Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When it comes to masks, I hope we can all agree it doesn’t actually prevent Covid.
Unless mitigation of its spread doesn’t count as preventative for some reason then, no - we can’t all agree on that.
Those are two distinctly different statements.
Wearing a mask doesn't keep you from catching it. That's true. It's proven.

Attempting to mitigate the spread through universal mask wearing as a means of preventing you from catching it is a theory. But if everyone in one place is wearing one, and someone comes out of that place with the virus, then what? Was it prevented? I get what you're saying, but you're debating a point with a strange counterpoint.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You took my quote and manipulated it to fit your statement. And that is really dishonest.

You quoted me as:

"And don't judge those that do not (wear masks in crowded places)."

The purpose of the parentheses is to make clear to a reader that the portion in the parentheses was not your words. They were added to reflect the comment of the prior poster to whom you were responding; and was done so accurately.

That allowed for a concise, clear and complete response in a very long thread.

The walkway comment was deleted because it was irrelevant to my response.

Nothing manipulative or dishonest about it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As for your passive-aggressive comment, I'll decline to engage with that. Disagree with me all you want, Stu, but let's keep personal shots completely out of it, ok?
I love people throwing around the term passive aggressive in a passive aggressive manner. The irony.

But let's move on.

What I can tell you is that my wife's aunt went to the rally in Minden near here and she said they handed out masks and hand sanitizer as well as shot their temperature as they entered. They said that most were wearing them but that large sections were not. So I'm guessing a number of 80 - 90% is indeed pulled out of thin air.

People throw around terms like "Super Spreader" while giving protestors a pass. There is literally no evidence that these events have acted in that manner, though if you read and listen to many in the media, it's a cold hard fact. There was no spike in the Minden/Gardnerville area. There have been varying data at most if not all of the other locations and no correlation has been demonstrated and increases are being seen throughout the nation.

The powers that be have shut down sporting events, restaurants, bars, festivals, schools, weddings, funerals, businesses, industry.... and to what end? They have propagated fear across the country. And to what end? Huge drops in women getting mammograms; millions not being treated for cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc... ; depression rates going through the roof; killing a booming economy; millions losing businesses they worked for years and decades to build; millions losing their livelihood....

Meanwhile, all efforts have not stopped it. Hell... 2 people in Harris' entourage tested positive. Were they being reckless?

Originally, the science was that the virus would die out as the weather warmed. Wrong. It would quickly kill well over 2 million people in the US. Wrong. We needed millions more ventilators. Wrong. We need to build temporary hospitals in NY and WA to prevent being over run. Wrong. We need to be wearing N95 masks. Wrong. The death rate of the virus will be between 4.3 and 11%. Wrong.

I wear a mask most times I am in close proximity to others. I wear them when ever I enter businesses. I don't wear them if I'm having a drink in a bar or eating at a restaurant. I don't wear them at friends' houses unless they are. I sanitize my hands constantly. But I also don't look down on people who don't. I'm not going to demand that each and every one of us live in a bubble with no social interacting so that we can survive through a virus with an infinitesimal death rate associated with it when removing elderly and many underlying health factors.

But like I said... you do you.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Those are two distinctly different statements.
Wearing a mask doesn't keep you from catching it. That's true. It's proven.

Attempting to mitigate the spread through universal mask wearing as a means of preventing you from catching it is a theory. But if everyone in one place is wearing one, and someone comes out of that place with the virus, then what? Was it prevented? I get what you're saying, but you're debating a point with a strange counterpoint.

If there is a room with 100 people in it - one of which has the virus - and 100% mask wearing means that 2-3 people come out of that room with the virus - then the spread was not prevented.

But was it mitigated? If the viral carrier had not been wearing a mask - how many viral people would have come out of that room? if the number is bigger than the 2-3 with the mask - then, yes it was mitigated.

mitigation means something - it doesn’t mean 100% effectiveness.
You can wear a rubber and still get someone pregnant. You can wear a seatbelt and still die in a car wreck. Does that mean that runners and seatbelts don’t work?

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
007.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Those rally / protest attendees will go to the grocery store, to court, to the post office, etc and potentially spread it to people who are trying their hardest to take care of their fellow man.
In the grand scheme of things, these events don't show any kind of causal relationship. And if you think about it, it makes sense as to why.

Those who have it, are fairly unlikely to attend the events in the first place. Most would not want to spread it if they have been around someone who has it or know they have it. So you are left with a VERY small percentage of a given population where a very small number of people who MIGHT have it and MIGHT spread it to another person would be in attendance.

Meanwhile, the people that DO have it unknowingly and have been around others with the virus but are asymptomatic, are going to be going to post offices, grocery stores, etc at likely greater rates because they NEED/HAVE to be in those locations.

Look around. Many if not most people are wearing their masks wrong, constantly adjusting them, touching multiple items in the grocery store, grabbing handles on doors at the post office, sneezing in confined places, elbow bumping (as if that's a solution with short sleeves), handling glasses, packages, and bottles that have been previously handled, etc...

I just don't buy into the axiom that any death is too many without considering the alternatives.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As I’ve said before in this thread, I tend to watch Brian Williams (and Chris Hayes) on MSNBC, but I balance that out with watching Hannity, too.

Well there are your first 3 mistakes.

Seriously. Pull the plug.

Seconded.

If you are watching any cable news, you are wasting your time and polluting your brain. Fucking poison and not intended to inform.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Seconded.

If you are watching any cable news, you are wasting your time and polluting your brain. Fucking poison and not intended to inform.
And use DuckDuckGo or Bing for your internet search engines to work around the confirmation bias.

Unless that is what you want instead of the potential truth.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Unless mitigation of its spread doesn’t count as preventative for some reason then, no - we can’t all agree on that.
There will be no agreeetements.

Even tho wearing face mask and doing contact tracking has been Proven time and time again.

Hell S.Korea has the numbers, Proven it, Yet some deet deet deets here again and again, want to prove something else.

Kidding me, 113 mill have pre existing condition, guess all them should die.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
O and Btw put your height and weight in and see if you're obese lol.

I'm 5'9 165 and they say I'm obese lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
O and Btw put your height and weight in and see if you're obese lol.

I'm 5'9 165 and they say I'm obese lol.
Please tell me you’re saying obesity doesn’t make someone vulnerable to complications from any coronavirus.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Please tell me you’re saying obesity doesn’t make someone vulnerable to complications from any coronavirus.
X there's 113 mil or so with pre existing conditions.

You're a Good person ,you and I just don't agree on this Topic.

I 100 percent agree with S Korea, wear mask and do contact tracking.

They have obese folk,they have folks with pre existing conditions etc etc but 500 times less death.

And yes any health condition hurts, heck they're now saying if you don't have type O blood get ready for a longer hospital stay.

It seems you're saying, I'm not gonna wear a mask and if someone has pre existing conditions, O Well.

Me I'm gonna wear it.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It seems you're saying, I'm not gonna wear a mask and if someone has pre existing conditions, O Well.

Me I'm gonna wear it.
Don’t say stupid shit like that. I said nothing like that at any point in this entire thread. In fact, I’ve continually said the opposite. I wear it everywhere I have to, and I avoid crowds at all times.

And yes, people die. That’s not a callous thing to say if it’s true.

S Korea has less than 8% of our population, so it’s much easier for them to get into compliance. We have States with more than their entire population. Meanwhile our health officials essentially told everybody that this was a big nothingburger for the first 5 months of this year. By the time they turned around and started pointing fingers elsewhere, it was too late. So if you think a Country of 323 million can now afford to lock everyone indoors and that won’t be equally as devastating, then I don’t know what to tell you. As for the virus itself, I’m really not afraid of it. That doesn’t mean I don’t care about anyone else, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.