Chris Shula Press Conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Classy vid. Best of luck this year Chris. Hope you kick some serious ass. :clinkingbeer:

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
Think he's gonna be a great surprise and though you can't tell through his press conference, has some fire to him that will translate to the defense on the field. Good on McVay for this hire. Now let's kick some ass on defense!

oldnotdead

Legend
I think in 2026 when he starts getting HC attention we will bemoan his loss. I feel he's going to be a good DC. I love how he's worked under different DCs and knows what he likes and what he didn't like. I see him as being well-rounded with a high ceiling. Will he make his share of rookie DC mistakes? Probably but he strikes me as the kind of coach that understands the process of learning. I don't see him as being doggedly devoted to one thing or another. Too many DCs know only one approach. From the noise coming from Miami that is why they were looking for a new DC.

Good DCs know how to be flexible in their approach. John Pagano was one of the most underrated DCs I've ever watched. He would come out in the 3rd quarter and shut down the opposing offense with adjustments he would make. He understood how to play complimentary football in conjunction with the offense.

If Shula can be that kind of DC, who can keep this team in games stealing possessions here and there I will be more than happy. When the offense has put the opposition on the ropes, I would love a DC that knows how to slam the door shut and lock the game down. This offense as McVay has begun to transition it to being, can be damn good and deserves a defense equally as good.

IMO by the end of next season, teams won't want to play the Rams offensively or defensively. Time for another Super Bowl win and by the time the next Super Bowl is again played in SoFi (LXI) it will be time for the Rams to be the first team to win the Lombardi twice on their home field. With luck it will be their third Lombardi in the McVay era.

oldnotdead

Legend

He says things I've been saying about how a DC needs to play to his roster's strengths. That is something Morris didn't do. DK is a prime example of it. DK because of his limited athleticism is a situationally limited player. Bobby Brown plays best as a 1T as opposed to a 0T.

This article is why I think Shula can be a very good DC.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I enjoyed his breakdown of the previous DC's. Showcases he learned and took notes and will take a page out of each coordinator he served under and they were 3 good ones.
1707320865672.png
1707320904795.png

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not worried about a first time DC. Don't underestimate McVay's hand in the defense. I'm pretty sure he had something to do with Staley's success the one year he was here. Not to mention Jim's and Joe's vs X's and O's thing. I don't care who you are. If you don't have the players you ain't coaching a top tier defense. Give Shula some decent players and he'll be fine.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He stated you have to be a problem solver and resource for the players: I have a feeling halftime adjustments will be epic this coming season.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Not that impressed. But hey, it's not like he can be worse than 3rd and 15 Morris.

Morris was good on 3rd and 15+ 10th best in NFL while with the Rams. But this is what happen to people who ignore facts. They say same ignorant things over and over.

And no, "ignorant" is not name-calling. It just means lack of knowledge or awareness on a a subject. All people can be inorant on something. And those who keep repeating insults of Morris on things that had good results qualifies.

Calling someone an "ignoramus" would be name-calling. And I am not doing that.

The facts---2021-2023 10th best in stopping teams from converting on 3rd and 15+
2024-01-25_17-08-39.jpg
Truth Facts GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Get him the players and see what he can do. Edge, CB, ILB, S and another DT

dang

Legend
Not that impressed. But hey, it's not like he can be worse than 3rd and 15 Morris.
If you don’t recognize what Morris did this year with so many young (Turner, Young, Brown, Durant, Kendrick) and limited (Hoecht, Johnson, JWilliams, Rozeboom/Reeder, Fuller) players - you weren’t paying attention.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I'm sure he laid out a comprehensive plan for the Ram's defense when he interviewed for the job. So I trust McSnead to evaluate and select the best.

I wish Raheem all the best. My main criticism of him was that his defense was tailor made to allow the whiners to beat the Rams. To his credit, he made adjustments which helped the Rams to beat the whiners in the NFCCG and win Super Bowl 56.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If you don’t recognize what Morris did this year with so many young (Turner, Young, Brown, Durant, Kendrick) and limited (Hoecht, Johnson, JWilliams, Rozeboom/Reeder, Fuller) players - you weren’t paying attention.

Raheem Morris might actually win The NFC South easily?

The Raheem Morris HATERS will see how good if a coach he is.He gets it & as a HC he should even be better!!!
Chris Shula gets his chance &
that is the unknow,but he has a nice staff to work with young players.

The draft picks The Rams get will be for Robinson (Zac) & Lake who went with him.Both those coaches meant a lot to both sides of the ball.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think this is the start of something special. I'm already pumped for next season!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Not sure what you don't like? Other than having no experience at the job, he's been under McVay for 7 years. His time with us in that period, he learned from a pretty decent pedigree. Morris was aggravating at times because of his scheme, but, overall, did a great job with a young D and team. I've got a sneaky good feeling that Shula could of been very good for this D all along. He just wasn't getting to use his philosophy. And I bet it's going to surprise some NFL Offenses. But you be you man. I'll express my opinions with too much conviction sometimes, I'm not going to tell anybody how to think. I think we are in for quite the ride for the next few years.