Collateral Damage: 18 veterans hurt by the NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought this was interesting. I wonder if any of these guys will be moved this summer. I'd take Phil Taylor in a trade, if the Rams thought that for some reason things wont work out with Brockers contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...eral-damage-18-veterans-hurt-by-the-nfl-draft

The NFL draft is the beginning of the journey for hundreds of college prospects. It's a day of unbridled hope for many fans. And it's a huge downer for many veterans out there.
Imagine watching your boss hire your replacement on national television. That's how it probably felt for many of the veterans that suffered collateral damage during draft week. Here are some of the players that will be facing new competition or will be facing a search for a new job:
1. Zach Mettenberger, Titans quarterback: The Titans weren't necessarily bluffing about their appreciation for Mettenberger. Perhaps they agree with my assessment that he looked like a future mid-level starting quarterback, but there's no comparison between his ceiling and Marcus Mariota. This was a case of bad luck for Mettenberger. If the Titans were drafting fourth, Mettenberger would have wound up as a Week 1 starter.
Now Mettenberger will be riding the bench for the team's new face of the franchise. The Titans made it clear on draft day they expect Mariota to start in Week 1. Mettenberger will only start again if Mariota gets hurt or things go horribly wrong in Tennessee.
2. Andrew Whitworth, Bengals tackle: Whitworth dared the Bengals to draft his replacement. They took the challenge and then double dog dared him back by taking two tackles in the first two rounds. Whitworth wants a new contract and instead faces new competition.
"It's not really top of the line customer service," said Whitworth, per the team site. "Eventually, hopefully, one day that (contract) conversation will be had and I'll be here."
3. Marquess Wilson, Bears receiver: When Brandon Marshall was traded, Wilson became a buzzy name in fantasy football circles. That buzz should end after Chicago drafted Kevin White. With Eddie Royal in the slot, snaps will be hard to come by.
4. Tre Mason, Rams running back: Mason's explosiveness absolutely jumped off the screen last season. He was perhaps our favorite rookie running back to watch last season, and now he's been replaced by a true three-down running back in No. 10 overall pick Todd Gurley. The Rams have a good problem now because Mason absolutely deserves to get consistent snaps. But the team won't be relying on him as a starter anymore.
5. Phil Taylor, Browns defensive tackle: Taylor was once a highly-thought of first-round pick at nose tackle. Now he's potentially getting replaced by one after Danny Shelton was taken No. 12 overall. Due $5.4 million this season, Taylor has to be worried about making the Cleveland roster.
6 + 7. Greg Jennings and Kenny Stills, Dolphins receivers: Jennings surely saw an opportunity to start in Miami when he signed late in free agency. The drafting of No. 14 overall pick DeVante Parker will make that assignment tougher. Second-year pro Jarvis Landry is locked into major snaps, meaning Jennings or Stills could wind up on the bench. In Jennings' case, he could be battling just to make the team.
8. Branden Oliver, Chargers running back: All offseason, we expected the Chargers to draft a running back high. That's exactly what they did, eliminating any chance of Oliver starting in 2015. With first-round pick Melvin Gordon starting and Danny Woodhead taking third downs, Oliver will battle just for snaps.
9. Muhammad Wilkerson, Jets defensive end: It's not like Wilkerson is going to be benched anytime soon. No. 6 overall pick Leonard Williams has a different style of play, and Wilkerson is one of the best at his position in the league. Williams' arrival, however, could hurt Wilkerson at the negotiating table. He should get big money eventually, but might not be able to get top dollar from the Jets now. New York could also use the franchise tag on Wilkerson in 2016, knowing they have plenty of depth.
10. Jarvis Jones, Steelers outside linebacker: The 2013 first-round pick is overdue to make an impact on the field in Pittsburgh. That won't be easier after the team drafted another pass-rusher, Bud Dupree, in the first round.
11. Hakeem Nicks, Titans wide receiver: Like Jennings in Miami, Nicks likely saw a path to playing time when he signed with Tennessee. Now second-round pick Dorial Green-Beckham could make it difficult for Nicks just to make the team. Harry Douglas is a much safer bet to take up the "trusty veteran" role now that Nate Washington is out of the picture.
12. Morris Claiborne, Cowboys cornerback: It seems like a long time ago he was a top-five pick. Claiborne has to prove he can stay healthy just to get on the field. Dallas first-round pick Byron Jones is a better bet for snaps.
13. Denard Robinson, Jaguars running back: Check out NFL Media columnist Michael Silver's article on the Jacksonville draft process. Head coach Gus Bradley was clearly desperate to upgrade their starting running back spot, and they found a three-down option in T.J. Yeldon. Robinson is best suited in a change-of-pace role.
14 + 15. Crockett Gillmore and Dennis Pitta, Ravens tight ends: Gillmore was a promising rookie a season ago, and could still wind up starting for Baltimore. But the team brought in some serious competition with second-round pick Maxx Williams and fifth-rounder Nick Boyle. This is a pretty clear sign that Pitta is not a lock for the roster.
16. Theo Riddick, Lions running back: He spent about half a season showing off some Reggie Bush-like traits as Detroit's third-down back. Riddick should get moved to No. 3 on the depth chart after Detroit drafted Ameer Abdullah. The Lions essentially drafted a similar but superior version to Riddick.
17. Terrance West, Browns running back: Last year's third-down back is not going to get much of a chance to develop into an every-down player. Duke Johnson could wind up ahead of both West and last year's surprise power back Isaiah Crowell.
18. James Jones, former Raiders receiver: This is the most obvious name on the list. The weekend wasn't over before Jones was informed of his release, according to CSNBayArea.com. With Amari Cooper in Oakland, the competition for snaps at wide receiver will be fierce. Michael Crabtree, Andre Holmes, Rod Streater and Kenbrell Thompkins will all be battling for snaps behind the No. 4 overall pick.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I would add Barksdale to the list, now he isn't needed here. I guess he and his agent shouldn't have been so greedy.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Andre Whitworth is a heck of a player and I don't think he was hurt by the draft. He'll start, he just won't get the huge pay day he wants from the Bengals in 2016. Someone should be willing to pay him next year as a stop gap. He's still great tackle at 33.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thing is it seems that the cap has caused most teams to decide to cut cost at certain positions. I think ORT is one of them, for most teams anyway.

That is part of why many teams go with the runningback by committee approach. Why pay a premiere runningback 11 million a year when you can get adequate production from the position from 3rd/4th/5th rounders and not have to overpay.

By taking Gurley the Rams will one day have to commit big money to him and or Mason. I am guessing one of them will be lured away when they hit free agency (most likely Mason and Bennie) because hitching the cart to one star back makes it so. Teams cannot afford two 10 million dollar backs. Now if the Rams avoid the star QB and keep a mid range cap hit on the QB then it balances out. But, that can be tough to do with even an average QB when other teams are desperate for one.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end. Dallas opted not to pay their feature back and it looks right now that it may have been a mistake. I thought they surely were going to be in play for Gurley, Gordon, or AP. Maybe their Oline is so good that they can get a 1000+yards no matter who is in the backfield, similar to the Mid 80s Oline of the Rams.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Having Tre Mason as your occasional back is as good as it gets in this league.
Good point, we are are in an enviable position at RB right now, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't be like this forever.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

He could make more than that. He was the top back in the 2014 draft. A team that wants to run the ball could offer him starter money. I don't think he is really a backup. Too talented.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I think paying Mason $1.7 mil is a great deal.
and I can't believe some people are talking about letting Mason go in a couple years.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
flv not thinking Mason has a chance to show his stuff:
That's 1 year further down the road. He's under contract for 3 more years. Right now I don't see a reason why he would be offered more money in 2 years time.
What happens if Gurley is held out for 6-8 games and Mason shines behind an O-line that might actually be able to run block? Cut his touches to 5-10 per game? Trade him to the Cowgirls because they never actually got a real replacement for Murray?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
They're using the term "veteran", pretty loosely with some of those guys.
2nd year players are still pretty green.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was shouted down at the PD for this very argument....I wanted Gurley 6 months ago, but was told how ignorant I was about the new paridm:running back by committee approach..I disagree. One back, especially a premiere franchise back, gets in a rythm during a game and does great things (when coupled with a decent Oline)...Running Back by committee adequacy, doesn't compare to Eric Dickerson...Walter Payton...Marcus Allen...Marshall Faulk...I want excellence, not just good.

Gurley has a chance to be Great, and I'm so glad Fisher thinks the same way.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I expect(I hope) Mason gets plenty of carries until TG is ready to roll 110%

After that i expect him to still be plenty involved.

Alan

Legend
flv thinking pigs can fly:
I think he'll get plenty of 2015 opportunities early on. To qualify for the PPE he'll need to be on the field for 35%+ of snaps in either of the next 2 seasons or about 700 snaps in total. It looks like a tall order but I think he'll get there. Getting 2000 yards next year won't immediately help his contract situation. What matters is what his team thinks he'll be worth in year 4, and the CBA prohibits such an assessment being made until after the 3rd year. Year 3 is normally all important. He's got to be good, stay healthy, and be in a good situation, (see Whitworth with the Bengals). If he's traded to the Cowboys I won't care what he's paid.
Are you saying Gurley is going to miss 6-8 games in 2016? Spill the beans @Alan! What do you know?
As usual, I know squat. :LOL: Just sending out some telepathic suggestions to the Rams management. :seizure:
upload_2015-5-6_5-15-50.jpeg

I do hope he'll be coddled along until he's really really really ready. I didn't like this pick because (among other reasons) I know that after one ACL injury he's more susceptible to a second one. SB went down again after he sneezed too hard so when I imagine the torque and strain the knee of a RB is subject too I get very nervous.

You're right of course that we're in great shape for the next 3 years salary wise but I was referring to your skepticism that he might be offered more money after after the next two years. If he performs really well again when he is actually performing the featured role then we might want to try and keep him. Of course if that happens he probably would laugh at our offer and go the FA route so he can actually be the featured back somewhere.

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-6_5-15-6.jpeg
    upload_2015-5-6_5-15-6.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 158