Confident in Darrell Henderson for the duration of 17 games?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
And I will put it up another 3 times.

I'm not happy with the depth of the backup RB's on the roster to win a Lombardi.

0 carries by the backups has me worried.

You can blow this off and be content. I'm concerned.
I like that they have a stable of young, hard runners and a solid OL.

Ram65

Legend
I think the prob with Bell is his personality. The guy would definitely help us it just seems like teams don't want to deal with his BS.

But I'm with you on him. I think the need is great enough to add him. And with this roster and offense maybe he'd just STFU and do his job who knows. I mean a guy like him could make a big difference for us in the playoffs assuming he's got his head on straight which yes is a big assumption lol.

To start with I trust Snead to do his due diligence on Bell. Some positives

1. He has been working out.
2. He has gotten paid so money may not be a big issue.
3. McVay and the Rams culture. Maybe he can buy-in.
4. Should still have good legs after not playing much in recent years.

Negatives
His tweeter.... ouch.

I don't know if he can keep quiet. They should take away his account if they sign him.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
I think if he lasts 17 games a primary, he would have a monster year, I think he's a really good back. I just need to see it to believe it durability- wise, we need to have a solid #2 option just as a security blanket.

Ramon Ram

Starter
Still have some FA options if McVay wants.
1- Duke Johnson, probably the freshest of options and he catches the ball out of backfield.
2- Frank Gore, can be the goal line guy and short yardage as needed and great for locker room and no doubt knows how to navigate his way through a full season and needs that ring.
3- Bell, meh
4- Roster cuts but why are they cut?

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Please spare me the Funk, Xavier Jones and Raymond Calais optimism.
First of all calais or anderson are not even part of the equation. Too small for pass protect.
They are gonna wait and see what they have in Jones and Funk.
Waiting until later is not an issue as long as they sign someone who
has played long enough to understand pass protect.
It does not take very long for a running back to go from signing to
significant playing time. When you hear about backs taking a long time to aclimate
It's usually because of lack of understanding in pass protection
The only other holdup is a back not familiar with running behind a zone.
Other than that it's a plug and play just like CJ.
He wasn't an outlier he was a veteran.
Some one like Adrian Peterson would fall right in without a hitch (Not saying we should sign him
Just using him as an example.
Relax Bro McSnead have a plan a -z

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Adrian Peterson
If we go older guy, that's my guy. Leading rusher on a poor Detroit oline putting up 600yds and a 3.9 ypc.
scored 7 td's. had 4 runs over 20.
He is a big stocky guy that would be nice in short yardage and compliment
Hendo's speed.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you need to repeat that for us simpletons.

Oh please do. That will really make us see the validity of your point. I mean if you repeat it enough I'm sure McVay will realize the error of his ways and sign someone who has more than zero NFL snaps.

Or maybe he already knows like I'm sure all of US, exactly how many NFL snaps our RBs have.

The concern is potentially warranted. But repeating the same thing over and over is kinda silly.

RBs will all start with zero reps. And we will not know what kind of quality we have until when or if they get some snaps.

McVay may also have some RBs in his sights. He may also think our RBs are as good as those he could reasonably expect to sign. Not sure.

I had a strong opinion about my concerns with the RB depth @RamFan503.

If I posted my point too many times (by displaying their lack of NFL carries 3 times) sorry if you or anyone got annoyed.

This is a message board and sometimes things get repeated more than they need to be.

I'm not going change my posting ethics bases on your comment that I was tying to force the validity of my point.

I was speaking to ROD members and never implied to the posters on this forum that they are simpletons.

There are very high NFL IQ's on this forum regarding the Rams and other teams and I appreciate the feedback.

I trust McVay and the coaching staff know what they're doing regarding the RB.

I posted my concerns why I don't feel comfortable with the Rams depth behind Darrell Henderson.

Some responses to my concerns were acting like I thought the sky would fall if they don't add a veteran RB yesterday.

I never said or insinuated they were going to regret not adding another RB.

I'm merely concerned about the RB depth and I still am.

I get the relax dude posts followed by why McVay has a plan and he will simply bring in another RB after a couple of preseason games if needed.

I don't relax when I have concerns about depth or certain position groups that have question marks.

I might be way off about our current roster of RB's.

They could end up being a solid, young inexperienced RB group by committee and take the league by storm.

Over the years, I've learned not to trust preseason results as a barometer of how good players will translate to the regular season.

I don't have any specific RB's on my radar, I just prefer the Rams add a RB that has some NFL carries on their resume before the 3rd preseason game is over.

Have a good evening sir... I'm enjoying mine :helmet:

running-back-getting-tackled-vector-id472389171

Last edited:

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good vets are always available alter the final cuts are made.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I had a strong opinion about my concerns with the RB depth @RamFan503.

If I posted my point too many times (by displaying their lack of NFL carries 3 times) sorry if you or anyone got annoyed.

This is a message board and sometimes things get repeated more than they need to be.

I'm not going change my posting ethics bases on your comment that I was tying to force the validity of my point.

I was speaking to ROD members and never implied to the posters on this forum that they are simpletons.

There are very high NFL IQ's on this forum regarding the Rams and other teams and I appreciate the feedback.

I trust McVay and the coaching staff know what they're doing regarding the RB.

I posted my concerns why I don't feel comfortable with the Rams depth behind Darrell Henderson.

Some responses to my concerns were acting like I thought the sky would fall if they don't add a veteran RB yesterday.

I never said or insinuated they were going to regret not adding another RB.

I'm merely concerned about the RB depth and I still am.

I get the relax dude posts followed by why McVay has a plan and he will simply bring in another RB after a couple of preseason games if needed.

I don't relax when I have concerns about depth or certain position groups that have question marks.

I might be way off about our current roster of RB's.

They could end up being a solid, young inexperienced RB group by committee and take the league by storm.

Over the years, I've learned not to trust preseason results as a barometer of how good players will translate to the regular season.

I don't have any specific RB's on my radar, I just prefer the Rams add a RB that has some NFL carries on their resume before the 3rd preseason game is over.

Have a good evening sir... I'm enjoying mine :helmet:

running-back-getting-tackled-vector-id472389171
It's a legitimate concern. No doubt McVay and Snead have a plan, even if only to address any further erosion through injury, but losing Akers still hurts. It's not just an erosion in depth but in versatility of skills that Akers helped to cover as an all around talent.

Though I like our speed at RB a lot, there are now more questions such as blocking, power running, and overall experience. Not to say these can't be answered, but exactly how it will play out remains to be seen.

I personally would like to see a veteran such as Peterson signed, now or later. He can still play and could fill a lot of gaps. Maybe there are other solid candidates as well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Frank Gore is only 38.

Of the vet names; he feels like the closest fit to what we might need.

But… I want to see Xavier Jones before feeling the need to make a move.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I personally would like to see a veteran such as Peterson signed, now or later. He can still play and could fill a lot of gaps. Maybe there are other solid candidates as well.
FWIW I'd rather look into making a deal for an conditional draft choice for someone like Royce Freeman of Denver, he's a California kid and has great size, plus he can catch the football too. IMO, the combination of Henderson/Freeman plus Funk would improve the depth, unless Jones really shines in preseason.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have no doubts about Henderson's ability. He's a home run hitter type back who can score from anywhere. He's stronger than people think when breaking tackles. But I do have doubts about his durability. I don't think they can rely on him for 17 games.

I have a feeling they're waiting to see how the other guys look in real action during the preseason. There are some vets out there waiting to sign with someone. There might be some cuts before the season. There will be opportunities to pick up a more experienced back before the season starts.

It would be nice if someone behind Henderson stepped up and they didn't need to sign anyone. But at this point we don't know if any of these youngsters are ready.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I’m not expecting a heavy use of Henderson early in the season if you want his legs fresh moving into the postseason. Hope the other RBs will be up to speed in pass protection since that is an absolute prerequisite in McVay’s offense

dang

Legend
iMO the Rams are patiently seeing what they have at RB and waiting to see all options from cuts before making their final decision. I don’t see them trading for a RB but I do think they will pick up an available vet who can block and power run. They don’t want RB to be their offensive Achilles heal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First of all calais or anderson are not even part of the equation. Too small for pass protect.
They are gonna wait and see what they have in Jones and Funk.
Waiting until later is not an issue as long as they sign someone who
has played long enough to understand pass protect.
It does not take very long for a running back to go from signing to
significant playing time. When you hear about backs taking a long time to aclimate
It's usually because of lack of understanding in pass protection
The only other holdup is a back not familiar with running behind a zone.
Other than that it's a plug and play just like CJ.
He wasn't an outlier he was a veteran.
Some one like Adrian Peterson would fall right in without a hitch (Not saying we should sign him
Just using him as an example.
Relax Bro McSnead have a plan a -z

Good vets are always available alter the final cuts are made.
I do think the plan is to fill that 4th spot with a cut from another team. There's a lot of backs floating around and should be a few they're interested in, so hopefully they manage to get a claim in on one of them when the cuts come.

Only reason Calais factors in is returns. He's not any sort of answer for us as a back I agree. Same with Anderson, I'm sure he's a good kid but he's not good enough.

Right now we have Hendy > Jones/Funk. Not sure which of those two is primary backup. Have a feeling it's gonna be Funk given the camp reports. But preseason is gonna factor in really big on that IMO as it should.

Getting a 4th back would be a great thing to ensure we're ok there because of our 3 guys Hendy has been injury prone and Funk has two rebuilt knees. So I expect that is going to happen just a matter of time and if that back they claim can do returns it's a damn windfall.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Only reason Calais factors in is returns. He's not any sort of answer for us as a back I agree. Same with Anderson, I'm sure he's a good kid but he's not good enough.
Yep strictly return or gadget roles

MERLIN- But preseason is gonna factor in really big on that IMO as it should.

Yep gonna be huge factor in direction McSnead take.
As far as veteran options I slill like Adrian over the rest, but maybe we get a break
on someone else's cutdowns

Better yet what if Funk and Jones shock the hell out of us>

Last edited:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Y'all need to get down, and get Jake Funk-y!
Count me in as a fan of the Funk
Love what little college tape he has and is making noise in
camp, which means his skill is translating. Just gotta keep him healthy.

Ram65

Legend
On a side note, Funk surprises me with his build. Looks like he is put together well and strong.

I think we all would feel better knowing the Rams have an all-around proven back behind Hendu.

Waiting is not always easy. I trust Snead, McVay, coaches and the Rams scouting departments to find the help if needed. They have been doing a great job putting and keeping the Rams a winning team for years.

Do you have trust in the Rams to do what needs to be done?

Last edited: