Chargers to LA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/17/...hargers-oakland-raiders-las-vegas-relocations

The Five Myths of NFL Relocations
The Chargers are planning to join the Rams in L.A. and the Raiders are eyeing Vegas. Here’s why the NFL landscape is changing so much—and how fans factor into the negotiations
by Andrew Brandt

san-diego-chargers-fans.jpg

On to the Chargers…
The transformation of the San Diego Chargers into the Los Angeles Chargers (a year to the day after the St. Louis Rams became the Los Angeles Rams) is yet another sign of the fact that the business of the NFL is the NFL; the games are just the storefront.

Now, with the potential relocation of the Raiders to Las Vegas gaining momentum, there may be three NFL home fan bases left in the lurch over a 14-month period. Beyond the visceral reactions of anger toward the owners’ greed and disregard for the fans, I thought it important to clear up five myths about franchise relocation and the business of football.

Myth #1: Fans truly matter
Stadium negotiations in the NFL occur between the league/owners and city/county/state politicians. Not included as party to those negotiations are the fans. Sure, all sides profess to be concerned with fans and appreciate their support (thanking the fans is Public Relations 101) but these negotiations are all about “the deal”—which side pays for what and when—more than anything else.

Remember how much coaches complain about the offseason restrictions of the CBA? Well, those negotiations were between the owners and players; coaches weren’t consulted. Similarly, fans are not party to stadium negotiations; their best interests are far down on the list of deal priorities.

Myth #2: Ticket sales truly matter
The Chargers decision on venue over the next two years—a soccer stadium with fewer than 30,000 seats—tells us what we need to know about the importance of ticket sales in the revenue chain. This is not your father’s NFL: ticket revenue is nice but not what it used to be in the landscape of team revenues.

The Chargers and Rams’ move to L.A. gives them access to numerous more “premium product buyers,” as the NFL calls them, than either team had in St. Louis and San Diego; they’ll also eventually add hundreds of millions to their bottom line from ancillary revenue opportunities. Suites will sell out; franchise values will soar. As for empty seats, that certainly won’t look good, but in the owners’ and league’s eyes, that is a risk worth taking.

Myth #3: “Solution” = Self-funding
In their comments upon leaving San Diego behind, both the Chargers and Roger Goodell stated that, despite many years of trying, they were unable to find a local “solution.” That appears a euphemism for, “They didn’t show us the money.”

To be fair, the Chargers did invest significant time and money into seeking “solutions” but, of course, there was no “solution” that would have unlocked hundreds of millions of public money towards stadium subsidies. Could either the NFL, Rams’ owner Stan Kroenke, and/or the Spanos family have put up more of their own money to keep the Chargers in San Diego? In theory, the answer is yes, but that is not the way the business of the NFL has worked.

Speaking of which…

Myth #4: A next frontier?
Over the past two decades, NFL owners had used the lack of team in Los Angeles as leverage in negotiations with local politicians towards a “solution.” With L.A. no longer a potential negotiating tool, what other cities could fill that role? The Raiders’ flirted with San Antonio before focusing on Las Vegas, although it is hard to see that as a viable alternative. Toronto had mixed results hosting Bills games.

London continues to sell out, but I have always predicted, at most, an eventual home schedule there: eight games a year over three stadiums, every team playing there every other year. Interestingly, one city that I have not heard a word about potential relocation in the past year is St. Louis, a negative omen for San Diego. There appears no obvious stalking-horse city for owners to leverage a potential move.

Myth #5: Revenue isn’t the most important thing
Having sat in NFL meetings for a decade, I heard a continuing theme to not become complacent in maintaining their perch as the most popular and profitable sports league in the country, and to constantly be in search of additional revenue streams. Indeed, last year’s decision to award L.A. stadium rights to Kroenke was a testament to thinking bigger than a “stadium.”

Revenue generation and brand enhancement were best served by having another “JerryWorld” in L.A., a place to host Super Bowls, drafts, combines, Final Fours, World Cup matches, etc. And elevated franchise values of the Rams and Chargers will raise the overall value of the NFL brand.

Goodell spoke a couple years ago of an annual revenue goal of $25 billion by 2027; that drives the league and its “member” owners. Now with an annual revenue number of approximately $13 billion and growing at roughly $1 billion a year, the NFL is well on its way.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Concerning Myth#1, They don't include fans in negotiations, but they are the 1st place they go to get funding.

Concerning Myth#2, Owners have been investing in Draft King and FanDuel Fantasy football. NFL owners are the majors holders of the top 2 fantasy sports leagues. They are making 10 times more money on people losing in fantasy football than they are on ticket sales.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Chargers losing the yellow in their new logo , kinda like what the Rams did

Chargers.jpg

C2ZPyWMUQAEQVl3.jpg:large

Chargers1.jpg

blueandwhite2.jpg

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, after the Cowboys lose again in their 1st round matchup again, it will be an off season of whining about Garrett, JJ and how poor DEz cant catch a break.
The majority of Cowboys fans will be some other "hot" team fan by then....
OK... I had to give credit for this outstanding prediction... well done, Dieter!

The only part you got wrong was that Dez had a heck of a game so he's off the hook.

Garrett (Red Jesus as they used to call him) is front and center!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ies-vowing-not-to-actually-move-the-chargers/

San Diego moving companies vowing not to actually move the Chargers
Posted by Zac Jackson on January 17, 2017

630783316-e1483568421312.jpg
Getty Images

With the help of loyal Chargers fans and a website campaign, San Diego moving companies have banded together in an effort to refuse to help the Chargers physically move from San Diego to their new home in Los Angeles.

The move will go on, but the founder of the effort told USA Today that even some involved who aren’t Chargers fans view the protest as a way to stand up for their community.

“This campaign has sort of kept my hopes afloat,” Ryan Charles of HireAHelper.com said. “I’m so caught up in this right now and trying to do this for San Diegans and Chargers fans as sort of one last stand.

“I feel like I’ll only know [it’s real] when I see them take the field as the Los Angeles Chargers.”

Charles said that more than 25 San Diego-based companies and 10 from the L.A. area have united via the wewontmoveyouchargers.com website to pledge not to participate in what Charles admitted would be a very lucrative series of jobs.

“We’re continuing to add more companies every hour,” Charles said. “We’re still actively calling companies, and companies are signing themselves up through the link on that site. So yeah, I think it’s definitely had an impact.”

Share this:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Which is funny, because the Chargers were totally yellow in what they did... :cautious::sneaky:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
The Los Chargers

I like that one................lol

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Is there any chance this doesn't happen? Also doesn't there have to be a meeting with NFL owners like there was with the Rams? I thought you couldn't just get up and move? ALSO, what if nobody shows up to games? Is there any fans in LA of the Chargers?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Is there any chance this doesn't happen? Also doesn't there have to be a meeting with NFL owners like there was with the Rams? I thought you couldn't just get up and move? ALSO, what if nobody shows up to games? Is there any fans in LA of the Chargers?

As I recall, the Chargers were first in line for permission to relocate. The Rams were allowed to move first with the understanding that the Chargers would be allowed to share the Rams stadium if they so chose. If they rejected that deal then the Raiders could make the move to LA instead.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
As I recall, the Chargers were first in line for permission to relocate. The Rams were allowed to move first with the understanding that the Chargers would be allowed to share the Rams stadium if they so chose. If they rejected that deal then the Raiders could make the move to LA instead.
Meh. I don't like it at all. Just a dumb deal all around. I really do not believe it works out. By 2030, they'll be looking to move back to San Diego. JMHO.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Wouldn't surprise me if this stunt forces Dean Spanos to sell the team in a Donald Sterling-esque fashion sans the racism.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Well I feel better now. :rolleyes:
--------------------------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dent-things-are-going-to-be-just-fine-in-l-a/

Roger Goodell confident things are going to be just fine in L.A.
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 19, 2017, 7:05 AM EST

Goodell-as-McMahon.gif

Never mind that Los Angeles doesn’t seem to want the Chargers, or that the Chargers reluctantly went there. And never mind that they’ll play in a 30,000-seat stadium for a couple of years, before becoming the sorry brother-in-law sleeping on Rams owner Stan Kroenke’s fancy new couch in Inglewood. And never mind that neither team is very good, and fewer and fewer people want to watch them.

This is going to be a huge success for everyone, declared NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

It’s a great market,” Goodell said at a rally yesterday, via Eric Williams of ESPN.com. “It’s the second largest market in the country and the entertainment capital of the world. We have millions of fans here, and we’ve had two teams in the market before, and we’re building an extraordinary stadium.”

Of course, all those extra eyeballs and dollars didn’t translate into numbers last year, as ratings declined when the locals were fed a steady diet of Rams games (and who says they have no taste there?). But Goodell said the long-view of the situation is positive, and that having both teams put down roots there will help it become something greater.

“Everyone wants their home team to win; that’s shown throughout the country,” Goodell said. “These teams will transition into this market. You see the great athletes and great players that they have. They’re going to be great off the field as well in this community, and that’s going to take some time.

“We’ll have a new stadium coming on in 2019, so we truly believe and are confident in this market. And we understand the challenges that we have to meet here. We have to set a high bar here in Los Angeles, and we’re committed to doing that.”

One of the challenges they have to overcome is apathy, as the Rams haven’t had a winning season anywhere since 2003 or in Los Angeles since 1989. And the Chargers have thus far been nothing more than a punchline, with their logo being mocked and movers refusing to move them, setting the stage for a Lakers-Clippers relationship.

Of course, the Lakers actually won occasionally, so it might be a Clippers-Clippers situation.

fearsomefour

Legend
Concerning Myth#1, They don't include fans in negotiations, but they are the 1st place they go to get funding.

Concerning Myth#2, Owners have been investing in Draft King and FanDuel Fantasy football. NFL owners are the majors holders of the top 2 fantasy sports leagues. They are making 10 times more money on people losing in fantasy football than they are on ticket sales.
I wouldn't say funding through hotel room taxes are funding through the fans.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" Note: To All NFL Team Owners.
If the NFL is a Business, and you want to Build your Business, That's Fine!
BUT you will no longer be doing it at Tax Payers expense!! Get off of those Billions you've got stashed and pay for it yourself, or take out a Loan!!
You want us to pay to build your Business and then charge us an Arm and a Leg to come see your games Live!?! F--K U!!"
Signed - U.S. Tax Payers.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm like you Dave. F'em. Pay hundreds for a ticket, 30 or 40$$ to park, 10$ for a hotdog or nachos, 15$ for a beer, miss a whole qtr to stand in a puddle of puke:puke: and pizz just to go take a leak, get beer spilled down my back by the drunks who sits behind me:cry:. No Thanks.

I'll stay at home at watch the game on my big screen HD, eat my Rib-eye from the BBQ grill, drink German beer form Alpine Village at 3$ a beer and not miss a down 'cause the toilet is just 10 feet away.

I did go to the Rams-Cowboys pre season game, only because it was the first game the Rams played in LA after being gone. It re-affirmed my take on attending games. I won't be going any time soon. Owners have pretty much priced me out along with what you have to put up with.

I'll go to the new stadium for a game in Inglewood when its done, but only if someone buys me a ticket. :mrburnsevil:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK - So the Raiduhs officially filed for relocation with their official letter. I can't find anything stating that Spanos has filed his official letter. Did I miss it? I saw his letter stating that they had made that decision but that was apparently not the official letter. Wasn't the time extended to the 17th? I don't get why I wouldn't be able to find the official letter. Can someone post it? All the articles I see say he is due to announce but that he has yet to send in his formal letter.