Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It’s gonna be interesting if a few star QBs/players go down.

Imagine if the Chiefs miss out on the playoffs via tie breaker and Mahomes had to sit for 2 weeks due to Covid where they lost both games.

Or imagine the entire O-Line ends up going down, are you going to trust scrubs off the street to protect your half a billion dollar QB? Do they keep some players separate so they don’t lose an entire position group?

I think they’re gonna push through anyway, but I’m super interested if some players opt out or not, and what extra steps they take for safety. The absolute massive uproar if someone gets seriously injured because they had to field half a team of scrubs would be something else.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't see a season happening this year. I see all the pro sports trying to start up and then each having to shut down because players getting sick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The results of any pro sports season is irrelevant, its important that they just play.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Is that the case? I mean, even if COVID doesn't kill you - is there no in between? I don't think its a binary case of (1) hospital on a ventilator or (2) perfectly fine.
Sure, a wide range from asymptomatic to death. However the numbers across the board reflect clearly who is low risk, moderate risk, high risk and extreme risk. As with all things there are outliers and exceptions, especially when using a number as large as the global population.

Michael Jordan won a playoff game with the flu. Lol i joke but lets not pretend that Covid is going to ravage the player population in terms of illness to the point of them dropping like flies or being subject to any long term problems. I mean, CTE is real. No one cares, they continue to play.

My point is that a league full of asymptomatic or a small pocket of slightly ill athletes is not that different from any other year. It's not a big deal, AS LONG AS THEY'RE IN A BUBBLE ENVIRONMENT that doesn't spread to the 60 year old press agent who's 30 lbs overweight, the 50 year old coach who has diabetes, the players 80 year old grandmother etc.

You know where i stand on this. This virus is serious. It's a potentially deadly threat but its also very deliberate and to be honest, quite predictable in terms of who needs to be protected, vigilant and self responsible. 20-30 year old professional athletes aren't those people.

Off the NFL for a minute. It aggravates me when i see blowback media reports of so many children and the 20-45 age range testing positive for Covid as somehow being evidence that everyone needs to be afraid, and evidence that this is not an overwhelmingly deadly virus to the elderly and weak which it is.

Well yeah, of course the 20-45 range is going to be extremely high in terms of Covid positive. This virus is everywhere and the 20-45 age range is the workforce that has been out there in the public since this began. Rising case numbers don't mean anything in terms of how serious this is. Neither do death numbers unless you break it down.

If Covid was killing newborns, children and young people and the risk decreased as the age increased, and instead we had an asymptomatic population of senior citizens, i wonder how this landscape would look. Would it be politicized? I think not. Would we be far more deliberate and surgical in terms of how we combat the virus? I think so. Hard to say though and IMO we are very lucky that this virus does discriminate.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't see a season happening this year. I see all the pro sports trying to start up and then each having to shut down because players getting sick.
I agree but with the caveat of too many players simply testing positive.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The NBA seems to be approaching this the right way. Ironically though i feel like that's the league that should just call it and prepare for the 2021 season. I mean, training camp for the 2021 season starts in September. It's late July. Just stop.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sure, a wide range from asymptomatic to death. However the numbers across the board reflect clearly who is low risk, moderate risk, high risk and extreme risk. As with all things there are outliers and exceptions, especially when using a number as large as the global population.

Michael Jordan won a playoff game with the flu. Lol i joke but lets not pretend that Covid is going to ravage the player population in terms of illness to the point of them dropping like flies or being subject to any long term problems. I mean, CTE is real. No one cares, they continue to play.

My point is that a league full of asymptomatic or a small pocket of slightly ill athletes is not that different from any other year. It's not a big deal, AS LONG AS THEY'RE IN A BUBBLE ENVIRONMENT that doesn't spread to the 60 year old press agent who's 30 lbs overweight, the 50 year old coach who has diabetes, the players 80 year old grandmother etc.

You know where i stand on this. This virus is serious. It's a potentially deadly threat but its also very deliberate and to be honest, quite predictable in terms of who needs to be protected, vigilant and self responsible. 20-30 year old professional athletes aren't those people.

Off the NFL for a minute. It aggravates me when i see blowback media reports of so many children and the 20-45 age range testing positive for Covid as somehow being evidence that everyone needs to be afraid, and evidence that this is not an overwhelmingly deadly virus to the elderly and weak which it is.

Well yeah, of course the 20-45 range is going to be extremely high in terms of Covid positive. This virus is everywhere and the 20-45 age range is the workforce that has been out there in the public since this began. Rising case numbers don't mean anything in terms of how serious this is. Neither do death numbers unless you break it down.

If Covid was killing newborns, children and young people and the risk decreased as the age increased, and instead we had an asymptomatic population of senior citizens, i wonder how this landscape would look. Would it be politicized? I think not. Would we be far more deliberate and surgical in terms of how we combat the virus? I think so. Hard to say though and IMO we are very lucky that this virus does discriminate.
approve.gif

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
No - I doubt they have the answer either. Like with schools, it’s a problem without very good solutions.

Think about what happens in a season if a team gets a cluster of cases. Do they forfeit the next game? two games? Postpone? Do they play with the players who are available? Can asymptomatic players who are positive play?

I imagine they will ultimately need to protect players with outlandish testing. Testing every player nearly every day - all staff nearly every day. They may also need to completely isolate the teams for the season. Is that realistic?
I read today that is exactly what they are going to do. Test every player, every day is the plan.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cool cool. By the by, is there a test that can determine why I should give a shit about football anymore? I only need to take it once, so I won't really contribute to depleting the resource.
The test is to sit down when a game is on. If you can sit through it and be more interested in the game than anything else going on around you then chances are you still give a shit

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Pro athletes will not “stay in a bubble” to avoid infecting other people, it’s impossible.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All you bastids keep ignoring the recent breaking news about Disneyland. Apparently, humans can't walk and eat at the same time in Disneyland anymore because that's an exception to the face mask wearing rule in the park (we can't bloody have that!). Gotta make sure that you choke on your own moist CO2 as you walk in 100 degree heat with your surgical mask on. Sit in those food court seats and eat that turkey leg next to a thousand of your closest friendly maskless strangers with da Covid about a foot apart!

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cool cool. By the by, is there a test that can determine why I should give a shit about football anymore? I only need to take it once, so I won't really contribute to depleting the resource.
preach.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The test is to sit down when a game is on. If you can sit through it and be more interested in the game than anything else going on around you then chances are you still give a shit
Meh. When your perception of something changes so radically, it's kinda hard to get back to the point where you were just full of youthful exuberance and nothing else mattered. I'll still hang with you fine people here in the back room, but I'm kinda done with being lectured about my moral shortcomings. No big deal. I have other interests.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
From the very beginning, I have always hoped that Americans could view mask-wearing as PATRIOTIC. To me, it shouldn’t matter what your politics are... it’s just a sensible thing we all can do to help prevent spread of disease.

Truly, what could be more patriotic than everyone chipping in and doing their own part to help curb the spread of disease and therefore contribute to our economic recovery?

I mean... would ya wear a mask for Randolph Scott?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYoChoijvY

You’d wear a mask for Sean McVay?

View attachment 37157
So you’d wear a mask to help the country we all love and call home, right?

View attachment 37158

Truly not trying to be facetious here. (And please forgive me for using clips of Randolph Scott and McVay, just trying to add a touch of humor while making a serious point).

For those who are strongly against masks, I can respectfully disagree. And for those who believe that mask-wearing is not something to be “judgmental” about, I can totally respect that opinion as well. I’m just expressing my own opinion that if more Americans viewed mask-wearing as a patriotic act, we could be further along in our efforts to contain the spread, AND we’d have a stronger economy.

Glad that our president has the good sense to read my posts!

Finally, FINALLY, the president shows the common sense to tweet out a picture of himself wearing a mask, along with the following words:
“...many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can’t socially distance.”

FINALLY!

Oh, and yeah, I only posted this so my ROD buddies could cash in on their bets. I could have held out longer, but who am I to deny folks their fake money?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad that our president has the good sense to read my posts!

Finally, FINALLY, the president shows the common sense to tweet out a picture of himself wearing a mask, along with the following words:
“...many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can’t socially distance.”

FINALLY!

Oh, and yeah, I only posted this so my ROD buddies could cash in on their bets. I could have held out longer, but who am I to deny folks their fake money?
What about the Mickey Mouse, mask fascism?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

FINALLY!
*cringe*

Now everybody is intent on making the face mask into a physical badge of tribal identity, and wearing the mask is now about publicly distinguishing the virtuous, even though it does nothing in casual public settings. Fuck sakes. Just to prove a point to my buddy Nick at work today, I wore a mask made of cheese-cloth into Whole Foods (because you can't go in otherwise in Greenville), and nobody said fuck all. It was worthless, but I was nonetheless virtuous.

Why cheesecloth? That's what we use to strain slightly contaminated hydro oil, so I have a ton of it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It reminded me of political talking points on a Sunday morning show. When everyone is using the same terminology, there is a strong likelihood that they aren't using their own words.
Bravo

Tho is not as if that’s anything new to cable news, there is virtually zero of anything I don’t take with a grain of salt spewed by CNN, MSNBC annnnd yes even Fox...they all have sold their souls for $$

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Although it's 100 years removed, the scenario above describes the Spanish Flu, which, unlike most flu viruses, was much more deadly to the young than the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.