Could Cam Akers be this year’s CJ Anderson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
F them legs.

1638411656793.jpeg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he would only be eligible to come back if they made the playoffs?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There is no way they let him come back if they think there is a chance he can reinjure it this year versus next season.

That said did you watch that video? He has as much chance tearing it doing that as anything else.

He won’t be completely over this next year or maybe ever. If there’s a chance he elevates the offense, I’m onboard. Bring it!!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I thought he had an Achilles injury? Normally, it takes a minimum of 6-12 months to heal and rehab the injury. I believe he was injured in July so 6 months will be in January. But a premature return could jeopardize his career long-term. IMO he would be foolish in the extreme to take the chance of re-injury.
Sorry dude, but that is spoken like an old man.
And I would know. :sunglasses:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
It was a torn Achilles tendon. According to WebMD, it’s 4-6 months to be “back to full activity” but “about a year” to be “totally recovered.”

To me, that suggests that a young athlete COULD return in 5 months (late December). Whether he’d be healthy enough to be effective and not create undo risk of re-injury…I’ll leave that to the doctors.
I'm gonna re-post this link from the main Cam Akers thread. A surgeon provides his opinion about the potential for Cam to return in January.

Clearly, this surgeon is skeptical of the idea. His main point IMHO is that Cam in January 2021 would be "very unlikely to be the Cam we remember." He just thinks Cam's body wouldn't have the full 9-12 months needed to completely recover. The surgeon used phrases like "possible but very improbable" when discussing Cam's ability to return to top form after just 6 months. And yes, this surgeon stated that of course the risk of reinjury had to be considered as well.

There are definitely some times when doctors can have differing opinions. The data sample for "NFL players wanting to return post-Achilles surgery in 6 months instead of 9-12" is of course going to be a very small sample size. So, perhaps the Ram docs (who might suggest Cam could be ready)would disagree with the surgeon in this particular video.

Really curious as to how this plays out.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=461&v=6faanS4yYUg&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
It was a torn Achilles tendon. According to WebMD, it’s 4-6 months to be “back to full activity” but “about a year” to be “totally recovered.”

To me, that suggests that a young athlete COULD return in 5 months (late December). Whether he’d be healthy enough to be effective and not create undo risk of re-injury…I’ll leave that to the doctors.
Not all tears are the same. We don't know about this one.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Not all tears are the same. We don't know about this one.
Tears are different, and healing powers vary also.

Adrian Peterson defied conventional wisdom about the timeline for returning from ACL surgery. Can Cam Akers be like AP and break the conventional rules? I dunno, but it sure sounds like AP in 2012 was a freak of nature...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I would be very nervous if Cam returned this season. For one, how long would he need to be in full football condition? Could we realistically expect the Same Cam Akers pre injury? If he's not close to same they should not bring him back. The window for being a legit playoff team should still be open for a couple more years. Don't do anything to jeopardize that. Imagine how they could be with a 100 percent ready Cam Akers.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I think Snead and McVay will roll the dice "super bowl or bust" mentality and play Ackers this year.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
In 2018, a funny thing happened on the way to the Super Bowl…

Todd Gurley, was on an MVP pace for much of the season. Then, during the latter stages of the season and into the playoffs, he succumbed to a combination of injury/wear and tear, and his usage dropped substantially.

In came CJ Anderson off the scrap heap and, with fresh legs, he replaced Gurley in the final two games, and out-carried him 46 attempts to Gurley’s 24 in the playoffs.

This year, Darrell Henderson has held up reasonably well in a feature role, but is showing signs of wearing down. Meanwhile, Cam Akers is potentially nearing a point where he could return.

Could Cam provide a late season spark with fresh legs and urgency and, if he does, could that move the needle on the Rams’ playoff odds?

I, for one, am hoping to watch the Rams rally around Cam and play good football.

I think he can, I just think it’s unlikely. Honestly with the type of injury he sustained I’m not sure he can ever be as effective as he was pre-injury.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Asking because I truly don't know. Shouldn't there be at least 1 unemployed "power" RB out there on a couch somewhere? We could use a BIG North and South RB. Who cares if he cannot catch passes. Who even cares if he can block really well. We need to pound the ball with a heavier RB than we have!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think he can, I just think it’s unlikely. Honestly with the type of injury he sustained I’m not sure he can ever be as effective as he was pre-injury.

Modern day medicine & rehab has changed so much over the years.

Personally I don’t know what really is the big concern about Cam Akers future.
IMO he should really help The Rams make a good playoff run this season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Asking because I truly don't know. Shouldn't there be at least 1 unemployed "power" RB out there on a couch somewhere? We could use a BIG North and South RB. Who cares if he cannot catch passes. Who even cares if he can block really well. We need to pound the ball with a heavier RB than we have!

Well I’d say you need to wait & see how SONY does right now until Cam Akers gets healthy.
Did you see his KR when he bobbled it? He is a good blocker & is bigger than HENDO.The Rams aren’t looking for that type of RB you so ask about.
To answer your question is I’m sure there are a few RB’s that can’t do any of those things sitting on the couch.I’d say that is probably 99% of the reason they are Sitting On The Couch. Actually what about a guy who lines up offsides on a Bigtime Punt to give GB a 1st down at 6’1 225 vs HENDO at 208# ? Ehh BUDDY? (Boom boom) Powell.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Well I’d say you need to wait & see how SONY does right now until Cam Akers gets healthy.
Did you see his KR when he bobbled it? He is a good blocker & is bigger than HENDO.The Rams aren’t looking for that type of RB you so ask about.
To answer your question is I’m sure there are a few RB’s that can’t do any of those things sitting on the couch.I’d say that is probably 99% of the reason they are Sitting On The Couch. Actually what about a guy who lines up offsides on a Bigtime Punt to give GB a 1st down at 6’1 225 vs HENDO at 208# ? Ehh BUDDY? (Boom boom) Powell.

Sony's great. Very tough and strong. I don't think he can take the main work load for 5 more games PLUS playoffs. We just need a big heavy 4 yards and a cloud of dust North South RB on the team right now. Just my opinion.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sony's great. Very tough and strong. I don't think he can take the main work load for 5 more games PLUS playoffs. We just need a big heavy 4 yards and a cloud of dust North South RB on the team right now. Just my opinion.

Well today it was 24 for 121 with an average of 5 yards plus TD.Had 3 catches & blocked well.
Imo I believe Cam Akers will be ready & Henderson will complement them all.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All due respect to @oldnotdead but this really isn't the same thing at all and comparisons aren't that useful imho.

Adrian Peterson came back from an ACL in 8 months and almost broke the single-season record.

I know it's a different injury, but it shows what these guys can do with cutting edge medical support.

If he's ready they will play him, if he isn't I highly doubt they will just roll the dice. Let the doctors, the staff and himself decide.

I heard an interview with James Anderson (I think that's his name) who does a lot of the ACL surgeries and he was saying that a lot of the recovery is psychological. They know they can get the ACL back to where it was in X months (can't remember the figure) but it takes the player time to trust the knee enough to fully commit.

An ACL was 18-months and an Achilles was a career-ender in the 70s' but this ain't the 70s'.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I am just absolutely shocked at some of the stuff Akers is doing since tearing it at the very end of July.

Wild stuff.

View: https://twitter.com/HoldenCantor/status/1465797395950800903?s=20

I'm not sure if I'm impressed by this or not. I'm definitely with Schrodinger on this video. Until I find out whether he tore his left or right Achilles, I am both very impressed and completely unimpressed :LOL:

It is awesome to see all these recovery videos. He seems to be doing well and I'm excited for whenever he's able to come back.

sloramfan

Starter
one word...

merriwether....

great LB for the chargers before his achilles tear... no where near as good a year later, lost his explosion AND speed, and retired soon thereafter....

hopeful for cam... but not this year...

go rams

slo

p.s. if you're reading this cam, i hope i'm eating a huge plate of crow come the playoffs...