Could the Los Angeles Rams Super Bowl window already be closing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
There is so much that can happen in the next few years. What about the draft? Why can't we find capable replacements there? That is where all players come from with the exception of a few UDFA's. FA's become available every year. The offseason after 2019 is a long ways off. I don't see how anyone can determine what's going to happen in two years.

MachS

Hall of Fame
The o lines play is a big concern. Goff's play lately is a big concern, anyone that says otherwise is lying to themselves.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
The o lines play is a big concern. Goff's play lately is a big concern, anyone that says otherwise is lying to themselves.

I've yet to see a single person suggest otherwise. That said, I don't think anyone should suggest the last two and a half weeks of Goff is his "normal" either.

That said, claiming with ZERO analysis to the cap situation, that the Rams "superbowl window" is closing is bad journalism at worst and clickbait at best.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'm pretty sure a rookie dt could do what Suh has done for us this year. They will figure it out, I have alot of trust in the front office .

Good news is we have Cooks, Gurley, and AD locked up for a few more years. That is a great place to start and build from , been hearing about depth all year and it is finally kicking our ass.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Suh, Joyner, Brockers have all been less than expected. Plus you have Barron completely out of position. It doesn't look as good as expected. the good news is...… all we have to be is 1 point better than our opponents. Yeah, it won't do much for our High Blood Pressure meds and we probably need to remember to take that baby aspirin daily...… But it's about being 1 point better. Great jobs, good jobs ,bad jobs all together....just 1 point. Starting w/ the Cardinals

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't posted all week because a) I'm busy at work, and b) I wanted to take time to let things calm down.

So, I'll apologize in advance if any of my thoughts have already been communicated here.

Can't deny that things have changed - not for the better.

Could be any number of reasons but, to me, it's basically one thing:
Opponents have figured out ways to defend the Rams offense ("the blueprint")

I think it started with DET (Patricia) and similar approaches were applied the following two weeks - most effectively by CHI.

* Stuff the run
* Apply pressure to Goff
* Keep everything in front of you
* Limit the Rams to short passes with little chance of RAC
* Double and triple team Donald.

Clearly, it works.

So, now it's up to McVay and company to devise new game plans to overcome those strategies.

McVay took the NFL by storm and was - rightfully - given all the accolades.

But now it's time to really prove he is an offensive genius.

It may be tough to determine if McVay has it figured out before the playoffs.

I'm not sure PHX or SF have the defensive coaching chops and/or personnel to do to the Rams offense what DET, CHI and PHI did. So, I'm really not sure if we'll know if McVay and company have really figured out ways to overcome the new defensive blueprint.

And that worries me.

I'd be extremely surprised if they don't win out... but exactly how effective and flexible the offense will be going into the playoffs is a huge question at this point.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lol no he didn't. He brought in the right guys talent wise they just aren't executing. It can't all be on management. It's not like anyone was criticizing the moves in the summer.

FA additions are not about talent only. It's projecting fit, having guys who will meld in the locker room, estimating which guys love the game enough to perform when they're paid well, etc. It's also why so many teams whiff on adding veteran players through FA.

I see nothing but blame of Wade Phillips here. Which is to be expected, since coordinators are always getting the axe for production. But rarely do fans consider whether the coordinator was set up to fail. Truth is we don't know to what extent Wade signed off on any of those additions. Or whether he was high on any of them. But fans don't seem to have a problem blaming him, when the stacking of the roster is in the GM's lane.

I doubt Snead did everything in a vacuum. But he as the GM is still responsible for roster quality and it's pretty clear this roster on defense is the opposite of that of the offense in that it's full of dudes who don't fit for what they're expected to be doing.

Lots of roster level mistakes...

Electing to extend Joyner via the tag because it was cheap and assuming he would come on strong in year two in this system. But there was a reason, clearly, that Williams had him only as a nickel CB, and it's because his instincts suck.

Signing Suh in FA to be a nose tackle knowing he's an aging vet who hadn't performed up to his contract with the Dolphins. Then ponying up $14M for him and finding out during the regular season that he can't hold his lane without ending up out of most run plays.

Giving up a 2nd round pick for Peters, who doesn't give a flying F about what the call is judging from his half-@$$ efforts and insistence on sitting on the QB's eyes in the hopes he'll get more INTs.

Keeping Easley around on the roster like he's some sort of answer even though he can't get off the trainer's table. We were crackin jokes about how long he'd last in preseason, and lo and behold it sure didn't take long.

Assuming Barron is going to magically not be Barron, a convenient direction to go in given that he was still due a big cap hit this season. Keeping him around I get. But you still gotta consider that position a hole in your roster.

Assuming they'd strike gold with Shields, who in his heyday was a good cover guy that couldn't tackle for $#!T. Well now he's a subpar cover guy who can't tackle for $#!T.

IMO while all this mud's being flung at Phillips, who is a hall of fame DC, maybe we should reserve a handful or two for Les Snead. I love the dude and I know he gave it a good effort to aggressively fill needs, but most of the moves on defense were indeed whiffs and now it needs to be fixed. It's a damn mess.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
FA additions are not about talent only. It's projecting fit, having guys who will meld in the locker room, estimating which guys love the game enough to perform when they're paid well, etc. It's also why so many teams whiff on adding veteran players through FA.

I see nothing but blame of Wade Phillips here. Which is to be expected, since coordinators are always getting the axe for production. But rarely do fans consider whether the coordinator was set up to fail. Truth is we don't know to what extent Wade signed off on any of those additions. Or whether he was high on any of them. But fans don't seem to have a problem blaming him, when the stacking of the roster is in the GM's lane.

I doubt Snead did everything in a vacuum. But he as the GM is still responsible for roster quality and it's pretty clear this roster on defense is the opposite of that of the offense in that it's full of dudes who don't fit for what they're expected to be doing.

Lots of roster level mistakes...

Electing to extend Joyner via the tag because it was cheap and assuming he would come on strong in year two in this system. But there was a reason, clearly, that Williams had him only as a nickel CB, and it's because his instincts suck.

Signing Suh in FA to be a nose tackle knowing he's an aging vet who hadn't performed up to his contract with the Dolphins. Then ponying up $14M for him and finding out during the regular season that he can't hold his lane without ending up out of most run plays.

Giving up a 2nd round pick for Peters, who doesn't give a flying F about what the call is judging from his half-@$$ efforts and insistence on sitting on the QB's eyes in the hopes he'll get more INTs.

Keeping Easley around on the roster like he's some sort of answer even though he can't get off the trainer's table. We were crackin jokes about how long he'd last in preseason, and lo and behold it sure didn't take long.

Assuming Barron is going to magically not be Barron, a convenient direction to go in given that he was still due a big cap hit this season. Keeping him around I get. But you still gotta consider that position a hole in your roster.

Assuming they'd strike gold with Shields, who in his heyday was a good cover guy that couldn't tackle for $#!T. Well now he's a subpar cover guy who can't tackle for $#!T.

IMO while all this mud's being flung at Phillips, who is a hall of fame DC, maybe we should reserve a handful or two for Les Snead. I love the dude and I know he gave it a good effort to aggressively fill needs, but most of the moves on defense were indeed whiffs and now it needs to be fixed. It's a damn mess.
Yeah, and we can probably also throw some shade at.. . Ya know. . the millionaires out on the field that aren't executing or communicating like they should. This is a veteran heavy defense and that shit should not be happening this late in the season. We can blame coaches and GMs all we want, but its the players that ultimately have to play to their potential. That, IMO, is the major issue over the last few weeks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, and we can probably also throw some shade at.. . Ya know. . the millionaires out on the field that aren't executing or communicating like they should. This is a veteran heavy defense and that crap should not be happening this late in the season. We can blame coaches and GMs all we want, but its the players that ultimately have to play to their potential. That, IMO, is the major issue over the last few weeks.

Absolutely. There is plenty of blame to go around. I am just tired of Phillips receiving all of it. And btw, there is a point above too that I think is valid, which is that GMs tend to get away with murder compared to coaches. They tend to get canned due to bad coaching hires plus bad drafting, which can take many years to be established. By the time they do get held accountable there's a large wake behind the bad ones.

And even the good ones, IMO, should receive that annual look at their roster stacking.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
But I can honestly say that I’ve been concerned about Goff’s accuracy for most of the season. It’s little mistakes like not leading a receiver enough, or slightly missing a window. Timing being off or mis-reading a defense and missing a potential explosive play.

I'm trying to quit swearing, especially when I have the chance to really think about what I'm going to say, but...

What in the actual fuck has he been watching this season outside of the last 3 games? Seriously? GTFO

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO while all this mud's being flung at Phillips, who is a hall of fame DC, maybe we should reserve a handful or two for Les Snead.

Well, why not bump it up a notch and bring Kroenke into the discussion?

Who's got the most at stake here? Kroneke.

He's got a LOT invested in his soon-to-be-built palace and needs a splash now.

I think it'd be naive to think he wasn't the puppeteer in all of the off-season moves.

Look at all those signings... big names. Names that got everyone excited and put as many fannies in the seats as they could hope to get, considering the circumstances.

Don't they call him "Silent Stan"? He may not say much publicly, but I have zero doubt he isn't the mastermind behind a lot of things that happen with this team.

So, you want blame? You think most of the moves were window dressing, just to make a splash? Not a lot of thought given to whether these guys can actually play anymore (or play in the current systems)?

I say look no further than the very top of the organization. The buck stops there!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Wade, but I'd be willing to bet that whether this season ends in jubilation or disappointment, he will hang it up after this year.

And the Rams will let Suh, Joyner and Barron walk. We will replace them with FAs or draft picks and this defense will be much better next season.

On offense we may need to focus on the OL more than we thought, and potentially add depth at WR. But this team will be better next year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
They are armchair QB's, with no journalistic training or background.

I was a journalism major at San Jose State(which is probably why I get triggered by spelling and grammatical errors). I even played a little high school football like Al Bundy. Do I get to start my own sports website and pontificate? Who's with me? :banana:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
No, it's not closing.

With the exception of Goff (who WILL be re-signed) all of our offensive skill position players are locked up for several seasons. I also expect Kupp to be locked up once his rookie contract is done. We are a bit long on the tooth in the OL, but we picked up a couple of young guys who I expect will be ready to step up as starters maybe as early as next year.

On D, we still need some work and personnel and scheme adjustments, but we have our best player locked up for five more seasons after this one. We can fix the other positions, and will have draft picks and cap space to do so.

Barring injuries (knock on wood!) we should be good for several years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, you want blame? You think most of the moves were window dressing, just to make a splash? Not a lot of thought given to whether these guys can actually play anymore (or play in the current systems)?

I've been pretty clear that I'm just trying to make sure we're keeping more than Wade in the conversation when it comes to the blame game. So it's not that I want to lay blame, but rather and for the millionth time, I am tired of seeing Wade take all the flak.

As to thought being given to whether these guys can play... I think the Rams knew they were rolling the dice with Peters, but figured with Talib back there and a strong locker room he'd fall in line. I think they knew they were rolling the dice with Suh, who hadn't played well in Miami, but projected him to do well. I think they knew Barron came with a big cap hit so tried to just get him to engage so they could get one good year from him. And with Joyner I think they projected he'd improve in year two not regress.

In FA you win some lose some. But when you lose just about all your key decisions on defense it makes me think they put too much faith in Wade's ability to maximize guys. He gives you more leeway with dumb players, and with iffy locker room types. But if your final roster has too many question marks there's a good chance they're not all going to work out. And in our case most of them didn't which sucks but again it's not something that should be 100% on the staff even though that is what ends up happening.

Lastly irt Kroenke... I don't know what his involvement was in the moves. He approved them and trusted his organization to make good moves, certainly. But you can't fire an owner. And for the most part stacking a roster is not his primary duty. So if I'm Stan what I am going to want to know at end of season is what went wrong and how are we going to prevent it from happening again.