Colts Win, Draft implications?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What happens if we're tied with Colts at end of season? Who gets No. 1 pick?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I will never root for the Rams to lose, but if we did end up with the first pick (which could happen given our last two opponents) then i would be excited. Some team out there will trade the farm for Luck, and we can fill loads of holes. Never been a proponent of the trade down, but you gotta think that we would get an offer we couldn't refuse in this scenario.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
If all three teams (Colts, Vikings, Rams) stay at two wins, the Colts still have the top pick. Minnesota would have the second spot, and the Rams sit at number three. That's based on strength of schedule, i.e. the combined record of each teams' opponents. The late season improvement of the other two NFC West teams, Seattle and Arizona, makes the Rams' strength of schedule even harder than the others.

But there's still football left to play.

The Colts finish the season against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Extrapolating based on recent results, that's a very winnable game for once hapless Colts. Three wins would take them out of the running for the first pick.

A three-win Colts team would give the first overall pick to the Vikings, a team that, like the Rams, has their quarterback of the future already in place.

Minnesota plays the Redskins this week, a winnable game, especially if Jared Allen's disdain for losing takes hold with the rest of his teammates. They wrap up the season against the Bears, a less winnable game, but who thought Indianapolis would beat the Colts.

And then there's the Rams. They play in Pittsburgh this week, with a makeshift offensive line tasked with keeping James Harrison from ripping Kellen Clemens limb from limb. They wrap up the season against San Francisco, a team that needs to win out the season in order to win the battle for the NFC's second seed with New Orleans.

Obviously, the Rams have the toughest schedule of the group.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/12/23/2657368/2012-nfl-draft-order-andrew-luck-st-louis-rams-indianapolis-colts-minnesota-vikings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/12/23 ... ta-vikings</a>

superfan24

Starter
X said:
interference said:
If all three teams (Colts, Vikings, Rams) stay at two wins, the Colts still have the top pick. Minnesota would have the second spot, and the Rams sit at number three. That's based on strength of schedule, i.e. the combined record of each teams' opponents. The late season improvement of the other two NFC West teams, Seattle and Arizona, makes the Rams' strength of schedule even harder than the others.

But there's still football left to play.

The Colts finish the season against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Extrapolating based on recent results, that's a very winnable game for once hapless Colts. Three wins would take them out of the running for the first pick.

A three-win Colts team would give the first overall pick to the Vikings, a team that, like the Rams, has their quarterback of the future already in place.

Minnesota plays the Redskins this week, a winnable game, especially if Jared Allen's disdain for losing takes hold with the rest of his teammates. They wrap up the season against the Bears, a less winnable game, but who thought Indianapolis would beat the Colts.

And then there's the Rams. They play in Pittsburgh this week, with a makeshift offensive line tasked with keeping James Harrison from ripping Kellen Clemens limb from limb. They wrap up the season against San Francisco, a team that needs to win out the season in order to win the battle for the NFC's second seed with New Orleans.

Obviously, the Rams have the toughest schedule of the group.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/12/23/2657368/2012-nfl-draft-order-andrew-luck-st-louis-rams-indianapolis-colts-minnesota-vikings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/12/23 ... ta-vikings</a>

Thanks for clarifying....ESPN has been screwing this up

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
ScotsRam said:
I will never root for the Rams to lose, but if we did end up with the first pick (which could happen given our last two opponents) then i would be excited. Some team out there will trade the farm for Luck, and we can fill loads of holes. Never been a proponent of the trade down, but you gotta think that we would get an offer we couldn't refuse in this scenario.

At this point, w/ 2 wins...the #1 pick would be the best thing to happen to the team. A trade down would be imminent.

The Colts can beat the Jags.

The Vikings an beat the Redskins or even Chicago b/c ever since Forte went down that haven't been good.

Unless SF "rests" their starters against Rams in week 17, that looks like another damn L.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No matter where the Rams draft (one, two or three) there will be people calling... I think the Rams draft #3 now, Colts take Luck, Vikings take Kalil, and then a lot of calls are made to the Rams about RG3.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ugh. I hate the thought of having the no. 1 pick again. THIS HAPPENED 2 FREAKING YEARS AGO :amped: . Theres gonna be some people saying we should strongly consider drafting Luck, and then trade Bradford. I think most NFL analysts believe the smart move is to stick with Bradford, but you know thats still gonna be talked about. All these young QBs coming in and playing well right away is putting teams in a really tough position. Should the Vikings consider Luck if they have a shot at him? Should the Jags consider RG III? Both of these teams just draft a QB in the 1st round LAST YEAR! The expectations for young QBs is gonna continue to rise, and the rookie cap changes things.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I still take Bradford over Luck, I don't care what people say. It's probably the homer in me, but I think if Sam went in the 09 draft he's the #1 guy over Stafford. He was the #1 guy in 10, and I bet if he went in 11 Luck would have been the Barkely of the draft.

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, the Rams can beat Pittsburgh or SF. Likely? no, but a possibility. Tis the part of the season for upsets.

steferfootball

Starter
I want the rams to win out, even with the possibility to get "4 first rounders".

If we loose out, we'd need two bad teams to win anyways.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey, Vikings are winning

bluecoconuts

Legend
Vikings won. Meaning that the Rams have to win next week to not be drafting in the Top 2. If the Colts win next week and the Rams don't, they're picking #1... If both the Rams and the Colts lose the Rams draft #2.. If the Rams and the Colts both win, (and the Vikings lose) the Rams draft #3...

Interesting now, if the Rams are drafting #1, I think they will trade the pick.

If the Rams are drafting #2, I think they will select Matt Kalil..

If the Rams are drafting #3, I think they trade down for whoever makes the best offer so they can get RG3..

Of course those are just my opinions, we'll see what happens.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:
Vikings won. Meaning that the Rams have to win next week to not be drafting in the Top 2. If the Colts win next week and the Rams don't, they're picking #1... If both the Rams and the Colts lose the Rams draft #2.. If the Rams and the Colts both win, (and the Vikings lose) the Rams draft #3...

If the Rams are drafting #3, I think they trade down for whoever makes the best offer so they can get RG3..

I think right now a trade down is imminent no matter where the Rams pick. W/ Barkley going back, RG3 and Landry Jones become more valuable.

But things can change w/ pro days and combine and all the other games like the Senior Bowl, Shrine Game, etc.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

I think right now a trade down is imminent no matter where the Rams pick. W/ Barkley going back, RG3 and Landry Jones become more valuable.

But things can change w/ pro days and combine and all the other games like the Senior Bowl, Shrine Game, etc.

I think Kalil is worth the #2 overall pick at this time. Of course things can change, but depending on what the return is, it might be better to stay at 2 and grab Kalil. There's a good amount of talent in this draft class, even if the Rams don't trade back they can really improve their team. Kalil has the potential to be a player that can improve 3 positions (LT, RT, LG if Smith stays and moves there) which to me would be more worth it than trading down... Of course that is thinking best scenario.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I am scared.

If Devaney is fired, the new GM may not like Bradford and take Luck if the Rams have the first overall pick.

That wouldn't fill any holes that need to be filled.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

I think Kalil is worth the #2 overall pick at this time. Of course things can change, but depending on what the return is, it might be better to stay at 2 and grab Kalil. There's a good amount of talent in this draft class, even if the Rams don't trade back they can really improve their team. Kalil has the potential to be a player that can improve 3 positions (LT, RT, LG if Smith stays and moves there) which to me would be more worth it than trading down... Of course that is thinking best scenario.
I think Guards are easier to find than tackles, but the best case scenario for me would be to trade down just enough to get the best playmaker, then pick the best Tackle right or left, or Guard with the pick we acquired, then focus on best DT, Linebacker, RB, secondary.

Cut C. Dahl, A. Goldberg, B. Bajema, D. Jones, J. Brown, J. King, and J. Butler. Medical Jason Brown. Free agency focus on OL (C and G), LB, and DT. If we could get one of each that are starters, I'd be thrilled. Sign a solid journeyman TE. Then...Re-sign Stewart. re-sign Gordy. Sign a kicker and punter. Then draft:
#1 (4-6) Best WR
#2 (high) Best OL
#2 (sill high) Best out of DT, LB, RB, or CB/S.
#3 - 7 Rinse and repeat.

Then we would be on our way I think.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Lesson said:
I am scared.

If Devaney is fired, the new GM may not like Bradford and take Luck if the Rams have the first overall pick.

I don't think there is a chance in hell that at new GM wouldn't like Bradford once he evaluates him.

Lesson

Oh, really?
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
I am scared.

I don't think there is a chance in hell that at new GM wouldn't like Bradford once he evaluates him.

If you are a new GM, have the 1st overall pick. Luck is there.

New rookie cap. Who would you rather have? Bradford with his contract or Luck with his?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
I am scared.

New rookie cap. Who would you rather have? Bradford with his contract or Luck with his?

I think with the holes that the Rams, even with a new GM, even if he loves Luck, it would be irresponsible to take Luck and not trade down to fill as many holes as possible.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
Lesson said:
DR RAM said:
Lesson said:
I am scared.

I think with the holes that the Rams, even with a new GM, even if he loves Luck, it would be irresponsible to take Luck and not trade down to fill as many holes as possible.
Who would trade for Bradford with that salary? And yes, get as many as possible.