Cardale Jones (Who is he?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That quote is three years old. Just a kid with football as his future talking about the hipocrsy of football vs all other sports.... age limits so you have to fake going to college. No different from anything we said as a 19 year old.

You also might want to read this article about the QB situation at OSU. ... very interesting. They do not mention the NFL option for him. My opinion if he comes out worst case round 2. Lots of skills to develop.

Ohio State QB situation: What's next for Braxton Miller, J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones? - College Football - SI.com​

Round 2? Worst case? No way.

I think he would go a bit later than round 2. Round 2 would be best case IMO. He plays two games and the book is out? How much offense does he really know? Did he really look 'that' good? I don't think he was amazing. His best asset is he is a truck that can knock down linebackers. His throws were all good high quality throws. He had nice poise which is a big asset but it wasn't like he was hitting on all of his passes. Or he had out of this world accuracy.

We have had a very small sample size of Cardale Jones.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that I know who he is - How high would you draft him if he comes out?

WestCoastRam

Legend
The QB draft class is horrible. Cardale - if everything checks out with background checks, etc - could be the 3rd QB behind Maroita and Winston. Seriously. He's shows a better skillset than guys drafted in the 1st round in other drafts (take Blaine Gabbert... seriously, I couldn't believe he went that high!)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Right now I wouldn't mind taking him at 10. It's risky but he's just that good to me.

Memphis Ram

Legend
0ap3000000457641.jpg

Ric Tapia/NFL
Cardale Jones rose from third string to superstar in Ohio State's last three games.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Cardale Jones' smile was contagious as a Gatorade bath splashed down on head coach Urban Meyer following Ohio State's emphatic 42-20 win over Oregon in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game on Monday night.

The quarterback's meteoric rise from third-stringer to starting quarterback for a national title winner is the stuff that those around the state of Ohio will talk about for decades to come. He won three straight games against the three 2014 Heisman Trophy finalists as an underdog, earning comparisons to Cam Newton and Ben Roethlisberger due to his size and arm strength.

His quick rise has been followed by questions as to whether the draft-eligible redshirt sophomore will cut short his stay in Columbus. When asked after the title game whether he will return for another year with the Buckeyes, the affable signal-caller left the door open to capitalizing on his intriguing talents at the next level.

"I'm not going to say 'definitely,'" Jones said. "(The NFL) is something that I'll consider. My most important focus is getting my degree."

Jones attended Fork Union Military Academy for one semester, so he would be the required three years removed from high school to apply for early entry into the 2015 NFL Draft. If he decides to return to OSU, he faces a potentially tough battle at retaining his starting job, despite leading the team to the title, due to the presence of former starter J.T. Barrett and possibly even two-time Big Ten Player of the Year Braxton Miller.

Would Jones accept returning to a backup role?

"Now that's a good question," Jones said. "I don't know."

The potential battle to be the starter for the defending national champions in 2015 was already plenty intriguing. Jones' decision before the Jan. 15 deadline for underclassmen to apply for early entry could just add fuel to the already intense QB fire for the Buckeyes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...arned-osus-cardale-jones-considering-nfl-jump

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If I have to...yes.

Only thing that would deter me if I were a GM is if he performed poorly in interviews and/or failed the character/medical checks.

The kid has the same type of physical talent as Culpepper and Newton. He's effortless in his delivery but generates an unreal amount of zip. He's a freaking tank that's incredibly difficult to sack. And he's incredibly mobile for his size. I'd guess a 4.6 40.

Did anyone else see where he got stood up a yard short of the first down by the Oregon Nose Tackle and Jones just ran right through him to get the first? WOW!

Last edited:

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Couple of items...

I really believe he is coming out. He is 22 now. Be 23 next year and will not be #1 on the depth chart. That will be J.T. Barrett with C. Jones #2 B. Miller will transfer (graduates this year so he can walk to another high profile school and play. In the wings are two highly thought of freshmen four-star dual-threat Torrance Gibson and three-star Ohio Mr. Football Joey Burrow. If he stays next year he stays for 2 years and will be 25 going into the pros. Not a good age. He is better off coming now.

He is the hands down the 3rd best QB prospect behind Winston & Mariotta (maybe) right now. I see him going anywhere from 10 to 16. If we do not take him at 10 or trade back to at worst 15, I do not believe he gets past the O'Brien & Texans at 16.

beej

Rookie
Couple of items...

I really believe he is coming out. He is 22 now. Be 23 next year and will not be #1 on the depth chart. That will be J.T. Barrett with C. Jones #2 B. Miller will transfer (graduates this year so he can walk to another high profile school and play. In the wings are two highly thought of freshmen four-star dual-threat Torrance Gibson and three-star Ohio Mr. Football Joey Burrow. If he stays next year he stays for 2 years and will be 25 going into the pros. Not a good age. He is better off coming now.

He is the hands down the 3rd best QB prospect behind Winston & Mariotta (maybe) right now. I see him going anywhere from 10 to 16. If we do not take him at 10 or trade back to at worst 15, I do not believe he gets past the O'Brien & Texans at 16.
listen to what you're saying. He is 3rd best in the nfl draft and 2nd best on his own team. I don't buy it.

fearsomefour

Legend
He reminds me of Daunte Culpepper in terms of physical tools.
I think both McNair and Culpepper are fair physical comparisons. Both had experience playing in college. McNair never developed into a complete QB in my opinion and spent the whole first 2/3 of his career with a major hole in his passing game. Culpepper was better in my opinion. Point is a guy like Jones has measurables but who knows where he is mentally or as far as his understanding of the game.
I am surprised the guy didn't transfer to another smaller school to get on the field....and if he stays in college and has to sit behind Barrett he may do just that. That is probably the best thing for him. I think he will disappoint where he is taken if he goes into the draft.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think both McNair and Culpepper are fair physical comparisons. Both had experience playing in college. McNair never developed into a complete QB in my opinion and spent the whole first 2/3 of his career with a major hole in his passing game. Culpepper was better in my opinion. Point is a guy like Jones has measurables but who knows where he is mentally or as far as his understanding of the game.
I am surprised the guy didn't transfer to another smaller school to get on the field....and if he stays in college and has to sit behind Barrett he may do just that. That is probably the best thing for him. I think he will disappoint where he is taken if he goes into the draft.

I dont understand the logic in returning to school only to sit on the bench when its clear someone will draft this kid and probably pretty high. Why would you stay in college when there are millions of dollars waiting on you?? You can always go back and finish school with all that money if it doesnt work out. I just cant see him staying unless Myer convinces him that hes got a real shot to be the starter next year at Ohio.

fearsomefour

Legend
I dont understand the logic in returning to school only to sit on the bench when its clear someone will draft this kid and probably pretty high. Why would you stay in college when there are millions of dollars waiting on you?? You can always go back and finish school with all that money if it doesnt work out. I just cant see him staying unless Myer convinces him that hes got a real shot to be the starter next year at Ohio.
I don't think someone is going to take him high enough to ensure millions....and it sort of depends what is meant by millions....3 million over 4 years or 15 million? I mean, its all good work if you can get it.
I just think he needs to gain experience. History has shown us that raw physical talents, who have not spent their time learning the game, rarely succeed. He could easily by a Pryor kind of player....huge natural talent, but, without the ability to run an offense, read defenses make adjustments at the line ect., the long term likelihood of success is slim.
To me, the wise move would be to transfer to a school where he is sure to play and gain much needed experience.
If he does come out, hey, I hope he is successful (unless he ends up in SF or AZ). Three games then the draft? Doesn't make much sense to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
If I have to...yes.

Only thing that would deter me if I were a GM is if he performed poorly in interviews and/or failed the character/medical checks.

The kid has the same type of physical talent as Culpepper and Newton. He's effortless in his delivery but generates an unreal amount of zip. He's a freaking tank that's incredibly difficult to sack. And he's incredibly mobile for his size. I'd guess a 4.6 40.

Did anyone else see where he got stood up a yard short of the first down by the Oregon Nose Tackle and Jones just ran right through him to get the first? WOW!
Kap.
Size, ability to run and arm strength don't guarantee success. With such a small sample size there is zero chance I would take him at 10 or anywhere in the first round.

Athos

Legend
He's the guy that better come out so we can draft him.

Just draft him, restructure Bradford, and bring in another VET QB. May even still trade for Glennon.

Jones isn't ingrained enough in a spread that I believe he could pick up the pro-style sooner without all the bad spread habits hindering him.

Newton only had a year starting at AUB. Just sit and develop Jones and reap the benefits.

Rather pick him at 10 than the bums that are left after Winston and Mariota.

Last edited:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I don't think someone is going to take him high enough to ensure millions....and it sort of depends what is meant by millions....3 million over 4 years or 15 million? I mean, its all good work if you can get it.
I just think he needs to gain experience. History has shown us that raw physical talents, who have not spent their time learning the game, rarely succeed. He could easily by a Pryor kind of player....huge natural talent, but, without the ability to run an offense, read defenses make adjustments at the line ect., the long term likelihood of success is slim.
To me, the wise move would be to transfer to a school where he is sure to play and gain much needed experience.
If he does come out, hey, I hope he is successful (unless he ends up in SF or AZ). Three games then the draft? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm Pretty sure if he transfers he has to sit a year(someone correct me if I'm wrong) so by the time he got to play he would only be able to play for one year and when he entered the draft he would be 26 or almost 26 years old that's really old for a QB to be entering the draft and would turn some teams off I'm sure especially since he seems like a guy who may take a couple of years to develop. that puts him at 28 years old before he ever sees an NFL field.

Athos

Legend
I'm Pretty sure if he transfers he has to sit a year(someone correct me if I'm wrong) so by the time he got to play he would only be able to play for one year and when he entered the draft he would be 26 or almost 26 years old that's really old for a QB to be entering the draft and would turn some teams off I'm sure especially since he seems like a guy who may take a couple of years to develop. that puts him at 28 years old before he ever sees an NFL field.

After the Wheedon thing, teams really won't want to draft a QB high that's that old.

And yea, he has to sit out a year I believe. If he had his degree already and still had eligibility, it wouldn't matter from my understanding.

fearsomefour

Legend
Could be, not sure how it works with transferring.

Athos

Legend
I'd be happy trading down in the 1st and taking him in the 20s if we could.

Would mean we could still spend a lot of draft capital on lineman.

Really, unless w/e team drafts him (if he stays) is a spread O system, I'm not really sure what he couldn't gain from sitting on the NFL bench, learning from Bradford, and getting a year + with a playbook in his lap, etc.

Not sure OSU's system would be doing much in him developing as a QB other than reps, which can be simulated elsewhere provided he puts the work in.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I'd be happy trading down in the 1st and taking him in the 20s if we could.

Would mean we could still spend a lot of draft capital on lineman.

Really, unless w/e team drafts him (if he stays) is a spread O system, I'm not really sure what he couldn't gain from sitting on the NFL bench, learning from Bradford, and getting a year + with a playbook in his lap, etc.

Not sure OSU's system would be doing much in him developing as a QB other than reps, which can be simulated elsewhere provided he puts the work in.

And even if he doesnt play the first year He would get a lot of playing time in the preseason which is (baring injury to Ohio starting QB) more than he would get at Ohio.