anyway.

Roll the dice, it is probably all overblown and will pass quickly. Or spend a couple hundred bucks and an hour or so at Walmart and not have to worry.

Vapor

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Vapor
It's the flu people, just like all the other flues. People get sick, people in poor heath get really sick.
I have elder parents, 87 and 82. I am worried about them.
My wife is not in good health and I am worried about her.
Life goes on.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
6C5DFEE1-CF48-43EB-BAC6-509C6F8EDEA4.jpeg

people are straight loosing it here in Portland

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Nothing wrong with being informed.

If people take a casual attitude about this virus it will turn into a pandemic.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Not sure that’s the case.
From a personal perspective I don’t really live my life in fear - plus and I eat well, have good hygiene, take the proper supplements, exercise regularly, and have plenty of supplies and food on hand, and to be honest none of that has ever kept me 100% safe from catching that occasional cold or flu.
But because of all those things I mentioned above I tend to recover better and am at a good age where my immune system is still functioning well.
So to me, no amount of powdered milk, survival food buckets, or whatever you stock up with for fear that going to the market will get you infected, is gonna keep you any safer or unsafe when it comes to a highly contagious virus. It’s just a fact. And I don’t want to go all hermit joe.
I tend not to overreact.
If others want to buy all the respiratory masks Home Depot carries then good for them, and good for 3M as Ramhusker pointed out in his 401k thread.
So approaching it with levity and humor instead of fear is personally the route I take and that approach HAS ZERO AFFECT on whether this goes from pure hype to the end of the world.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
First death today in state of Washington. I’m sure we’ll see plenty more like all other strains of flu.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Does anyone know what the global mortality rate for it is? The CTO at my company was telling me that once you factor in the healthy people who get it (with fudge factor because the someone are similar to a regular flu so most won't report it) the rate of less than 1%. And that wasn't his estimate, it was some disease studying group or some such. The regular flu is like .3% so just under 1% is still 3x more.

And honestly I don't know where he got the info or estimates. That's why I'd like to check.

Never mind. Looked myself and found this as of February 20. K do not know how accurate that website is. I only assume that, like everything else on the internet, it's certified truth.

In China the overall rate has been falling from 17% to 5.8%. For cases onset after February 1 the rate is 0.7%.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
From a personal perspective I don’t really live my life in fear - plus and I eat well, have good hygiene, take the proper supplements, exercise regularly, and have plenty of supplies and food on hand, and to be honest none of that has ever kept me 100% safe from catching that occasional cold or flu.
But because of all those things I mentioned above I tend to recover better and am at a good age where my immune system is still functioning well.
So to me, no amount of powdered milk, survival food buckets, or whatever you stock up with for fear that going to the market will get you infected, is gonna keep you any safer or unsafe when it comes to a highly contagious virus. It’s just a fact. And I don’t want to go all hermit joe.
I tend not to overreact.
If others want to buy all the respiratory masks Home Depot carries then good for them, and good for 3M as Ramhusker pointed out in his 401k thread.
So approaching it with levity and humor instead of fear is personally the route I take and that approach HAS ZERO AFFECT on whether this goes from pure hype to the end of the world.

I don’t think I’ve read on here of posters “fearing”.

There’s a difference Between fear and being ready.

Nothing wrong with having a couple weeks supply of food should the need arise.

No need to panic. Also no need to ignore the possibility.

Oh, and it’s not going to disappear like a “miracle”

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just went looking for hand sanitizer on Amazon and it's mostly sold out.
I tend not to overreact.

I doubt whether it's the 'fear factor' which motivates preparation so much as just being ready for the unexpected like earthquakes, hurricanes, fires & floods. Coronavirus, for now, is just one more thing added to the list, ... and i'd much rather prepare for my family's well being than explain at a later date why I let them down.
jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So true, they forecasted like 3 inches of snow last February and the supermarkets were bought out! The great Kale shortage of 2019
Up here in northern Nevada we call that "Donner party syndrome" hahaha I live about 45 minutes from where the Donner party happened.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Up here in northern Nevada we call that "Donner party syndrome" hahaha I live about 45 minutes from where the Donner party happened.
Instead of asking for a drum stick at Thanksgiving, I normally ask for a tasty femur ~ OldSchool

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every once in a while, there really is a wolf that's being cried about. Yeah, it's probably pretty safe to say nothing will happen with this virus, at least not something like the Black Death. A 1.2 % death rate (corona virus estimate) is pretty significant if 60% of US citizens catch it. That's about 2.4 million deaths in the USA.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME

Ha that’s perfect. Is it morbid to say I’d love to visit the lake they were stranded at. I find it kinda fascinating and the book The Indifferent Stars Above did nothing to weaken that

…..

Legend
I’m trying to profit. I made 600 bucks on IBIO stock Thursday. IBIO has a process where they can produce 50 million doses of vaccine every 3 weeks. They don’t have a vaccine yet, but whatever. I bought at 45 cents a share and sold at 66 cents a share. It then proceed to run up to $3.50 a share after I sold. So clearly I suck at stocks.

oh wait....you said prepare, not profit.

I’m not Prepared at all. Driving Lyft on my off days for side money has certainly taken a whole new perspective though. The airport in Atlanta feels like a weak link to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.