Can We Find A Place For Aaron Donald On This Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
We need the depth.
No doubt i agree, but in no way shape or form are they going to even consider taking a DT high when you got a DT2 in Langford that is getting 4 mill i believe it is, if we draft a DT high he'll be a starter IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt i agree, but in no way shape or form are they going to even consider taking a DT high when you got a DT2 in Langford that is getting 4 mill i believe it is, if we draft a DT high he'll be a starter IMO.

They better consider it. Donald is special. 6'1" 285-290 with dominant film and now he's tearing up the combine. Allow him to develop a year behind Langford while rotating, playing on passing downs and adding weight in a NFL S&C Program then cut Langford at 2014.

Guy ran a 4.65 40 at 285 pounds. He won every major national award in 2013 that a college DL could win. He was the best player at the Senior Bowl.

This is the type of guy that you regret passing on a few years down the road. This is a John Randle type talent. And I know that's crazy high praise. Putting him on a DL with Brockers, Long and Quinn is straight up unfair.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/24/aaron-donalds-also-opening-eyes-with-his-40/

Aaron Donald’s also opening eyes with his 40
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 24, 2014

Jadeveon Clowney isn’t the only physical freak among the defensive linemen working out today at the Scouting Combine.

Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald just ran his first 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.65 seconds.

At 285 pounds.

Even when that one’s inevitably rounded down a bit, that’s still stretching the laws of physics. When you multiply mass times acceleration, it will make Donald a high pick anyway.

But the short-area acceleration which is so vital for defensive linemen is where you get a real sense of Donald’s burst. His 10-yard split was 1.59 seconds, a hair behind Clowney’s 1.56, for a guy carrying an extra 20 pounds.

That is going to earn Donald a lot of comparisons to players such as Bengals All-Pro Geno Atkins, and guarantee that unlike Atkins, he won’t have to wait until the fourth round.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
If we could trade down and land all three of Donald, Clinton-Dix and Yankey/Su'a-Filo, that'd be just about perfect. I just can't see the value in taking Donald at #13 without having addressed the far bigger needs at both safety and guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OL'ers & DL'ers build those trenches up & the Rams will have its first winning season in over a decade! Draft all those fancy pretty fancy shinny playtoys all you want and keep on loosing.....if you want to beat Seattle better beef up the Ram lines. None of these fancy play toys would have helped us beat Seattle or San Fran in 2013 or into the future.

Snead & Fisher in 2012 & 2013 have had ten draft selections in day 1 & day 2 of both drafts. Only ONE of the TEN premium draft picks invested into Ram lineman. We took a WR with the first pick in 2013, first pick in the 2nd rd. in 2012 & the 3rd pick in 2013 & now more of my ROD friends want to continue with this pattern with another WR with the overall #2 pick in the draft:confused:....made very little difference in the Rams having a winning season (n). I think Snead knows this & he is smart enough to break this playtoy draft selection pattern he & Fisher have found themselves in.

Can you name me Ram interior DL'er who can bring constant pressure from inside?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Snead & Fisher in 2012 & 2013 have had ten draft selections in day 1 & day 2 of both drafts. Only ONE of the TEN premium draft picks invested into Ram lineman. We took a WR with the first pick in 2013, first pick in the 2nd rd. in 2012 & the 3rd pick in 2013 & now more of my ROD friends want to continue with this pattern with another WR with the overall #2 pick in the draft:confused:....made very little difference in the Rams having a winning season (n). I think Snead knows this & he is smart enough to break this playtoy draft selection pattern he & Fisher have found themselves in.
You know that argument assumes all receivers are the same, and that that's not really the case... right? Of that group, only Quick was projected to be a possible #1 type, and it was known he'd be a project for that.

Plus, the argument does ignore that the biggest free agency signing of Snisher-dom has been a Left Tackle.

There's wanting your man, and then there's the "My way is smart, your way is something else." approach. The former is fine, the latter... let's just say you wouldn't appreciate it directed at you.

Also, Bailey was the 4th pick by the Rams in 2013, after Austin, Ogletree and McDonald.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
They better consider it. Donald is special. 6'1" 285-290 with dominant film and now he's tearing up the combine. Allow him to develop a year behind Langford while rotating, playing on passing downs and adding weight in a NFL S&C Program then cut Langford at 2014.

Guy ran a 4.65 40 at 285 pounds. He won every major national award in 2013 that a college DL could win. He was the best player at the Senior Bowl.

This is the type of guy that you regret passing on a few years down the road. This is a John Randle type talent. And I know that's crazy high praise. Putting him on a DL with Brockers, Long and Quinn is straight up unfair.
I agree with you actually I just don't see us drafting Donald to be a rotational player especially if it's going to take the 13th pick which i believe is around where he should be selected. I just think Snisher wants to improve the back end of the defense to fit Gregg Williams scheme to a tee.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'm not trying to win. I'm trying to convert more Donald believers! :wink:

Not to argue, but watching that video against FSU (I didn't watch ALL of it) he looked like he got handled pretty well by the OG.
It's just a small sample of course but I don't see what you do. He's doesn't look any better than what we already have a DT. JMO

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He looked average in that game? Man, you have impossibly high standards for DTs if that's average.

Wasn't strong enough against FSU? He put their OG on his behind or on skates at least a few times in that game. How many times was he blown off the ball? Very rarely.
Just can't agree Jerry. The first 2 minutes I watched the OG pushed HIM back.
Now that's not every snap but he is not a top 20 pick. Just my opinion and I've been wrong more than once :0

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You know that argument assumes all receivers are the same, and that that's not really the case... right? Of that group, only Quick was projected to be a possible #1 type, and it was known he'd be a project for that. Plus, the argument does ignore that the biggest free agency signing of Snisher-dom has been a Left Tackle. There's wanting your man, and then there's the "My way is smart, your way is something else." approach. The former is fine, the latter... let's just say you wouldn't appreciate it directed at you. Also, Bailey was the 4th pick by the Rams in 2013, after Austin, Ogletree and McDonald.

I was under the impression that we were discussing the draft Boffo97. You might want to help me out in understanding fully the below comment in a PM. "There's wanting your man, and then there's the "My way is smart, your way is something else." approach. The former is fine, the latter... let's just say you wouldn't appreciate it directed at you." I really do feel that this Rams teams needs a heavy dose of lineman both sides & it would be very smart to draft the Rams some.

I was commenting on the evidence that Fisher/Snead had NOT concentrated on lineman in either of the all important first two days of the three days drafts with the 9 out of 10 comment.That was my major point. The Rams do have not have a pass rusher in the interior DL & IMO Aaron Donald would be a fine targeted DL if possible. Yes Fisher did bring in one UFA DT in 2012.

Sure there are all kinds of pass catchers.... yes you will get no debate out of me in that specific point but the fact is Rams are thick in young talented pass catchers! (WR/SL/TE) total of 8, throw in 5 RB's bunch of young talented skilled cadre there I was under the strong impression that the Ram 2013 offense underutilized many of these skilled pass catchers. The Rams are 3 plus deep in these skilled positions with no losses to UFA or injury/surgery. Rams had four ex linemen who started for this 2013 Rams team now in free agency & 3 starting linemen rehabbing back from surgeries/injuries that's 7 total linemen & Rams have zero pass catchers involved in free agency injuries & surgeries......that is a major part of my argument on Snead & Fisher redirecting their attention on linemen in the 2014 draft.

Yes WR Tavon Austin & LB Ogletree were first day selections. safety TJ McDonald & WR Stedman Bailey were 2nd day selections in 2013 both 3rd rd picks. Bailey was not a 4th round third day selection.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You know that argument assumes all receivers are the same, and that that's not really the case... right? Of that group, only Quick was projected to be a possible #1 type, and it was known he'd be a project for that.

Plus, the argument does ignore that the biggest free agency signing of Snisher-dom has been a Left Tackle.

There's wanting your man, and then there's the "My way is smart, your way is something else." approach. The former is fine, the latter... let's just say you wouldn't appreciate it directed at you.

Also, Bailey was the 4th pick by the Rams in 2013, after Austin, Ogletree and McDonald.
Not sure why you think he directed that at you or your position. I think Bonifay is just voicing his view. And it doesn't go along with needing another flashy player. I wouldn't go the personal route because I don't think he meant it that way.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I was under the impression that we were discussing the draft Boffo97. You might want to help me out in understanding fully the below comment in a PM. "There's wanting your man, and then there's the "My way is smart, your way is something else." approach. The former is fine, the latter... let's just say you wouldn't appreciate it directed at you." I really do feel that this Rams teams needs a heavy dose of lineman both sides & it would be very smart to draft the Rams some.
Don't really need a PM. Look at the quoted message.

now more of my ROD friends want to continue with this pattern with another WR with the overall #2 pick in the draft:confused:....made very little difference in the Rams having a winning season (n). I think Snead knows this & he is smart enough to break this playtoy draft selection pattern he & Fisher have found themselves in.
Don't you see an implication there regarding the opposite opinion?

I think it'd be smart to draft Watkins (although I agree with you the OL does need some love before Round 4. I'd be shocked not see a guard go in the Round 2 pick or even at #13 if one's rated highly enough and beats out the S need). There's also a smart school of thought in drafting a tackle.

There's no one smart way to do this... because if there is one, that pretty clearly implies there's a dumb way. I think some people would be offended if I said something like "The Rams brought in a big money LT when we already had one, and now more of my ROD friends want to continue with this pattern with another LT with the overall #2 pick in the draft:confused:....made very little difference in the Rams having a winning season (n). I think Snead knows this & he is smart enough not to draft a position that we already filled last year."

But, if you still don't see it, I won't pursue it further with you. No need to burden the board. And I don't necessarily think you meant anything personal... it's just... if we start emphasizing only ONE smart plan... we're going to end up divided and have a lousy 2 months until the draft.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Donald's 40 time compared to Suh and Timmy Jernigan.

LOL, not even close.:D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm just not in the DT early camp. I'm sure this guy will be very good. I just think we are in pretty decent shape there and would rather work on positions that will get us more points. I'd put Evans and Watkins ahead of Donald with any pick we would have in the top 15. I want top talent on the O-line first and foremost and wouldn't be the least bit upset if we took a OT with our first pick and a Guard with our 1st pick of the 2nd round.

But at least Donald can run faster than Suh. So when Suh comes off the bench to kick Donald, he won't be able to catch him.

jjab360

Legend
I'm just not in the DT early camp. I'm sure this guy will be very good. I just think we are in pretty decent shape there and would rather work on positions that will get us more points. I'd put Evans and Watkins ahead of Donald with any pick we would have in the top 15. I want top talent on the O-line first and foremost and wouldn't be the least bit upset if we took a OT with our first pick and a Guard with our 1st pick of the 2nd round.

But at least Donald can run faster than Suh. So when Suh comes off the bench to kick Donald, he won't be able to catch him.
I'm in the getting great players camp. Donald is almost as can't miss as any player in this draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to argue, but watching that video against FSU (I didn't watch ALL of it) he looked like he got handled pretty well by the OG.
It's just a small sample of course but I don't see what you do. He's doesn't look any better than what we already have a DT. JMO

I recommend watching all of it. I can't believe a guy was handled in a game where he could have realistically sacked the QB 5 times.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm in the getting great players camp. Donald is almost as can't miss as any player in this draft.
Maybe you're right. Personally, I doubt that very much. As great as he is in college and as impressive as his numbers are in the Combine, I'm not convinced he will be able to burst through NFL O-lines. Aside from ours of course if we don't spend some capital and beef up.

Also, I prefer making it more difficult to throw over your interior line. I wouldn't doubt that he would be an upgrade over Langford but a can't miss player? I don't put him in that small group.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe you're right. Personally, I doubt that very much. As great as he is in college and as impressive as his numbers are in the Combine, I'm not convinced he will be able to burst through NFL O-lines. Aside from ours of course if we don't spend some capital and beef up.

Also, I prefer making it more difficult to throw over your interior line. I wouldn't doubt that he would be an upgrade over Langford but a can't miss player? I don't put him in that small group.

I agree with jjab. Safe pick. Guy can burst through gaps, run over OLs, throw them out of the way or use his versatile set of pass rush moves to get around them.

jjab360

Legend

His first step and initial quickness is absurd and insane. Combine that with a strong swim move and elite closing speed and this guy's going to burst through some NFL O-lines and make plays. Dominated the senior bowl practices and the game against future NFL O-linemen.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I recommend watching all of it. I can't believe a guy was handled in a game where he could have realistically sacked the QB 5 times.

Will do. You know watching highlight videos is the same as watching an entire game. Some is good, great or just average.
Where do you think he will actually be drafted (spot)