Camp Report 8/12/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tweed335

UDFA
He's been getting those reps all thru camp.

So Coach, what's your eval on Robinson's pass pro skills?

I love hearing he's solid in the run, as I'm sure that's why he's there at guard as a rook. I'm just worried about A gap blitzes and recognizing and picking up stunts in the pass game, albeit as a rookie.

Alan

Legend
Tweed335 missing my joke:
Huh? :confused:
You've lost me :whistle:
You were asking if he'd forget what PBU meant after having had so many tell him and I was pretending like I'd already forgotten what it meant and what we were even talking about. You'd have to be wicked old like me to understand. Once you get old enough to start losing your memory you'll understand. Of course you won't remember it. :ROFLMAO:

Tweed335

UDFA
You were asking if he'd forget what PBU meant after having had so many tell him and I was pretending like I'd already forgotten what it meant and what we were even talking about. You'd have to be wicked old like me to understand. Once you get old enough to start losing your memory you'll understand. Of course you won't remember it. :ROFLMAO:

I know, I was pretending the same thing, as if I had forgotten the whole subject of the post. My bad, sometimes my jokes are more funny to me. But jokes are always less funny when you have to explain them haha.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
CoachO -

Looking at the depth chart you listed -- Does that mean that Jake Long is taking all of the first unit reps at Lt now? How has he looked on his surgically repaired knee? To me he is the key piece in regards to the O-line coming together and being whole.

Also thanks for all of the reports and insights, love to read them here in Raleigh, NC

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO -

Looking at the depth chart you listed -- Does that mean that Jake Long is taking all of the first unit reps at Lt now? How has he looked on his surgically repaired knee? To me he is the key piece in regards to the O-line coming together and being whole.

Also thanks for all of the reports and insights, love to read them here in Raleigh, NC

In the past two days, both Long and Scott Wells have taken virtually all of the 1st unit reps. This includes extended work in the run blocking drill yesterday. He looks no worse for wear. There is still some timing issues in his sets, but the knee doesn't look to be an issue at all.

I expect that he and Wells both will play some this weekend.

The other thing that needs to be pointed out, Scott Wells wasn't experiencing any lingering effects from his previous leg injuries. He contracted an illness before training camp, and needed time to get physically stronger. I only point this out, because I know most people think he is just one more injury waiting to happen.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Wells has been pretty goid when he is healthy but we have yet to see a full season from him. Heres to hoping this year is the first.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Wells has been pretty goid when he is healthy but we have yet to see a full season from him. Heres to hoping this year is the first.

I agree, and I think having his presence between Robinson and Saffold will be huge. I think those big bodies, will go a long way in alleviating some of the pressure Wells has to deal with from a purely physical standpoint. Letting Robinson settle in between Wells AND Long will do wonders for settling him down, and making sure he knows what his assignment is.

Not saying it's certain that it would have made a difference, but the miscommunication between Robinson and Barnes on Friday night, probably doesn't happen with Wells in there.

JS-Hawkeye

UDFA
Name
JS
Thx for the great report as always. Did you get a chance to observe LB, Schiller? He's my nephew, but I will appreciate your honesty

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thx for the great report as always. Did you get a chance to observe LB, Schiller? He's my nephew, but I will appreciate your honesty

He's getting reps at MLB with the 3rd unit defense. Missed some time last week, but has been back out on the practice field this week. Almost came up with an INT of a deflected pass yesterday in team drills. Long shot at best, best hope is PS consideration.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
He's on the outside in the "regular" set, and moves into the slot when they go to the Nickel (with the 2nd unit).

Not to hijack the thread - but talk me thru this a bit if you don't mind.

I know Joyner is playing in the slot with the 1s - as was the plan when he was drafted. He isn't getting any looks outside is he?

Who else is getting looks in the slot ? Is McGee? I know McCleod covers the slot as a safety, but they aren't bringing in a 3rd safety and moving him to the nickel back on those occasions, are they?

The reason I ask is this .....

We have seen on the O line an emphasis on versatility and getting the best 5 players on the field. Is the secondary somewhat similar or even more specialized?

Reasonably safe to say that at this point, our best 5 DBs are Tru, JJ, Joyner, McD, and McC.

Who is the next man up at corner? Does it depend on who goes down? Is it McGee if an outside corner goes down and Gaines if it's in the slot?

You were talking in another thread about McDonald and Alexander playing the same position - that they never see the field together. I wonder if that is just a developmental choice - not to give Alexander too much to learn at once.

PhxRam

I know, I was pretending the same thing, as if I had forgotten the whole subject of the post. My bad, sometimes my jokes are more funny to me. But jokes are always less funny when you have to explain them haha.

You can reuse jokes on him all the time. He will be none the wiser.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not to hijack the thread - but talk me thru this a bit if you don't mind.

I know Joyner is playing in the slot with the 1s - as was the plan when he was drafted. He isn't getting any looks outside is he?

Who else is getting looks in the slot ? Is McGee? I know McCleod covers the slot as a safety, but they aren't bringing in a 3rd safety and moving him to the nickel back on those occasions, are they?

The reason I ask is this .....

We have seen on the O line an emphasis on versatility and getting the best 5 players on the field. Is the secondary somewhat similar or even more specialized?

Reasonably safe to say that at this point, our best 5 DBs are Tru, JJ, Joyner, McD, and McC.

Who is the next man up at corner? Does it depend on who goes down? Is it McGee if an outside corner goes down and Gaines if it's in the slot?

You were talking in another thread about McDonald and Alexander playing the same position - that they never see the field together. I wonder if that is just a developmental choice - not to give Alexander too much to learn at once.

Addressing your last comment first. OR maybe its because Alexander just isn't good enough to warrant any more than that. Not sure why it seems a lot of people want to fit a square peg into a round hole with this guy. He is just too raw to even be considered much more than what he is at this point. His skill set is NOT that of a FS, and neither is McDonald's. They are virtually clones of one another, with TJ being way more polished in his game.

Now on to the Joyner, McGee and Gaines topic:

I think way too much is made of who is playing where on any particular day, especially when you have multiple CBs not practicing. McGee has missed the majority of practices the past week, didn't play in the game Friday, and is just now returning to the practice field. So to really try to gauge a true depth chart is virtually impossible.

That being said, Joyner is getting the majority of his reps at the Nickel spot. As I mentioned in a earlier post, there are instances where he stays on the field with McDonald coming off, if the offensive personnel dictates it. For example an extra TE is lined up in the slot. Again, I am not reading a whole lot into this, except to work on Joyner's cover skills against bigger receivers.

Now that McGee is practicing, he took the 1st team reps opposite Johnson, at CB. With Joyner coming in at Nickel.

Gaines is lined up outside in the "regular" sets with the 2nd unit, and slides inside to Nickel when needed. These are the ONLY TWO guys at this point working at the Nickel position, and I don't see that changing. That includes McLeod NOT taking a single rep at Nickel.

If I were to put a true Depth Chart together, assuming EVERYONE is back and healthy, it would be Jenkins and Johnson, at CB, with Joyner as the Nickel.
2nd Unit would be McGee and Gaines at the CB, with Gaines sliding to the Nickel and at this point, Woodard coming in as the next CB.

That leaves Roberson, Reid and Jarrod Bryant. (in that order)

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This team has the look of a team who needs to be playing someone else. And they are missing some key veterans to keep them focused on the task at hand. (Laurinaitis, Brockers, Jenkins, Saffold)

Have the Rams talked about a joint practice vs a preseason opponent this year? I love what New England is doing last week with Washington and now this week with Philadelphia this week. They are practicing against each other all week then playing the pre season game. Hearing interviews with the players they are getting double the reps they would if it was a team practice. Seems like a good idea, has there been any conversation with the Rams doing this?