Chargers to LA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Sounds like they might be changing their name as well

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/report-chargers-may-rebrand-in-l-a/

Report: Chargers may rebrand in L.A.
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2017

630777970-e1484224157603.jpg
Getty Images

Fifty-seven years ago, the Chargers launched in Los Angeles. They’re reportedly returning. (Unless they aren’t.)

They’re also reportedly considering rebranding the team. Which would mean shedding one of the iconic names and uniforms and adopting something new.

Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News reports that the Chargers are considering the adoption of a new name in L.A. It wouldn’t happen in 2017, but it will be a consideration for future years.

The Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Oilers before becoming the Tennessee Titans, in a move that plenty of old-school fans still lament. The extinction of the Chargers would be met with even greater dismay.

Offsetting the angst could be a new nickname and color scheme and logo and uniforms that inspire and fascinate. I currently have no ideas. But I’ve got no qualms about treating any of the ideas that you may drop in the comments as my own.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/chargers-will-play-at-stubhub-center-in-2017-18/

Chargers plan to play at StubHub Center in 2017-18
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2017

gettyimages-460120692-e1484197105163.jpg
Getty Images

The Chargers will indeed return to the city in which they were founded, 57 years ago. And they’ll be spending two years in a 30,000-seat stadium, playing at the StubHub Center until the stadium they’ll share with the Rams opens in 2019.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Chargers waited until after Wednesday’s meeting of the league’s stadium and finance committees to make the final decision to move. The team didn’t expect anything to happen at the meeting to change the mind of owner Dean Spanos, but Spanos wanted to wait.

After the meeting ended, Spanos informed Commissioner Roger Goodell and several owners that the move will happen. The decision will be shared with the staff and with elected officials in San Diego and Los Angeles most likely on Thursday. The team will deny the decision is final until those things happen.

The StubHub Center gives the Chargers a chance to market a very unique experience, giving fans an intimate environment for watching a pro football game. The limited time for the limited-space event should give Chargers games a sense of intrigue and exclusivity before they go toe-to-toe with the Rams for customers at the stadium to be built in Inglewood.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
Keep in mind that at this point,

THIS IS ALL PROCEDURAL.

The Chargers have the right of first refusal as per Kroenke's deal to be able to move in the first place.

Spanos is merely locking out the Raiders and keeping the LA option on the table.

They have to do this because the Raiders have zero options currently to stay in Oakland and the league just concluded a meeting about Oakland.

It's still possible they move, but if they do, I expect it to be ugly...
I think the Chargers go, because if they do not, the Raiders will. I do not believe Spanos has any other choice. The only way the Raiders are going to Vegas is if the Chargers actually move to LA, in my opinion. There will be no football team in Oakland or San Diego within the next three years. The NFL could not have come up with a worse slogan than "football is family" with all of these teams moving.

A55VA6

Legend
Here's their new logo..... It's the ugliest, laziest, most boring sports logo I've ever seen in my life:

C1-9VIrUkAIKQy6.jpg

and here's some variations of their new logo:
C1-98wMXcAA9YLf.jpg

C1-98D_VIAAbYUi.jpg

C1--qWbUQAA74-r.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
0a217eab-f0e6-4073-8d25-ac9edd960e10.jpg

Eric D. Williams/ESPN Staff Writer

A San Diego Chargers fan just drove by and dumped his team gear on the street.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Spanos had to make this announcement now because of League rules in regards to Teams moving.
I sure hope this NEVER happens! I hate Spanos, and I think this will turn out to be just another ploy on his part!
Spanos is just too cheap to try and come up with the money on his own to build a Stadium! He wants California/San Diego Tax payers to foot-the-bill! That aint going to happen!
When Spanos starts building a practice facility I'll believe he really intends to move!!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Atleast the Chargers committed to playing second fiddle in LA by choosing that boring logo!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
FUCK THE CHARGERS! Stan does all the work and they just get to move in to the nicest stadium in the league. BULL SHIT!:puke:Never believed it would happen.:palm:

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
Spanos had to make this announcement now because of League rules in regards to Teams moving.
I sure hope this NEVER happens! I hate Spanos, and I think this will turn out to be just another ploy on his part!
Spanos is just too cheap to try and come up with the money on his own to build a Stadium! He wants California/San Diego Tax payers to foot-the-bill! That aint going to happen!
When Spanos starts building a practice facility I'll believe he really intends to move!!
I am pretty sure it is a done deal. They have already changed their Facebook page to "Los Angeles Chargers".

Psycho_X

Legend
Atleast the Chargers committed to playing second fiddle in LA by choosing that boring logo!

I'm assuming they are making the logo to remind people of the LA Dodgers since it has similar setup and color. Question would be are they changing colors too? Boy wouldn't that be hilarious if they changed to a blue and white uniform matching that logos colors lmao.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Lots of empty seats in the last few games.

Less filled seats for sure, but I think there are a couple factors. Getting the butt kickings the Rams were by then surely didn't help. Add to that the holidays, XMAS eve, NY day, it was even tougher. I tried to give away a pair of my tix on NY Day, everyone either had plans, or were hungover...LOL. When I sent out tailgating info to the group on XMAS eve peeps were like.. "Dude..it's XMAS..no game.." All that being said, at the end of the day, I think we all know winning will take care of any issue.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Have great respect for you Kevin but this statement seems more like a "something you need to say for the time being" moment, rather than the raw truth that this will not help attendance for a struggling Rams team.
********************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-another-team-in-l-a-enhances-the-excitement/

Rams executive: Another team in L.A. “enhances” the excitement
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 12, 2017

demoff.jpg
Getty Images

The news that the Chargers are coming to Los Angeles wasn’t a surprise to the Rams, but now that it’s a reality, it increases the pressure on them to win.

But for a franchise that hasn’t had a winning season since 2003 in any location, and not in L.A. since 1989, it’s hard to tell whether or when it changes things.

“If we do our job correctly, a second team should only heighten the NFL excitement in the marketplace and build on it,” Rams executive Kevin Demoff just before the end of the regular season, via Alden Gonzalez of ESPN.com. “I don’t think it takes away. I think it just enhances it. But it’s still dependent on — you have to be playing winning football, you have to be exciting, you have to make your brand entertaining and relevant.

“I think that’s true whether you’re the only team in the market or whether there are two or three teams in the market.”

Between other sports and UCLA and Southern Cal, there are plenty of sports and entertainment options in Los Angeles, and Demoff said they have to be aware of that.

“There’s a lot of competition in this marketplace, whether there’s another NFL team or not,” Demoff said. “And I actually think what you see in the market, what you’ve seen, is people here are really good NFL fans. Another team provides some competition, but you’ve always presumed this was going to be a two-team market.”

And at the moment, it’s a market with two bad football teams, neither of which has a coach or much traction in a new market.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Chargers are also going to put Horns on their helmets, with a little lightning bolt at the end.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Feel for the San Diego fans, had a soft spot for the Chargers and could relate to them having a shitty owner during the Frontierre days. What initially looked like a steady decline for the NFL feels like this is going to be steep. I hope every owner loses profitability for the recent decisions they made the past few years. Mark Cuban's right, this is an unsustainable model; I hope the NFL loses it's nonprofit status in the near future.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Feel for the San Diego fans, had a soft spot for the Chargers and could relate to them having a crappy owner during the Frontierre days. What initially looked like a steady decline for the NFL feels like this is going to be steep. I hope every owner loses profitability for the recent decisions they made the past few years. Mark Cuban's right, this is an unsustainable model; I hope the NFL loses it's nonprofit status in the near future.
I don't feel bad for San Diego. They are a 2 hour drive away, 8 games a year. They didn't move 2000 mile away.
They moved around 90-100 miles.

Spanos has been patient with the City Of SD. I'd rather they stayed, but that opinion is moot at this point.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
freaking retarded. Fix your own damn stadium before you start moving cities. And maybe put a half way decent product on the field and you might get more of a crowd to show up. freak off, NFL.
Hmmmm.....:whistle:

I do think the owners are going to lean hard on Spanos to stay put, but I just don't know how hard they can lean.
According to what I read and heard about the Rams move, if Jerry Jones gets behind it, it happens.

I believe it is a good thing for Rams fans. This move puts more revenue into the LA Stadium AND applies more pressure to the Rams to field a competitive team or risk losing business to Chargers.
This was my first thought... leverage used for one last try at SD to step up to the plate.

Kroenke wins either way. If he cannot field a competitive team with the Rams, at least he will make money off of the Chargers.
Of course he does. Obviously, he doesn't get the revenue he does when the Rams ply, but I suspect every Sunday the Bolts play, he'll be able to afford a nice steak dinner!

Say what you want about the man (I have my thoughts that I'll keep to myself so as not to upset the mods)... but he's an astute businessman.

He'll have a case of the financial bug... revenue coming out both ends!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
According to what I read and heard about the Rams move, if Jerry Jones gets behind it, it happens.

I wonder what happens if Jerry decides LA should be a one team town.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder what happens if Jerry decides LA should be a one team town.
I don't think that is the case... my guess is (as some have mentioned), this option had already been set as part of the Rams going to LA.

Spanos just seems to be deciding to exercise that option now.