CELEBRATE !! Cards @ Rams Victory / We’re in the Playoffs Thread!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's funny because I was thinking all you folks who blame him for not throwing TDs or only generating a few points offensively completely forget he threw a PERFECT TD pass to Everett (who dropped it), and would have generated points (TDs) if Akers doesn't fumble on the goal line, and the OL doesn't get called for back to back false starts from the goal line.

Not sure what you wanted to see from the guy, but you definitely not giving him enough credit.

All that said, Goff has earned the right to be the guy next week (if he is healed up enough), and we now know we can add a different dimension to the offense and not skip a beat if he goes down from now on.

That's a good thing...

She's not commenting on wolford's play. She's commenting on the hypocrites that lurk in this site.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow bud.. Just seen this.. lol So you calling me a fool or idiot? lol I take it from all media this was his 1st start today? To me, that makes him pretty much a rookie. Sorry if we differ.. You have a great evening my old friend. I've lost some respect for you here. This thread was about the great people that run this site, yet you wish to try and make people look like idiots.. A classic case of an arm chair warrior you are. I'm glad I'm not one.. lol
Moving this to here so it offends you less. We have dozens of vent threads after a loss with 15-20 pages minimum full of shit posts whining about everything and that post laughing about a people thinking we have a QB controversy offends you? If that's what it takes to offend you and call me an arm chair warrior so be it I won't lose any sleep. If my post here maybe wakes you up to the constant negativity around here I'm ok with it.

I've absolutely had a great evening the Rams won and are in the playoffs again we have a great coach and front office an amazing defense and a very bright future. One thing we do not have IMO, a very uninformed and biased opinion for certain, is a QB controversy. I had a great evening I hope you did as well.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Very easy to get a couple of those passes in when the defense doesn't respect the passing game and sells out to stop the run. Just food for thought.

It's more than that IMO. And while Goff is obviously the better QB with more natural talent, I thought the same thing during the game about Walfords down the field passing. He throws the ball down the field aggressively. He missed some throws, it was his first NFL game ever.. and also Everett had some huge drops on perfectly thrown balls. A few deep balls were off by less than a foot too.

But you dont think Walford completing 3 passes of over 20 yards IN THE AIR compared to Goff's 1, over the last 5 games says something? It says a lot to me. I bring up our YAC a lot, because to me Goff is not aggressive and accurate down the field anymore. And Walford in his first game completes more than Goff's previous 5 games combined? Thats pretty crazy to me. How about his total number of down the field shots? He completed 3 but missed another what 4 or 5?

This tells me while Cooks was a great deep threat, we have had opportunities down the field every week. People want to blame McVay, but Goff makes the decisions to take the underneath WRs. Where has his confidence gone with his down the field throws? If we are going to make noise in the playoffs Goff needs to get more aggressive down the field again IMO. This is how Goff attacked through the air in 2017/2018 and its gone now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's more than that IMO. And while Goff is obviously the better QB with more natural talent, I thought the same thing during the game about Walfords down the field passing. He throws the ball down the field aggressively. He missed some throws, it was his first NFL game ever.. and also Everett had some huge drops on perfectly thrown balls. A few deep balls were off by less than a foot too.

But you dont think Walford completing 3 passes of over 20 yards IN THE AIR compared to Goff's 1, over the last 5 games says something? It says a lot to me. I bring up our YAC a lot, because to me Goff is not aggressive and accurate down the field anymore. And Walford in his first game completes more than Goff's previous 5 games? Thats pretty crazy to me. How about his total number of down the field shots? He completed 3 but missed another what 4 or 5?

This tells me while Cooks was a great deep threat, we have had opportunities down the field every week. People want to blame McVay, but Goff makes the decisions to take the underneath WRs. Where has his confidence gone with his down the field throws? If we are going to make noise in the playoffs Goff needs to get more aggressive down the field again IMO.
I honestly don't think it means anything. If I could get half Wolford's athleticism into Jared would I? Absolutely without a doubt no question. Do I think this was a good win for a QB in his first start? Absolutely without a doubt no question. Do I think next week the Seahawks would play the same style of defense vs the Rams? Absolutely not without a doubt no question. Wolford might have a similar game he might even do better. He played good enough for us to win and turned in some damned good plays but he's a limited QB and I would be surprised if he can duplicate this performance though I'd be ecstatic if he could!

Now for the sake of not being negative in the celebration thread I'll stop talking about my feelings regarding his performance and what he offers going forward unless there's a thread about it and him. I'm celebrating the hell out of the Rams win and making the playoffs and I hope everybody else is doing the same.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I honestly don't think it means anything. If I could get half Wolford's athleticism into Jared would I? Absolutely without a doubt no question. Do I think this was a good win for a QB in his first start? Absolutely without a doubt no question. Do I think next week the Seahawks would play the same style of defense vs the Rams? Absolutely not without a doubt no question. Wolford might have a similar game he might even do better. He played good enough for us to win and turned in some damned good plays but he's a limited QB and I would be surprised if he can duplicate this performance though I'd be ecstatic if he could!

Now for the sake of not being negative in the celebration thread I'll stop talking about my feelings regarding his performance and what he offers going forward unless there's a thread about it and him. I'm celebrating the hell out of the Rams win and making the playoffs and I hope everybody else is doing the same.

We're not talking about athleticism at all..I didn't mention that. Goff is more talented and needs to start, has a better arm and gives us the best chance to win.

What I said was Walford attacked down the field with confidence and we were successful doing it. Its a decision to make those throws when you read it out..thats it. And that's exciting, because if Goff can get back to doing this we can make a legit run in the playoffs. A lot of people say we have no deep threats anymore, but we had no Kupp today and still threw the ball down the field and WRs were open.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's funny because I was thinking all you folks who blame him for not throwing TDs or only generating a few points offensively completely forget he threw a PERFECT TD pass to Everett (who dropped it), and would have generated points (TDs) if Akers doesn't fumble on the goal line, and the OL doesn't get called for back to back false starts from the goal line.

Not sure what you wanted to see from the guy, but you are definitely not giving him enough credit.

All that said, Goff has earned the right to be the guy next week (if he is healed up enough), and we now know we can add a different dimension to the offense and not skip a beat if he goes down from now on.

That's a good thing...

The point she's making is that there's a double standard. That's understandable to some degree. Wolford is a backup. This is his first game. I expect people to cut him a break. I expect people to be tough on Goff. He's our starter and highest paid player. But the people who are acting as if Wolford looked like a better QB than Goff with his play today are being disingenuous. And Ewe is right to make that point.

The issues you pointed out aren't reserved to Wolford. Goff just isn't cut the same breaks when they occur during his starts. And that's fine. He should be held to a higher standard. Because he's the better QB (as much as that would pain some to admit).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're not talking about athleticism at all..I didn't mention that. Goff is more talented and needs to start, has a better arm and gives us the best chance to win.

What I said was Walford attacked down the field with confidence and we were successful doing it. Its a decision to make those throws when you read it out..thats it. And that's exciting, because if Goff can get back to doing this we can make a legit run in the playoffs. A lot of people say we have no deep threats anymore, but we had no Kupp today and still threw the ball down the field.
You're confusing what people are saying IMO on deep threats. We don't have anybody with speed that defenses have to respect (the speed). People can get open down field especially when they are focusing on the run and not respecting the passing game. Two vastly different things.

Again Wolford played admirable and I'm done with posts that some people will get offended by because they're sensitive and will take it as negative in the celebration thread. Please I'd love to discuss this further but I will not respond in this thread to this line of discussion again I'm not trying to be offensive to you in this but as far as I'm concerned in this thread we're done talking. Message me or start another thread and tag me if you'd like. The Rams are in the playoffs under McVay again nothing else matter at the moment.

MachS

Hall of Fame
You're confusing what people are saying IMO on deep threats. We don't have anybody with speed that defenses have to respect (the speed). People can get open down field especially when they are focusing on the run and not respecting the passing game. Two vastly different things.

Again Wolford played admirable and I'm done with posts that some people will get offended by because they're sensitive and will take it as negative in the celebration thread. Please I'd love to discuss this further but I will not respond in this thread to this line of discussion again I'm not trying to be offensive to you in this but as far as I'm concerned in this thread we're done talking. Message me or start another thread and tag me if you'd like. The Rams are in the playoffs under McVay again nothing else matter at the moment.

I disagree, I've been reading for weeks that we are a dink and dunk offense now because our WRs cant get separation down the field. Every week when you look at the film we have open WRs down the field, Goff just chooses to take the underneath routes most of the time. I dont think Walford played great, he was good enough to get the win. But what is encouraging to me about this win is obviously the defense continuing to be dominant, but our deep passing game coming back alive. WRs getting open down the field and taking deep shots bodes well for our playoff chances.

Logy

UDFA
Name
Logy

The NFL is a data driven league. It's full of quarterbacks that do well in their first appearance against teams that have no film to prepare for. It's great that it looks like the Rams have a QB that looks like a a decent backup. If Goff's thumb is at a point where he can't play then sure, start Wolford. If Goff can play and you still want to start Wolford, I'd suspect you're a closet Seahawk fan.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’m in the minority on this, but I hope Wolford gets the start next week. I have just fundamentally lost faith that Goff won’t make the killer mistake.

This team could win the whole damn thing with a stellar D, a solid run game, and a mobile game-manager QB that plays mistake-free football.

The team exploded in applause for Wolford when he finally came into the locker room after the game. And McVay sounded absolutely giddy about Wolford at his press conference. Is this just a smoke screen? Maybe. But I have to think McVay is not dismissing the idea of starting Wolford.

Goff has amazing arm talent, and I’ll support Goff 100% if he gets the start. But right now, I’m hoping to keep the mojo flowing with the Wolf.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Not sure how far the Rams get this year in the playoffs but I sure do love this year's team warts and all. Great bunch of dudes to wait for the guy like that and I'm sure he appreciated it. Now if he does nothing else the rest of the playoffs he had a big contribution and can wear that championship ring with pride. If they get one of course. :biggrin:

Van Jefferson deserves more playing time and Everett needs to ride the bench until he finds a new team. Hell, Reynolds could probably fill his role considering they both play equally as soft.
It felt like that was the first game where Van really got action and started to settle into the rhythm of shit. It was a mixed bag too but I'm looking forward to him maybe feeling more comfortable in his first playoff game. Pretty cool for the rooks isn't it?

This rookie class overall has done a great job for us this season. So to finish this season off with a gameplan that depended so much on them and the roster depth was impressive. Really excited to see these guys go up there and at least ball out up there in Seattle.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I’m in the minority on this, but I hope Wolford gets the start next week. I have just fundamentally lost faith that Goff won’t make the killer mistake.

This team could win the whole damn thing with a stellar D, a solid run game, and a mobile game-manager QB that plays mistake-free football.

The team exploded in applause for Wolford when he finally came into the locker room after the game. And McVay sounded absolutely giddy about Wolford at his press conference. Is this just a smoke screen? Maybe. But I have to think McVay is not dismissing the idea of starting Wolford.

Goff has amazing arm talent, and I’ll support Goff 100% if he gets the start. But right now, I’m hoping to keep the mojo flowing with the Wolf.

It says something about the locker room culture that McVay has put into place. And one of the reasons why the Rams are winners the last four seasons. There aren't that many egos in there.

I was happy that Wolf played as well as he did, especially in his first game. But we were playing Arizona, a team we've beat eight times in a row. They never seem to be ready to play us. Once again the Rams pushed them around on both sides of the ball and if not for self inflicted mistakes would've won by 20 or more. Seattle is a tougher matchup.

The offensive line and their ability to run block is what concerns me. I hope Whitworth makes a big difference. But this offense in general is sickly, two straight games without scoring a TD, and it's going to depend on more than what QB is making the start. Goff might make the critical mistake, but the QB making his second ever start is just as likely, if not more so.

Goff has playoff and Super Bowl experience and come January, the QB that has that is the one I have faith in.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
John Wolford = The real 'Johnny Football'

Tano

Legend
I would love to see Jefferson get more plays than Reynolds.

He played a lot better than Reynolds yesterday imho.

And as for Goff not going downfield and taking the short pass, I looked against Seattle in the first half and he had only maybe 3 or 4 chances to go downfield.

One he did to Higbee and the others he took the safe option because they would have been really tough throws.

Otherwise he took the only throw/run available on his other 25 pass plays in the first half.

I think Wolford had quite a few more plays yesterday to go deep due to Arizona selling out to stop the run game.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I'm not going to criticize Wolford, but if Goff threw some of the balls he did the criticism would come raining down from all sides. If he was quarterbacking a game where offense scored 9 points this site would probably crash from all the flames.

i don't think the criticism would have been that bad as long as we put up another w. there is no doubt that there would be some criticism but to say that you are not going to criticize the wolfman and then say if goff made the same throws the criticism would have rained down is in effect criticizing the wolfman.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
And? Has Higbee ever produced like Kelce?
Kelce's worst season as a pro far exceeds what Higs produced in his very best season....
The original comment that I responded to was that the Rams lacked big receivers who could catch a contested throw. If we count TEs, we already have one in Higbee and Kupp is 6’ 2”. We don’t need a power forward who can rebound if Goff could process faster and throw more accurately.

Ellard80

Legend
If healthy I can't imagine goff doesn't start.

Howver some of these "if goff did this" you'd be calling for his head.

c'mon now lol... this was the dude's first nfl start... by the way in Goff's first nfl start he was 17-31 134 yards.

Goff has 4 years of starts... so those are silly statements.

I don't see Goff not starting next week if his thumb is okay.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
She's not commenting on wolford's play. She's commenting on the hypocrites that lurk in this site.

The point she's making is that there's a double standard. That's understandable to some degree. Wolford is a backup. This is his first game. I expect people to cut him a break. I expect people to be tough on Goff. He's our starter and highest paid player. But the people who are acting as if Wolford looked like a better QB than Goff with his play today are being disingenuous. And Ewe is right to make that point.

The issues you pointed out aren't reserved to Wolford. Goff just isn't cut the same breaks when they occur during his starts. And that's fine. He should be held to a higher standard. Because he's the better QB (as much as that would pain some to admit).

I don't know who's coming at me cause I have them on ignore (looks like a good choice) But thank you both you are correct

Still happy this morning!! I hope whoever we have at QB next week we just win GO RAMS!