Carson Wentz vs. Jared Goff: Who is the better pick in the 2016 NFL Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Either is fine with me. Though might prefer Wentz by a tiny fraction,
The thing is if either played for the Rams last season instead of playing in college the Rams would have made the playoffs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That means you want to move up to 1 overall then, Mojo. Because Cleveland is almost surely going to take him.
If they know what's good for them, yeah.
Rams have built a a top end defense and appear to have a program in place there with young guys coming up in the development process behind a group of studs at several positions, so assuming FA goes well re-signing our own guys i like what's in place there. Offensively we've got holes but the offensive line has been addressed and is simmering like a stew as we speak. We've got our centerpiece in Gurley, and a weapon with Austin. The WR core needs to be overhauled, the TE's are meh, and this offseason i believe the Rams either need to go all in on a QB like Wentz(making a bold move) and patch up the offensive weapons as best as they can....or settle at QB and go all in upgrading and diversifying the WR and TE positions.

Would giving up a pair of #1's and a #2 really set the program back? I'm not sure it would if you're building an offense around a Wentz with Mannion/Keenum...and Gurley with Mason/Cunningham. That's a young crop of inexpensive options. Passing game targets would still need to be addressed, obviously.

If the Rams stand pat and run with Keenum/Mannion/FA vet, and they add some legit targets and weapons on the outside then that could work too, until another opportunity comes along to get that franchise QB.

I really like Wentz, though. His level of competition(lack of) has been talked about alot, but the same was said about Kalil Mack defensively, and we know how that translated to the next level. If a guy is a fierce competitor and is productive with upside what's not to like?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, they say that there's no big time QBs in this draft, but if Wentz went to a big school, the Luck comparisons would be obvious and he'd be the consensus #1 QB taken, likely first overall.

I think with Wentz, the juice is worth the squeeze. It's a lot of squeeze, but it's a Luck level of juice. We win Super Bowls with that.
It's always dangerous to fall in love with a prospect, but i agree with you. Wentz looks like a gamer.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My thing with Wentz is he's one of the few guys who fall in my "special" player category.

A SPECIAL player for me is someone who looks better each time I watch. Each time I look for flaws, I instead see the little things that make the big difference between good and great.

First time I noticed that was Suh. Second time was Aaron Donald. Third time was Gurley. I remember saying that we needed a QB, but Gurley was going to be special.

Well, the more I watch Wentz, the more I see what translates to winning in the NFL. I don't see that with any other QB.

Ram Pat

Rookie
I would try and trade with Cleveland to get Wentz, give them the picks to reload roster. They can trade for Kap. Sell the fact that Hue can rebuild quick or he may get the quick Clev hook!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I would try and trade with Cleveland to get Wentz, give them the picks to reload roster. They can trade for Kap. Sell the fact that Hue can rebuild quick or he may get the quick Clev hook!!

Cleveland needs a QB more than anything else - I think the #2 overall pick would probably cost more than #1 overall.

It's the Titans. They have their QB - this draft has good depth and doesn't have that once in a decade type player that they just have to take while the getting is good. The Titans would do well to trade down - and the Rams (and a few other teams) would do well to trade up.

Now the Titans may hold firm to a price tag that makes a deal unlikely - and if so, then too bad for them and good for Cleveland.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this offseason i believe the Rams either need to go all in on a QB like Wentz(making a bold move) and patch up the offensive weapons as best as they can....or settle at QB and go all in upgrading and diversifying the WR and TE positions.

I think they can do both Mojo, IF they hit that QB right out the gate. If they move up for a round 1 & 2 this year and next:

1. Goff/Wentz
2. WR (goes with one FA addition)
3. DE
4. TE

They still have plenty of picks to address their need areas. I presume they go DE since it's a pricey position and value into midrounds. TE has some good value in rounds 3 and 4. WR good value throughout tbh, lots of guys to boost our depth and/or come in and help out.

Ram Pat

Rookie
Cleveland needs a QB more than anything else - I think the #2 overall pick would probably cost more than #1 overall.

It's the Titans. They have their QB - this draft has good depth and doesn't have that once in a decade type player that they just have to take while the getting is good. The Titans would do well to trade down - and the Rams (and a few other teams) would do well to trade up.

Now the Titans may hold firm to a price tag that makes a deal unlikely - and if so, then too bad for them and good for Cleveland.
Yeah, I know. A guy has to dream. 1&2 this and next = 3000pts on chart, kick in Foles to ice deal!!!