Can We Find A Place For Aaron Donald On This Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

laramsoriginal

Starter
The rams have MAJOR needs at OG, Safety, CB, and OT. Selecting the best player available (other than the positions mentioned) when you have significant holes will prove to be a disaster for the rams. It would be silly to draft Donald or any other DT in the first round when the Rams cannot protect their QB or constantly have trouble creating holes for Stacy. And LOL at even having this argument when Donald will not go in round 1, he is listed on most boards as the 5th best DT. He is not worthy of a 1st round pick. Besides, the rams don't have a need for a DT. Taking any DT before drafting a OG, CB, Safety would be silly.

I noticed some of you guys have fallen in love with Donald so If Donald is still available after the rams have addressed the gigantic holes on the OL and in the Secondary, then I would not mind the Rams taking him. He would be a good situational DT.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We have the 13th pick. It moves in the opposite direction, my friend. You move up 1 slot each round with the teams with the same record as you.

It was explained on another site that because we pick last of the four teams we are tied with, we pick first among them in the 2nd, then we move down in subsequent rounds. Just going by what I read and it made sense. If that's not true, I guess I'm a little pissed then.

Alan

Legend
When you tie with 4 teams, the team that picked last in the 1st round picks first among those teams in the second round. The team that picked first in the 1st round picks last in the 2nd round. The team that picked third in the 1st round picks second in the 2nd round. The team that picks second in the 1st round picks third in the 2nd round. The rotation continues like that in the subsequent rounds.

We have the 10th pick in the 2nd round. The 11th pick in the 3rd round. the 12 pick in the 4th round and the 13th pick in the 5th round. We have the 10th pick in the 6th round and the 11th pick in the 7th round.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
"Alan, hopefully dead on balls accurate"]When you tie with 4 teams, the team that picked last in the 1st round picks first among those teams in the second round. The team that picked first in the 1st round picks last in the 2nd round. The team that picked third in the 1st round picks second in the 2nd round. The team that picks second in the 1st round picks third in the 2nd round. The rotation continues like that in the subsequent rounds.

We have the 10th pick in the 2nd round. The 11th pick in the 3rd round. the 12 pick in the 4th round and the 13th pick in the 5th round. We have the 10th pick in the 6th round and the 11th pick in the 7th round.
That's what I had read.

Alan

Legend
It's a damn good thing I wrote that a couple of minutes ago because I sure couldn't do it now. :rofl:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The rams have MAJOR needs at OG, Safety, CB, and OT. Selecting the best player available (other than the positions mentioned) when you have significant holes will prove to be a disaster for the rams. It would be silly to draft Donald or any other DT in the first round when the Rams cannot protect their QB or constantly have trouble creating holes for Stacy. And LOL at even having this argument when Donald will not go in round 1, he is listed on most boards as the 5th best DT. He is not worthy of a 1st round pick. Besides, the rams don't have a need for a DT. Taking any DT before drafting a OG, CB, Safety would be silly.

I noticed some of you guys have fallen in love with Donald so If Donald is still available after the rams have addressed the gigantic holes on the OL and in the Secondary, then I would not mind the Rams taking him. He would be a good situational DT.

The only "MAJOR" position I agree with you on is guard, and I'm not taking any of the guards in this draft in the 1st round. Especially not at 13th overall. The Rams drafted your way for the past decade btw. How did that work out for us? In fact, the only time they didn't, was when they took Steven Jackson.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you tie with 4 teams, the team that picked last in the 1st round picks first among those teams in the second round. The team that picked first in the 1st round picks last in the 2nd round. The team that picked third in the 1st round picks second in the 2nd round. The team that picks second in the 1st round picks third in the 2nd round. The rotation continues like that in the subsequent rounds.

It was explained on another site that because we pick last of the four teams we are tied with, we pick first among them in the 2nd, then we move down in subsequent rounds. Just going by what I read and it made sense. If that's not true, I guess I'm a little pissed then.

I promise you guys, this is how it's worked in the past:
Round 1 - Pick #13
Round 2 - Pick #12
Round 3 - Pick #11
Round 4 - Pick #10
Round 5 - Pick #13
Round 6 - Pick #12
Round 7 - Pick #11

You jump up 1 slot each round with the teams you're tied with until you get to the top slot then you drop down to the last one.

This will illustrate that:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000143400/article/2013-nfl-draft-order
Draft Order from last year. Panthers go from 14th to 13th to 12th to 11th to 15th.

Alan

Legend
If you think about it jrry, which way is the fairest to all the teams. Yours would really screw the Rams. The league rules are voted on by the owners and no one wants to get screwed.

Plus I read that too. Might have been PFT.

Or I'm full of it. I'll try and find out more tomorrow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you think about it jrry, which way is the fairest to all the teams. Yours would really screw the Rams. The league rules are voted on by the owners and no one wants to get screwed.

Plus I read that too. Might have been PFT.

Or I'm full of it. I'll try and find out more tomorrow.

I promise you, my friend. That's how they do it. You move up 1 slot each round until you get to the top slot of the teams with the same record then you drop to the last slot.

Alan

Legend
My wife just told me yesterday that I was full of it.

Still going to look into it tomorrow though.

Plus I don't see the logic of that so it's interesting.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd rather have Hageman than Donald. He'd be a liabilty in run situations.

I want them both. Hageman will be a first rounder, maybe the first DT taken, that does not mean he wont be there at 13. I think Donald will slide to late first round or even mid second round because of his size limitations. GMs are prone to taking wild gambles with first round picks or playing it safe (more times than not). I think every GM would like to have a guy with Donalds' kind of proven play making ability, but, the size issue is going really factor where he is taken. I dont think he is taken in the first round at all. If he fails a GM isent going to want to hear about how he took a sub 6' DT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My wife just told me yesterday that I was full of it.

Still going to look into it tomorrow though.

Plus I don't see the logic of that so it's interesting.

If she hasn't told you it today, you're obviously doing something right. :wink:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I promise you guys, this is how it's worked in the past:
Round 1 - Pick #13
Round 2 - Pick #12
Round 3 - Pick #11
Round 4 - Pick #10
Round 5 - Pick #13
Round 6 - Pick #12
Round 7 - Pick #11

You jump up 1 slot each round with the teams you're tied with until you get to the top slot then you drop down to the last one.

This will illustrate that:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000143400/article/2013-nfl-draft-order
Draft Order from last year. Panthers go from 14th to 13th to 12th to 11th to 15th.
You may be right. I'm just going by what I've read. You obviously spend a lot more time on this and for that (among other things) I really appreciate your input. I can't pretend to tell you you're wrong. I hope you're wrong but I'm guessing you know your shit by what I've seen you post. I've seen it posted both ways so I HOPE I'm right. Either way - it is what it is. Again - hope you're wrong. :heh:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I only watched the first half of the FSU game, and the impression I got was that I came away impressed with the LOG of FSU

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Again, who did he play? Miami, USF, Virginia were his best competition? He did not look special in that FSU clip you posted. I think he ends up being average against NFL offensive linemen. Once someone gets their hands on him he is neutralized most of the time.

fearsomefour

Legend

A lot of this depends on FA. I dont see CB as a bigger need than DT. We have our starters there, same as DT. The difference is the Dline and front seven as a whole has a real chance of being very dominant. What is missing to me is a difference maker DT next to Brockers. If a guy like that is available with the 13th pick I would take him over a CB every day with this team. There is a very real argument to be made that adding quality at DT will go just as far or further to helping the CB play than adding a guy that could very easily end up a nickle back.

laramsoriginal

Starter
The rams need to add talent to the secondary, including CB.
You can always add a smaller pass rushing DT in the 3rd or 4th round. It would be wasting a top 15 pick by taking a DT that is a situational type player. When the rams trade down, if the top CB in the entire draft is available, draft said CB. Donald was very good in college but will struggle in the NFL. CB/Safety are greater concerns for the rams than a DT that is not needed to start