Could the Rams consider any of the alternatives to Austin Blythe?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Just asking the question, for those of you who have taken the time to observe the OL.

I know it’s current conventional wisdom on ROD that Blythe is the weakest link on the OL. For those of you who have watched him... are you sure you agree? Do you remember particular games—or particular plays—where Blythe got crushed?

I only ask because I know many have questioned Edwards in pass pro. And I certainly remember plays where Hav was whipped by the speed rush. And is Corbett truly good enough to be counted on?

I know many of you have a low opinion of PFF. Having said that... I noticed that PFF gave Edwards, Blythe, and Corbett almost identical overall grades: all were rated at either 69 or 70. But everyone is still sure that Blythe is inferior to the other two?

Lastly... again, taken with a huge grain of salt... I was pretty shocked to learn that PFF rated the Rams as having the THIRD best OL in the entire league this year. Wow! They sure didn’t look like it to me. Maybe the run blocking was good, but the pass blocking seemed awfully suspect.

Anyway... I’d be glad if the Rams somehow upgraded the OL. I’d just be curious to know if people strongly believe that the quality of line play is clearly in this order:

Whit
Hav
Corbett
Edwards
Blythe

Thanks for input, and again, comments about OL play from specific games would be appreciated (I might re-watch some games)

Here is the PFF link, for those who wish to complain about it:)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, Blythe was the weak link. No, I don't question Edwards in pass pro.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I definitely think Blythe is the weakest link with Corbett not far behind. The Rams have some good run blockers but the pass blocking up the middle sucked, especially on the right. A top flight center would shore that up. Having one very good player in the middle solidifies the play of the two on either side. I think Edwards has good potential to keep developing.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Edwards and Corbett are average to above average but have room to improve. I noticed them miss their assignments here and there. They win some and lose some but if we get a Center who can hold his own and not get blown up every play and need help from the OGs constantly then I think Edwards and Corbett would look much better. Just my opinion.

oldnotdead

Legend
Edwards will be very limited in his improvement because being 6'6" is too tall to play OG where playing with leverage is an absolute must. But of course, Kromer doesn't know that. Evans at 6'4", 312 lbs is prototypical for an OG. Many of Edward's issues arise from him not being able to get low enough to play with leverage.

Both Blythe and Havenstein are weak links on the o-line. If they are going to bring back Whitworth they need to start Noteboom at RT. But I would be surprised if they brought Whitworth back for just one season. They need the cap space to extend Floyd and Williams, either one is more important than Whitworth as Noteboom has shown he can play the position well.

The decisions they make regarding how they clear the cap to extend Floyd and Williams will reveal just how much they are "all in" this year. March will be a very interesting month for the Rams.

TexasRam

Legend
My personal take, as someone who watches our O-line tape on replay very carefully and repetitiously after each game is Blythe is the weakest link physically. Lots of other posters watch tape and have differing opinions but here is mine:

First off PFF's grading of our guards Corbett and Edwards is pretty accurate. Both were from my review very solid this year. Nothing Pro Bowl worthy but solid enough to win with. Corbett has shown excellent run blocking at times and solid pass pro, but he did miss a few team blocks and assignments this year. That does not at all concern me because he is still very new to this system and position. Edwards is very solid all around, both technique and scheme. That doesn't mean he has the run game push as Corbett but he is very assignment sound. He can get a little overpowered in pass pro a bit which leaves him in the solid category. Not Elite and never will be. When he took over for Noteboom at LG the improvement was big. Noteboom cannot sustain a block or get his man engaged like Edwards.

Whitworth still top level but missed several games. Noteboom filled in pretty good, much better at tackle. But Noteboom is still years away from being at Whit's level and I am not sure he ever will. He just lacks the hands and balance.

Havenstein is what he is. He is a consistently excellent run blocker that can really open holes. He is not completely useless in pass pro but he is a liability when facing certain speed types and top end rushers.

Blythe is mostly scheme sound but he can just get overpowered both in the run game and pass pro. We saw this multiple times this year. It really adds up in the run game over the course of an entire game. If you can't get push at the LOS on short yardage and at the Goaline it creates major issues such as settling for FG's, needing to pass on 3rd and 2, putting yourself in 3rd and long and allowing sacks or rushed QB reactions.

Other blocking concerns that in my opinion are just as huge as the starting 5 Olineman are TE's, WR's and backup O-lineman. The TE's play such a huge role in our run game. Even if all 5 block well, if your TE gets blown back it often results in a loss or no gain. That happened so many times this year I cannot even count. Everett was a nightmare and Higbee was real bad at times as well. Hig's was injured and playing injured quite alot so this was part of it. We have to view the blocking improvement as more than the starting 5 Olineman. Our TE's, WR's and backup Olineman all play a huge role. Kupp tends to be solid but had a few games where he was getting beat. Woods is usually solid. The others are mostly bad, especially Reynolds. We must upgrade the TE and find someone that can really seal edges and get some creases for our run game. The Depth of O-lineman can also be upgraded. The 2017-2018 offense was blessed with health. When you have Noteboom filling in for Whitworth and Evans filling in for Edwards and getting pummeled in a playoff game, that means you need better depth.

PFF overall ratings for our Oline has been argued repeatedly on this board. When your QB is constantly rolling out because the pocket is breaking down that is a sign of a bad Oline. It really screws up the metrics and shame on PFF for not taking that into consideration.

We all saw what a top O-line looked like when we played Green bay. That is a top Oline. We also saw a bad one in the Superbowl when Mahomes could do nothing with those backups in. That is what ours was like with Blythe and Evans. Or when Havenstein is facing a top rusher, or when Noteboom is filling in for Whitworth.

Get a new Center, a new TE, a replacement for Reynolds that can block and establish the run game with Akers. Who, by the way was hurt a good amount. Get a capable depth guy. Move the ball in the run game. Convert short yardage for first downs and at the goaline. Force the defense to commit resources to stop the run and in Mcvays system the play action will be a force. The downfeild shots open up and the rest is history.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wondered yesterday if this OL:

LT - Whitworth
LG - Evans
C - Corbett
RG - Havenstein
RT - Edwards

Might be better. Not sure about Hav at guard but seems like this would negate some of his pass pro issues

Tano

Legend
I saw Blythe get blown up by a bull rush on 3rd and long so many times.

McVay was forced to do WR screens on those plays or draw plays because he knew the middle of the pocket was going to collapse with Blythe in there.

Blythe was usually capable on 1st down and 2nd and short plays but any 2nd and long 3rd and less than 2 or 3rd and long, he was absolutely terrible.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wondered yesterday if this OL:

LT - Whitworth
LG - Evans
C - Corbett
RG - Havenstein
RT - Edwards

Might be better. Not sure about Hav at guard but seems like this would negate some of his pass pro issues

I’d say you have 1 out of 5 right at the start of 2021 season for sure.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I saw Blythe get blown up by a bull rush on 3rd and long so many times.

McVay was forced to do WR screens on those plays or draw plays because he knew the middle of the pocket was going to collapse with Blythe in there.

Blythe was usually capable on 1st down and 2nd and short plays but any 2nd and long 3rd and less than 2 or 3rd and long, he was absolutely terrible.

Say what you want to say about Austin Blythe & Jared Goff.

What I’ll say I enjoyed all the WINNING SEASONS!! You can POST ALL the CRAP you like now.I’ll still remember there WINNING WAYS. Would have been interesting having Matt Stafford as The Rams QB in 2020.I’d say The Rams would have & maybe even WON The SuperBowl with Austin Blythe as The Rams CENTER!!
After the 2018 season I was already ALL at getting rid of Austin Blythe at RG. Is his position in The NFL.Yes-it’s time to move on.
-I say it will be Brian Allen or Coleman. I do not see Corbett moving over to Center,but not against it.I just think it is This MURAD of IMAGINATION from Ram Posters.
Don’t know what I said over the years,but I do move forward with The Times. Not the Fake News LA.Don’t always believe what you read.always good to stay current.

Peace - may it be another Beautiful day for all.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What I’ll say I enjoyed all the WINNING SEASONS!! You can POST ALL the CRAP you like now.I’ll still remember there WINNING WAYS. Would have been interesting having Matt Stafford as The Rams QB in 2020.I’d say The Rams would have & maybe even WON The SuperBowl with Austin Blythe as The Rams CENTER!!
After the 2018 season I was already ALL at getting rid of Austin Blythe at RG. Is his position in The NFL.Yes-it’s time to move on.
-I say it will be Brian Allen or Coleman. I do not see Corbett moving over to Center,but not against it.I just think it is This MURAD of IMAGINATION from Ram Posters.
Don’t know what I said over the years,but I do move forward with The Times. Not the Fake News LA.Don’t always believe what you read.always good to stay current.

Peace - my it be another Beautiful day.
No one said anything about Jared Goff besides you though...way to derail another thread

Flint

Pro Bowler
Seems like we were having this conversation after the super bowl in ‘18, about Blythe getting blown up and the run game getting wrecked, will McVay try to upgrade though. He doesn’t hesitate when it’s a high profile position like RB or QB that obviously needs upgrading but the difference in olines in this year’s SB was drastic.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’d just be curious to know if people strongly believe that the quality of line play is clearly in this order: Whit, Hav, Corbett, Edwards, Blythe
I would say it's likely close to what you have listed. But most of these OL'ers do have some elements in their game & in their skills backpack that's better or worse, so they all vary. Austin Blythe is no longer under contract & a Ram.

#1-LT- AW- He only finished 8 Ram games in 2020 due to injury. Noteboom finished the rest of the regular season @ LT. AW is by far the best pass protector of all our contracted OL'ers.

#2-RT- Rob Havenstein is coming off the best season of his career. His run blocking @ RT is one of the best in the NFL. On the flip side Hav is adequate in his pass protection going up against 43 defenses but when facing smaller & quicker 34 D edge rushers the end result is normally in "Fail Mode".

#3-Left side Swing Reserve- Joseph Noteboom- OL'er Noteboom started 9 regular-season games LT/LG went 6-3 during those starts. A really good technical sound LT in pass blocking...without any real run-blocking power. Noteboom has yet to show any above run blocking capabilities after being named 2019 & 2020 starting LG, but is a more than capable pass blocker, but is currently an ascending reserve swing OT.

#4-LG- David Edwards- This ex HS QB then turned TE initially in college then moved to RT. This now entering 3rd season OL'er has been a starter since his rookie season first @ LG then RG then Back LG. Edwards who is nearly 6-7 tall over 320 lbs is still learning how to play interior OL'er. Edwards is an excellent ascending OL'er who is versatile. Edwards has very good feet, great size & improving strength & his overall length might make him be better utilized @ RT.

#5-RG- Austin Corbett- A 4 yr starter @ LT in college drafted very high by Browns. Has started RT/RG & LG in the past 3 seasons. Indicates a very smart & also highly versatile OL'er. It would be a good idea to find Corbett's best OL post & keep him there to master it. Corbett is a good ascending OL'er.

#6- Swing OG & RT - Bobby Evans will enter his 3rd season, was an outstanding RT in college his junior season. Evans started regular-season gms his rookie season @ RT & did well for a rookie playing in a makeshift OL. IN his 2nd season Evans finished the last 2 regular seasons @ LG & finished 2 gms in playoffs @ LG. Evans played better @ RT than @ LG. Evans is another Kromer ascending OL'er who looking for a starting post going into his 3rd season.

#7-Interior OL'er- Brian Allen-Kromer promoted Allen to starting OC in 2019 before badly injuring his knee & had a rough extra-long rehabbing event mixed in with covid -19 even in the middle of it. Might be working on being a top 3 post top reserve in 2021 for Kromer.

#8-Interior OL'er- Coleman Shelton- Signed before the beginning 2019 season & has been the backup center since that time. Has played in 27 Ram games. Shelton started for 4 seasons in college @ all five posts.

#9-Reserve OL'er- Tremayne Anchrum drafted by Snead & has experienced 2 national championships teams. Played only one post @ RT. Suited up for 13 Ram games his rookie season. It was reported that Kromer was working this rookie @ LT/LG posts.

#10-Reserve OL'er- Chandler Brewer will enter his 2nd season as a 6-6/320 OL'er who took last season off due to Covid 19.... was a good RG in college but Kromer utilized Brewer @ swing OT the entire rookie season. Brewer has a promising rookie season.

#11-Reserve OL'er- Jamil Demby drafted by Snead in 2018 in the 6th rd. Has managed to remain a Ram since. Rams signed him to a reserve/future contract on January 19th,2021

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Seems like we were having this conversation after the super bowl in ‘18, about Blythe getting blown up and the run game getting wrecked, will McVay try to upgrade though. He doesn’t hesitate when it’s a high profile position like RB or QB that obviously needs upgrading but the difference in olines in this year’s SB was drastic.

well if you go back to SuperBowl in2018 you would have known Todd Gurley was not right & The Rams don’t even make the Playoffs imo without CJ Anderson. I don’t see the Offensive Line being the problem. In Fact Rob Havenstien has to go no matter what,just for cap reasons.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
well if you go back to SuperBowl in2018...& The Rams don’t even make the Playoffs imo without CJ Anderson.
I think you are misremembering things. They signed CJ after the philly loss making them 11-3. They won those last two games with CJ in the roster. But they could have lost those games and still won the NFC West. Heck, they could have lost an extra game as well and still made the playoffs.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Peace - may it be another Beautiful day for all.

Not to be insenstive, but... WTF is a MURAD?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Edwards will be very limited in his improvement because being 6'6" is too tall to play OG where playing with leverage is an absolute must. But of course, Kromer doesn't know that. Evans at 6'4", 312 lbs is prototypical for an OG. Many of Edward's issues arise from him not being able to get low enough to play with leverage.

Both Blythe and Havenstein are weak links on the o-line. If they are going to bring back Whitworth they need to start Noteboom at RT. But I would be surprised if they brought Whitworth back for just one season. They need the cap space to extend Floyd and Williams, either one is more important than Whitworth as Noteboom has shown he can play the position well.

The decisions they make regarding how they clear the cap to extend Floyd and Williams will reveal just how much they are "all in" this year. March will be a very interesting month for the Rams.
Trade Havenstein, move Edwards to RT, draft a stud road grading OG...couple of big 6-5 330 dudes should be there late 2 through end of 3 to choose from. And get a FA C or draft that position as well. Unless they think Anchrum or Corbett can move there.

Then let Evans compete with a rookie at LG, Noteboom backs up Whit. Figure out your C spot as I mentioned, RG also Corbett competing with that rookie, and Edwards at RT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
well if you go back to SuperBowl in2018 you would have known Todd Gurley was not right & The Rams don’t even make the Playoffs imo without CJ Anderson. I don’t see the Offensive Line being the problem. In Fact Rob Havenstien has to go no matter what,just for cap reasons.

okay- your totally right on that.

Jared Goff out out dueled Matt Stafford in Detroit. At that time he was playing at an elite level.
I think you are misremembering things. They signed CJ after the philly loss making them 11-3. They won those last two games with CJ in the roster. But they could have lost those games and still won the NFC West. Heck, they could have lost an extra game as well and still made the playoffs.

Your totally right on that The Rams were 11-1. The Detroit game Jared Goff out dueled Matthew Stafford.He was playing at an elite level.
There were so many close games.The teams they beat was impressive.Still making it past the first round without the bye week would have been tough.What looking back does do though is makes me see how quickly a season can change though.
Whatever it is or was makes little difference now.I do look at each game & see a bigger picture.I think The Rams are in an excellent spot as a team. The NFC West is very tough & Will just have to wait and see.Still is only Early February.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not to be insenstive, but... WTF is a MURAD?

FACIAL CREAMs. A good product,but pricey. Myriad is a little different & I miss text & still not sure if that was the right word to use.
Cheers & enjoy the day