Cardale Jones (Who is he?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I never even heard of this guy until a few weeks ago and now he sounds like one of the the better QB's (Although, he's seen very limited playing time until the Wisonsin & Alaama games) in college football and he's only a redshirt sophomore! Crazy question but is there any chance he is considering entering the draft? Sounds kind of crazy but with his good showing in tonight's game against Alabama would some agents try to get him to declare while he is a hot commodity? Apparently, this QB IS huge!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope he does. He's not going to start next year(likely) because of Barrett.

He's the kid that said, "I didn't come to Ohio State to play school" or something like that 3 years ago.

But he's a beastly physical talent. 6'5" 250, mobile, and has a cannon.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

He's the kid that said, "I didn't come to Ohio State to play school" or something like that 3 years ago.

If he does declare for the 2015 Draft do you think the Rams would have any interest and if so what Round do you think he will get selected?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he does declare for the 2015 Draft do you think the Rams would have any interest and if so what Round do you think he will get selected?

Possibly. And I have no idea. Physical tools are elite but he has next to no experience. There's never really been anyone like this that declared so it's impossible to gauge where he'd go.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Meyers offense is not the same as a Pro offense. It is easier to run. It will be very difficult to guage if Jones can handle the NFL as a QB without his experience. I wonder how high of a pick he would garner. I doubt he declares at this stage of the game....but you never know.

Here is his infamous tweet - "Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL," Jones wrote. "We ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS."

As someone who paid dearly for his own college education, Jones is the epitome of what I hate about college athletics. He does not deserve a scholarship. He, like many others, belongs in an NFL minor league.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
My concern with Jones based on last night is that OSU called plays with Jones as RG3 and Meyer as Mike Shanahan. He has the size and speed to make plays, but he was taking some huge shots. Hard to tell if he could play well without the crash test dummy part of his game. Meyer knows that Jones only has to last for two(now one) game, and then it's on to the next toy.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If Jones comes out, we have no idea where he could go. He could be a premium pick because of his physical abilities or a late round pick because of his incredible lack of experience. You can't see him starting over Barrett next year, so coming out is the best chance for him you would think now that he can showcase his talents a little in some big games.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My concern with Jones based on last night is that OSU called plays with Jones as RG3 and Meyer as Mike Shanahan. He has the size and speed to make plays, but he was taking some huge shots. Hard to tell if he could play well without the crash test dummy part of his game. Meyer knows that Jones only has to last for two(now one) game, and then it's on to the next toy.

Yes we have no idea how much they streamlined their playbook for him and how much he could actually handle without being the man for a season.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Meyers offense is not the same as a Pro offense. It is easier to run. It will be very difficult to guage if Jones can handle the NFL as a QB without his experience. I wonder how high of a pick he would garner. I doubt he declares at this stage of the game....but you never know.

Here is his infamous tweet - "Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL," Jones wrote. "We ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS."

As someone who paid dearly for his own college education, Jones is the epitome of what I hate about college athletics. He does not deserve a scholarship. He, like many others, belongs in an NFL minor league.
This shouldn't be ignored either.
It leaves the impression that he's the type of person that will always do the bare minimum of what's required.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It leaves the impression that he's the type of person that will always do the bare minimum of what's required.

Agreed and not smart to put it out there like that. If I was the Coach or AD I would not be happy.

duckhunter

Starter
I've watched him takeover the previous two games(my mind is going blank). I wasn't really impressed and thought OSU had no place being in the BCS final four with him as QB. Boy, was I wrong.

Sure he hangs on to the ball too long and made some bad throws, but the guy has ice water running through his veins and made some nifty 3rd down throws. A frigging horse running the ball.

One to watch next year for sure.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Agreed and not smart to put it out there like that. If I was the Coach or AD I would not be happy.

Agreed! I did not know this until I was watching FOX NEWS this morning and they brought up how College Sports (especially football) was getting more and more like a big business (Nothing New!) especially with the addition of the Playoff System and then one of the Hosts brought up Jones and what he said. I am guessing there are a LOT of players that feel that way but not too many who make it public especially when they are preparing for such a big game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's also been said that he grew up since them and really started taking things seriously which is why he's had the turnaround he did. That was 2 or 3 years ago when that was said. Kids mature.

Regardless, I'm not advocating a first round pick. I'm aware of all the risks. But I'm also aware that he's the rare sort of prospect that won't go highly despite the physical tools but also hasn't proven he can't get the job done. If he had proven it, he'd go top 10. If he had proven he couldn't do it, he'd go late rounds. But he falls in neither category which just never happens.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

Agreed! I did not know this until I was watching FOX NEWS this morning and they brought up how College Sports (especially football) was getting more and more like a big business (Nothing New!) especially with the addition of the Playoff System and then one of the Hosts brought up Jones and what he said. I am guessing there are a LOT of players that feel that way but not too many who make it public especially when they are preparing for such a big game.

That quote is three years old. Just a kid with football as his future talking about the hipocrsy of football vs all other sports.... age limits so you have to fake going to college. No different from anything we said as a 19 year old.

You also might want to read this article about the QB situation at OSU. ... very interesting. They do not mention the NFL option for him. My opinion if he comes out worst case round 2. Lots of skills to develop.

Ohio State QB situation: What's next for Braxton Miller, J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones? - College Football - SI.com​

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's also been said that he grew up since them and really started taking things seriously which is why he's had the turnaround he did. That was 2 or 3 years ago when that was said. Kids mature.

Regardless, I'm not advocating a first round pick. I'm aware of all the risks. But I'm also aware that he's the rare sort of prospect that won't go highly despite the physical tools but also hasn't proven he can't get the job done. If he had proven it, he'd go top 10. If he had proven he couldn't do it, he'd go late rounds. But he falls in neither category which just never happens.
That makes more sense.
I'd expect a 17-18 yr old to say something like that.
Not a twenty something that's suppose to be the face of a franchise.

paceram

Pro Bowler
That quote is three years old. Just a kid with football as his future talking about the hipocrsy of football vs all other sports.... age limits so you have to fake going to college. No different from anything we said as a 19 year old.

You also might want to read this article about the QB situation at OSU. ... very interesting. They do not mention the NFL option for him. My opinion if he comes out worst case round 2. Lots of skills to develop.

Ohio State QB situation: What's next for Braxton Miller, J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones? - College Football - SI.com​

Thanks for the clarification! Kind of reminds me of Paul Harvey's old quote "Now, for the Rest of the Story!"! I am just curious if he does decide to declare for the 2015 Draft if the Rams will have any interest. He could be a great backup to Sam Bradford (If, the Rams keep him) while he is learning. I still prefer Mariota,Winston and even Petty but I am guessing Mariota and Winston will both be gone by the time the Rams pick in the 1st Round and I don't think the Rams will pick Petty with their 10th pick and he will probably be gone by the time they pick in the 2nd Round.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like the kid, Love his arm, absolute freaking cannon!! And hes is a bull in the run game when he has to be. Would need to sit for a year or two before starting of course, but I have liked what I have seen from him so far.

Dont think he will declrare but not sure he wants to sit behind Barrett either. And Barrett did look good as well. Crazy situation OSU is having with 3 QB's all worthy starters.