Camp Report 8/12/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
River's plays for the Jags...Leo position....Is this a trick question? :sneaky:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cutting talented players is a good problem to have. It's not something we Rams fans are use to dealing with.
Also. I think fans tend to get attached to the players. As difficult it is for the fans to let go, it has to be even tougher on the coaches.

Many of our past cuts are no longer in football. (That goes for most of our past starters, as well)
I think teams are watching to see who we'll be letting go this year.

Definitely understand the "diamond in the rough" analogy. There is something exciting about finding that 1 great player every other team passed on.

I totally understand that. But for me, I would rather keep the better players, based on who performs. This team is already very young and inexperienced, at some point, I would like to see some of the guys given the chance to develop. The turnover was necessary in the first 2 years. Now they need to let the guys brought in be allowed to gain some experience and grow together.

If there is a diamond in the rough, that is a definite upgrade, then great. But those guys are becoming harder to find, with regards to the players already here.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I totally understand that. But for me, I would rather keep the better players, based on who performs. This team is already very young and inexperienced, at some point, I would like to see some of the guys given the chance to develop. The turnover was necessary in the first 2 years. Now they need to let the guys brought in be allowed to gain some experience and grow together.

If there is a diamond in the rough, that is a definite upgrade, then great. But those guys are becoming harder to find, with regards to the players already here.[/QUOTE?

Absolutely agree.
Many seem to grade players on a "curve". Generally based on draft order.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

If there is a diamond in the rough, that is a definite upgrade, then great. But those guys are becoming harder to find, with regards to the players already here.

A good indicator to how strong your roster is becoming is whether or not the players you cut are picked up by other teams. When your trash starts becoming someone else's treasure, then things moving in the right direction. When nobody is picking up the players cut by your team and you're combing the waiver wires for improvements, most likely a long season lies ahead. Going to be interesting to see where some of the current 90 man roster ends up.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
River's plays for the Jags...Leo position....Is this a trick question? :sneaky:
no, wasn't a trick question,, I stopped caring about his career path the minute he was picked off the Rams PS.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

So, I'm watching the replay, seeing some good things....Woodyard, he's looking like he makes it, only one game but I see the grit, the determination...He'll stick his nose in there...But something about Roberson..... JJ, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines, McGee...You're taking Woodyard over Roberson? I see some upside as a press corner/coverman, and let him add some strength in the weight room. What say you coach? Oh, PFF has Roberson rated a lil higher too!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Isn't Person a little on the Small side to play OLT? Do you think he is a better fit at Center? Could he be better than Barnes in time?

Maybe getting Person some time at Center is in reaction to Barrett Jones being injured and not looking that good in camp overall?

We has a discussion about this well over a year ago dealing with the prototype OLT in today's NFL vs the Orlando Pace 6-7 330 pound days.... It was said by many of our members that many of the RDE were trending towards the smaller condense quicker types vs the 300 pounders. RDE Robert Quinn is 6-4 260 pounder.

The need for a OLT to be the extra long tall big OLT may have changed. The smooth footwork & the ability to remain in position by the smaller OT was the trending neutralizer. Rams would seem to have the larger types on the roster now....GR 6-5 330, JL 6-7 322 & RS 6-5 332. Person is on the small size 6-4 300. Person did showcase some quick smooth footwork last Friday night.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So, I'm watching the replay, seeing some good things....Woodyard, he's looking like he makes it, only one game but I see the grit, the determination...He'll stick his nose in there...But something about Roberson..... JJ, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines, McGee...You're taking Woodyard over Roberson? I see some upside as a press corner/coverman, and let him add some strength in the weight room. What say you coach? Oh, PFF has Roberson rated a lil higher too!

I have no problem with Roberson taking a year to add some strength, ON THE PRACTICE SQUAD. and blue font or not..... enough with the effing PFF rankings already.

And who is this Woodyard? if you mean Darren WOODARD, then yes, I think he is ahead of Roberson, Reid & J. Bryant

Last edited: