Camp Report 8/14/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Thank you, Coach!

That 3-2-6 sounds interesting with that personnel grouping.

Lots of different combinations of 3 man lines you could run out there that could still get some pressure and a lot of guys on the back end that could be pretty effective in a blitz situation.

I know that I am focusing on a small fraction (3 snaps) of the report, but it's an interesting grouping.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Thank you, Coach!

Lots of different combinations of 3 man lines you could run out there that could still get some pressure and a lot of guys on the back end that could be pretty effective in a blitz situation.

I know that I am focusing on a small fraction (3 snaps) of the report, but it's an interesting grouping.
They could even run a 3-4 defense if they really wanted to, they have the personnel to pull it off.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
No comment as to who he may have been looking at.LOL

I figured the Westbrooks note would get some attention... but before everyone starts hyperventilating over it.... It doesnt appear to be more than a rotation thing, and has more to do with Hayes not practicing. Sam has taken more practice reps than any other D-lineman since camp has started. Since Hayes has missed so much of camp, Sam has doubled up since day one. He definitely looks like he has "camp legs".

Westbrooks, on the other hand, has now finished his 6th full practice, and should be well rested. So, it makes sense to get him caught up with the extra reps.
Honestly, I don't get to overworked about which players are working with which unit. I think a lot of times you see some guys getting different unit work simply to see how they respond to more talented opposition...or how they respond to heavier work load...or a lot of things.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Robinson is working exclusively at LG, with Long being back, and taking all the LT reps. For the moment, the ONLY starter not practicing Saffold, with Joseph taking all the RG reps.

Emory Blake has a couple nice catches, and seems to be separating himself from the next group of WRs.

D'Marco Farr about a week back said he sees Joseph and Saffold as almost interchangeable at this point. That with Saffold in it's 1A, Joseph 1B. What do you think, Coach? Is there any drop off between the two?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
They could even run a 3-4 defense if they really wanted to, they have the personnel to pull it off.

Maybe as a novelty here and there - but this team was built for a base 4-3.

I certainly want Quinn moving forward on every play. Not that he couldn't play 5 technique but you probably would want him at rush OLB in a 3-4 and that would be a waste to see him ever drop into coverage.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Yeah I mean that as a novelty defensive switch up to give different looks.
Maybe something like long brockers donald with quinn laurinaitis dunbar and ogletree.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
D'Marco Farr about a week back said he sees Joseph and Saffold as almost interchangeable at this point. That with Saffold in it's 1A, Joseph 1B. What do you think, Coach? Is there any drop off between the two?

As much as I love the Joseph acquisition, when Saffold is in there, this unit has the potential to have an overpowering running game. Joseph has been good, Saffold could be special.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yeah I mean that as a novelty defensive switch up to give different looks.
Maybe something like long brockers donald with quinn laurinaitis dunbar and ogletree.

They have a package that they call "30 Nickel" which basically is a 3 man front, 3 LBs and an extra DB. But you aren't likely to see a 3-4 personnel grouping. Just doesn't fit the personnel here.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thank you again for another great camp report, Coach0. Couple of questions as usual. Is there a second unit for kickoff coverage? Any clue what is wrong with Hayes?Did Rhaney's injury appear serious? Really excited to see what the adjustments will be and just the commitment to tackling for this next game. I'm expecting/hoping Aaron Rodgers is given pure hell Saturday night. I've seen a lot of players have their best practices when there father comes... Hopefully Bates can make the PS one more year....I thought McLeod played a pretty good game last week (for him). Not perfect, but he was very active, and was showing up around all those breakaway runs...I think all the competition out there has been good for him. He was a favorite of mine in 2012.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thank you again for another great camp report, Coach0. Couple of questions as usual. Is there a second unit for kickoff coverage? Any clue what is wrong with Hayes?Did Rhaney's injury appear serious? Really excited to see what the adjustments will be and just the commitment to tackling for this next game. I'm expecting/hoping Aaron Rodgers is given pure hell Saturday night. I've seen a lot of players have their best practices when there father comes... Hopefully Bates can make the PS one more year....I thought McLeod played a pretty good game last week (for him). Not perfect, but he was very active, and was showing up around all those breakaway runs...I think all the competition out there has been good for him. He was a favorite of mine in 2012.

I think with Hayes, they are just taking things slow with him, like they are with a few of the other guys. He apparently had some neck and shoulder issues taken care of in the off season, and with him being a veteran, he doesn't need the same time and reps to be ready for Sept. 7th. Now if he doesn't start working his back into a regular rotation in the next week or so, then there may be more to it than that.

They do have a 2nd unit for kickoff coverage, but honestly, it changes practice to practice, with all the players sitting out. It's difficult to even chart it. My suggestion is to keep an eye on the telecast tomorrow, to get a better idea of who it is THIS week.

Rhaney suffered a knee strain, and according to Fisher's post-practice comments, it isn't as serious as they thought. An MRI is scheduled. My guess is he won't be playing tomorrow. Don't be surprised to see Mike Person getting more than a few token reps at Center in tomorrow's game.

McLeod looks to be coming on. He is more often than not, in the single high safety position, and has showed to be quite comfortable, and is reading routes and making breaks on balls in the air. Again, he just needs to clean up his tackling, and I think people may be pleasantly surprised.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As much as I love the Joseph acquisition, when Saffold is in there, this unit has the potential to have an overpowering running game. Joseph has been good, Saffold could be special.
I like the Joseph pick up as well.How good is Robinson going to be ? There is no way he sits ?

-The most disappointing thing to me this training camp is B. Jones & B. Washington both being hurt.What a drop off with some of this young offensive lineman.I love players getting there chances,just wish I could have seen how B.Washington would have looked.My guess is he gets cut. It just shows what a huge pick up Joseph was for the depth chart & all/pro experience in the film room.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You did see how many missed tackles Armstrong had,didn't you ?? He was in the right spot for a couple excellent plays that ended up huge for the Saints.--Mcloud vs Mo. Alexander is no comparison.He is still real raw.
Coach O talked about a 3-2-6 formation with Alexander playing more of a LBer.He is more of a twinned at this point & needs more experience at DB. Both player have talent just not there yet.
Rams would be in a lot of trouble if JL#55 is injured for any length.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
The secondary is not gonna be as much of an issue as many think it will. Again, barring any major or widespread injuries, the top 4 CBs are gonna be fine, as will the top 3 Safeties.

Have you seen enough of C.Bryant to know if he can compete with Daniels for the 5th safety spot?

Thanks again for the great reports!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Thank you, Coach!

I agree, I actually see this formation being effective against a read option. Short passing routes are clutters in this formation and you can shoot players like Joyner, Ogletree and McDonald specifically to support the run. The QB read is going to change on every play which will cause confusion and its not really a liability against the run as you would think in a run option because it will require lineman to make blocks in space which could be a challenge. Seems like an interesting formation against Seattle and SF.