Could the Rams consider any of the alternatives to Austin Blythe?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
‘dinky but smart’ is a good description of Blythe. I rewatched the Seattle playoff game. He was running around like a kid in a candy shop getting in the way of people but never really controlling his block. He was constantly getting pushed back in pass plays and helping other OL blocking on run plays but not really taking anyone out by himself. He’s smart and tries hard but he is a C level OC at best. The Rams need and deserve a B+ or better OC.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This center situation is very odd to me. I have no issues with them spending trying to find an effective OC in FA'cy but just does not feel right to me.

Snead has not drafted an OC since 2018. They have been fooling around with a pure stopgap dinky but smart Blythe ever since he was dumped by the Colts. Snead knew Blythe going had a lack of power with alligator arms. This has been known since MAY 16 2017 when he arrived here he was a stop-gap swing OG a stop-gap RG & then a stop gap OC. Stop Gap no longer.

Meanwhile, the entire NFL & non-NFL world has written off the under 6-2/305 Brian Allen who was the last OC Snead drafted. But Allen now entering his 4th season is still here under contract. Allen has 25 gms with 5 starts total of 619 snaps with this Ram offense.

Right now Allen is the only center the Rams have. Just seems like the Rams know something & we have no clue what's going on behind the curtain.

The Rams need to have a lineman under contract at center past 2021.There are to many Free Agents after the season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams need to have a lineman under contract at center past 2021. There are too many Free Agents after the season.
Not only at center either.....Rams have two OL'ers Blythe & Shelton involved in FA'cy now. Then after this season Corbett, Demby, Allen & Noteboom join Shelton & Blythe. Guess by this time next year ...the soon to be 42 yr old Whitworth, Havenstein, Edwards, Evans & Anchrum will be the only OL'ers under contract. That's six OL'ers without contracts.

This should tell us that some of these OL'ers will be getting some new pay increases in new contracts or the Rams will be very busy drafting cheap inexperienced OL'ers in the next 2 upcoming drafts.

Rams 2021 draft: Which small school o-lineman did LA talk to? - Turf Show Times

Tano

Legend
‘dinky but smart’ is a good description of Blythe. I rewatched the Seattle playoff game. He was running around like a kid in a candy shop getting in the way of people but never really controlling his block. He was constantly getting pushed back in pass plays and helping other OL blocking on run plays but not really taking anyone out by himself. He’s smart and tries hard but he is a C level OC at best. The Rams need and deserve a B+ or better OC.
That's why I always stated that Blythe on 3rd and long was absolutely terrible because a bull rush would just put him right into Goff and as a result, Goff was rarely able to have time to throw a decent 3rd and long pass.

Stafford will have the same problem if we don't find a center to stop the bull rushes on 3rd and long.

The first 3 games last year Stafford had similar problems as Goff whenever a guard let an inside rusher get past him.

However, Detroit had a very capable center and that didn't happen that often until Detroit got behind which happened often with Detroit's absolutely terrible defense.