Collateral Damage: 18 veterans hurt by the NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're using the term "veteran", pretty loosely with some of those guys.
2nd year players are still pretty green.
Seriously.
Zach Mettenberger in the league for a minute and all of 6 starts is a veteran now?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think paying Mason $1.7 mil is a great deal.
and I can't believe some people are talking about letting Mason go in a couple years.

No, I agree with you about the cost and keeping him on the roster. What I am saying is that when he hits free agency he is probably gone. He will get probably be able to get more than the Rams want to pay him. Having a feature back is expensive. They will have to have Gurley on the books for a big cap hit. Wasn't LeSean McCoy getting 11 million a year? I don't see how the Rams can pay a lot for the backup/third down back when the time comes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I didn't say to trade him. I would rather keep him. What I was getting at is by the time he hits free agency he will want to move on because he doesn't want to be a backup.......and some team will probably pay him more than what the Rams can afford with a high priced back already on the roster.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I can't help myself. I always look ahead. But like I said I never said to trade him. I wouldn't trust Gurley's knee enough to get rid of Mason.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
No, I agree with you about the cost and keeping him on the roster. What I am saying is that when he hits free agency he is probably gone. He will get probably be able to get more than the Rams want to pay him. Having a feature back is expensive. They will have to have Gurley on the books for a big cap hit. Wasn't LeSean McCoy getting 11 million a year? I don't see how the Rams can pay a lot for the backup/third down back when the time comes.
So the Rams basically drafted a RB who will replace a perfecyly good RB. That is why I don't like the pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So the Rams basically drafted a RB who will replace a perfecyly good RB. That is why I don't like the pick.

Yeah I am torn between it. I will hold judgement until I see what the difference is. If the knee is good then I am sure Gurley is better but is he that much better? Probably.