Chad Reuter claims the Rams wanted Nix

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Anything is possible. But methinks there's a snowball's chance the Rams would select Nix over Verse. And if Verse were off the board, I think they would have gone with Chop Robinson or Troy Fautanu.

I could see McVay calming DC Shula in regards to a TE or OT who would see the field immediately, but not a QB that would sit when his defense needed immediate help.
This…100%. Same if any of top 3 WRs were close to 19 or if Latu were available at 19.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Long story short:

Rams had a bunch of plans, depending upon how the board played out. Nix may have been one of them, or they may have been using him as misdirection. 'Reporter' reports on the one thing without context. Surprise!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
McVay has altered his offense a few times since he’s been here. I imagine he had a plan for using Bowers.
Just like we were hoping Higbee would of been a bigger contributor this past season even after getting extended? Like I said, whatever altering McVay has done to this offense he must of left the TE cadre out of the loop.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Long story short:

Rams had a bunch of plans, depending upon how the board played out. Nix may have been one of them, or they may have been using him as misdirection. 'Reporter' reports on the one thing without context. Surprise!
Yeah, send signals you might draft him… hope another QB is drafted inside #19.

6 QB’s got drafted inside #19… that was the max we were hoping for, and it happened.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think if Verse and Bowers were both off the board, and Nix was there, McVay could have taken him and shocked everyone.
Without a doubt. Fans in general have too much of that old school thought process going, where you invest in your QB and he is locked in for years and the team is all behind him and the QB controversy is the worst possible thing imaginable.

But QB is so hard to find that a guy like McVay will properly prioritize it if one he likes is there. No doubt in my mind on that. Now I don't know if he liked Nix, because McVay prioritizes deep ball acumen. But I do think he wants a young QB to coach up. And I think Stafford knows that and it's why he wants more guaranteed money.

This year there were just too many holes on defense for McVay to go get a QB. But if it comes out that they tried to do that then like you I think it is not even remotely surprising. QB is the most important position on the field. Everything runs from that signal caller being capable of doing the job and being locked in with the playcaller. And our playcaller runs our organization.

sloramfan

Starter
me thinks the reporters may be the only ones that fall for this crap...

and they make it up when news is "needed"....

and no one with half a brain believes it...

pre draft visits carry a lot more "reality" ... and usually they are just smokescreens...

after draft talk is just that... talk

training camp again this year, can't start soon enough for me...

go rams

slo

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best chance to win it all this year was taking a DE, our biggest need, and a great one dropped to us. We can thank all the other teams that reached for QBs for that one.
exactly. losing a HOF in AD means there's a massvie hole in the DL. mcvay/snead filled it to the best of their ability in garnering Verse and Fiske. corum will help the oft injured RB;'s (although that is his weakness as well). they got a good kicker! and filled other spots of need. now all the fans need is for at least those 4 to pan out to make another playoff run possible.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just like we were hoping Higbee would of been a bigger contributor this past season even after getting extended? Like I said, whatever altering McVay has done to this offense he must of left the TE cadre out of the loop.
Higbee had to be either extended or released for salary cap purposes. And Higbee isn't a talent like Brock Bowers who is MUCH closer to the talented Jordan Reed that McVay had in Washington. Even better given his YAC and blocking ability, IMO.

In the end, there's a slim chance that McVay would use a 1st round selection on Bowers (much less trade up for him) and then not feature him in the offense.

LOURam85

UDFA
I have a hard time believing they wanted to use their first pick on a quarterback that wouldn't be starting for the next 3 years. I can believe they wanted to trade up for Bowers or a left tackle. But the 6th quarterback left? One who a lot people had rated as a second round pick? When they have the best quarterback in the division? Arguably the best quarterback in the NFC?
It could explain why Stafford wants more security knowing they tried to draft his successor

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I agree Williams should shut up and keep his head down like any good rook. But some guys are good enough to where the rules change a bit. Williams is probably one of those guys. Doesn't mean he can do what he wants, however I don't think he's stepped in it yet with the players. At least not yet.

Some of these wideouts probably liked that previous QB, who actually couldn't play for shit. So all that stuff goes out the window when you see that new QB can play. One thing about players is if you can play you're good in that locker room. If they know you're gonna win them games they're gonna get in line. He just has to deliver.

I agree Williams should shut up and keep his head down like any good rook. But some guys are good enough to where the rules change a bit. Williams is probably one of those guys. Doesn't mean he can do what he wants, however I don't think he's stepped in it yet with the players. At least not yet.

Some of these wideouts probably liked that previous QB, who actually couldn't play for shit. So all that stuff goes out the window when you see that new QB can play. One thing about players is if you can play you're good in that locker room. If they know you're gonna win them games they're gonna get in line. He just has to deliver.
One of those guys was a cornerback and yeah, probably his buddy.
Quarterbacks need to have a good brain between their ears for long term success in the NFL. Williams does not seem to have it.
Myself, I doubt the Bears hit big on this one. I would tale Nix all day over him and I did not like Nix all that much.
I prefer quarterbacks who rely on the brain first, arm 2nd and their legs, way down the list. Hand the ball of to a RB.
We have the real deal at QB right now with plenty of time to find McVays next project.
Need to keep him interested enough to stay our coach for 20-30 years. Overpay McVay !

Memphis Ram

Legend
It could explain why Stafford wants more security knowing they tried to draft his successor
Or could it be his age and injury history.

Besides, what player at any position wouldn't want guaranteed money in future years when they are going into the final year of guaranteed money on their deal?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Quarterbacks need to have a good brain between their ears for long term success in the NFL. Williams does not seem to have it.
Gotta say there have been some real dipshits that were good at QB. Bradshaw for example. So trying to nail down what sort of intelligence is the type you need is something I am sure teams can write encyclopedias on. Personally I don't know that we ever have enough to judge them on that front without being a fly on the wall in the QB room or the coach getting drunk at the bar telling you the truth on the guy.

But I can judge them by how much they fidget fuck around when the pressure builds. How they misfire or lose their bowels and turn into football dispensers.

I remember way back when Martz said the QB had to be the most competitive player on the field, and thinking to myself that was a bit of a simplification. But the older I get the more I realize he was right. And beyond that I think it's about courage as well, plain and simple. And since I've prioritized that in my QB looks it feels like a better way to project these guys. Or maybe I'm just a mean old fart and like a simpler evaluation process. :laugh4:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Higbee had to be either extended or released for salary cap purposes. And Higbee isn't a talent like Brock Bowers who is MUCH closer to the talented Jordan Reed that McVay had in Washington. Even better given his YAC and blocking ability, IMO.

In the end, there's a slim chance that McVay would use a 1st round selection on Bowers (much less trade up for him) and then not feature him in the offense.
“Blocking ability”? All I remember hearing during the draft process was that bowers was a move TE, blocking NOT being a strength.

I don’t know if this injury will be the final blow to a noteworthy career, but the number one reason every TE has failed to supplant Higbee is they can’t block as well as him.
I have been re-watching clips from the Rams’ 7-1 stretch run to end last season and it is obvious how vital Higbee was to the success of the running game.

Side note:
Hoecht jumps out as a guy with a nonstop motor. Oft maligned for getting caught in coverage, he plays his guts out and was integral to the defense last year. Can he be upgraded? Sure, but they won’t be able to keep him off of the field. He’s gonna get his snaps.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
the number one reason every TE has failed to supplant Higbee is they can’t block as well as him.
Good point.

I think that’s where Parkinson enters the equation. He’s almost exactly the same size as Higbee and should be able to perform at a similar level in the blocking game, as well as being a reliable pass catcher.