Combine Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Not sure why but I’m drawn to Mitchell over Wiggins or McKinstry.
I think a lot of people are at this point. McKinstry is now seen as a 2nd round prospect. Mitchells seems to have it all really, size, athleticism, coverage ability, etc. I think he may become census top CB before the draft.
Unless, by some miracle, Alt or Fashanu falls that far.
I can't see a world Alt drops to us. If he did, absolutely sprint to the podium. Blue chip stud LT. Fashanu has some warts but he's still a top notch LT prospect, and likely won't sniff 19.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoping the Penn St edge running so well helps push Latu down. Hate that I have my hopes up for him but damn it would be incredible to see that beast next to AD.
Latu lover!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Give me Vaki at S.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’d say the narrative around avoiding additional medicals at the combine, repeated stories around trying to get around rookie contracts, CBA requirements and questions around work ethic and coachability. Any team that drafts him will have done their due diligence and made a risk based decision (as is with all draft picks). Seems like a risk
Where are questions about work ethic & coachability coming from? I follow USC closely.. heard nothing of it.
I think most of what you’re suggesting is tired media narrative or stuff that has been misconstrued.
But that’s me… I’ve seen nothing but a player who works hard and leaves it all on the field for his teammates. Cares a lot.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Where are questions about work ethic & coachability coming from? I follow USC closely.. heard nothing of it.
I think most of what you’re suggesting is tired media narrative or stuff that has been misconstrued.
But that’s me… I’ve seen nothing but a player who works hard and leaves it all on the field for his teammates. Cares a lot.
I’ll take your word from it on that - I’m not a huge PAC-12 guy. But it does seem that there is a lot of discussion around him at the moment outside of his football accolades - slow news cycle in the lead up to the draft?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’ll take your word from it on that - I’m not a huge PAC-12 guy. But it does seem that there is a lot of discussion around him at the moment outside of his football accolades - slow news cycle in the lead up to the draft?
Yeah. Too much spotlight.. he DOES do some things differently on the business side… but I don’t know how much of that is him or the product of the NIL environment.

He did pay for his Oline to go to the Heisman ceremony, for what it’s worth.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah. Too much spotlight.. he DOES do some things differently on the business side… but I don’t know how much of that is him or the product of the NIL environment.

He did pay for his Oline to go to the Heisman ceremony, for what it’s worth.
Thats a great point - the NIL environment, while still embryonic, is changing the landscape for college sports. Being a first mover, Caleb Williams is a potential test case for the NFLPA and the NFL around college stars making the leap to the NFL. Should be an interesting few years!

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
This article could have gone with Caleb responds to questions, but noooooooo.
It's "Defiant Caleb". He didn't go all Ryan Leaf on the reporter or anything.

https://www.si.com/college/usc/foot...xplains-decision-to-not-throw-at-combine-mac4

I mean, I'm all for Caleb negativity, but this week isn't fueling it for me.

And one orange-yellow, not quite red, flag for me is the massive production in a Lincoln Riley system. I need someone to do a deep-dive breakdown on Kyler v. Baker v. Caleb. Some people remember that Kyler had the "generational" tag. Jalen kind of avoids things by spending so much time under Saban & staff.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

https://www.si.com/college/usc/foot...xplains-decision-to-not-throw-at-combine-mac4

And one orange-yellow, not quite red, flag for me is the massive production in a Lincoln Riley system. I need someone to do a deep-dive breakdown on Kyler v. Baker v. Caleb. Some people remember that Kyler had the "generational" tag. Jalen kind of avoids things by spending so much time under Saban & staff.
I honestly think it's funny that people think Kyler comps are negatives when it comes to his play.

Caleb WAS the offense much of the time.

I have my own concerns related to play.... Whether he'll stay patient within a system being the biggest one.

But the kids has a cannon.. is big enough, he's not real tall, but he's a legit 215.. and has some incredible instincts.

Lots of guys over the years haven't thrown at the combine.. he's just got that massive magnifying glass on him right now.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
Wouldn’t be upset with him opposite Young. They could force the qb to step up pretty quickly, allowing Turner and Donald to do their thing
The question with Chop is how he would stand up against the run at NFL level. He’s certainly one of the best pure pass rushers in the draft.

Tano

Legend

I watched the majority of the USC games the last two years and Caleb is a QB who so far takes forever to find an open receiver but when he does - he guns it accurately to that receiver.

Is it a product of the Riley system to take so long finding an open receiver because I believe Baker and Kyler had the same issues. Then again, both of them still have issues finding an open receiver in the NFL. But at least Caleb has more athleticism than Baker and a greater height than Murray so I think he will do much better than both of them in the right system.

Chicago? Washington? They both might destroy Caleb.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Nate Tice and Diana Russini on the pod talking all conversations they've had with agents this week. Very good listen.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

It's been like that every year it seems of late. They did the same shit to Levis last year. First they beat him up about his production dip even though there were reasons for it, then the shit like his weird personality even the mayo in coffee thing. So I agree with you, there is a complete fucking lack of objectivity with today's media.

Williams hasn't done anything wrong. At least nothing that wasn't done worse by top QB prospects prior. Imagine if he had pulled an Elway. But the writer is young and doesn't remember any of that because she wasn't around when it happened. And probably doesn't have much of a clue with the game to include the perspective side. It's rampant nowadays man. There are outliers like Jourdan but overall I have a hard time reading online articles. This is why I pay for the Athletic, which annoys me, because I do like to at least be able to read a sports section at times without being disgusted.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Wouldn’t be upset with him opposite Young. They could force the qb to step up pretty quickly, allowing Turner and Donald to do their thing
I'm worried about his lack of production. He's similar to OWeh in that regard. 6 sacks in his 3 year career at PSU. 15 tackles last year. If he's such a freak of nature (which athletically it appears he is) why was he not productive? He had 2 of the 4 sacks against a vastly inferior opponent U Mass.

He's a 2nd round prospect for me.
Nate Tice and Diana Russini on the pod talking all conversations they've had with agents this week. Very good listen.
Which pod is that?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm worried about his lack of production. He's similar to OWeh in that regard. 6 sacks in his 3 year career at PSU. 15 tackles last year. If he's such a freak of nature (which athletically it appears he is) why was he not productive? He had 2 of the 4 sacks against a vastly inferior opponent U Mass.

He's a 2nd round prospect for me.

Which pod is that?
Sorry, the Athletic football pod. When Nate Tice or Robert Mays do that one or any time Charles Robinson is on Zero Blitz seem like required listening to be up to date on football goings on.

Tice and Mays do the best week in week out analysis of play and coaching I've ever heard and Robinson is the most dialed in of any person I've heard as to what's gonna happen in the NFL a week before a story breaks.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Love The Athletic football pods.
Russini is a hoot.
The Caleb Williams tidbit was fun.. for those who haven’t listened.. a front office guy told her he was a little wary going into a conversation with Williams and came out of it very, very positive, fwiw.
I love the Sando/Mueller pod.. the old guys offsetting Mays and Tice.. really just fun, comfortable stuff.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Love The Athletic football pods.
Russini is a hoot.
The Caleb Williams tidbit was fun.. for those who haven’t listened.. a front office guy told her he was a little wary going into a conversation with Williams and came out of it very, very positive, fwiw.
I love the Sando/Mueller pod.. the old guys offsetting Mays and Tice.. really just fun, comfortable stuff.
Man, there's something about Sando and Mueller's riffing, schtick, whatever and sound of voice that irks me. And I never seem to come away with new knowledge like I do with Tice and Mays. But perhaps that's cause I can't get over their voices and haven't listened for awhile.