Cam Newton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does everyone keep saying generational talent. He hasnt been a top 10 QB since 2013. He is an "okay" talent. He had a stud WR Steve Smith in his early days and thats probably when he was "good"
Because it’s true.
He had Steve Smith at the end of his career and Smith was long gone when Cam had his best season, 35 passing TD and 10 rushing TD, while leading Carolina to a 15-1 record and a SB appearance. Not a single decent WR on that team.
Threw for over 400 in his first 2 games, never been done before.
It’s cool if you dislike him, but at least give credit where due.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prob here is he's in year two with Norv Turner now. Norv isn't McVay, but he's very sound and has a deep understanding of how to use defensive rules against them. And under Norv (who was a great hire IMO) Cam hasn't really grown at all as a QB.
Seriously? Cam completed 68% of his passes in 2018 (previous high was 61.7) and tied his 2nd highest season total for TD passes in only 14 games, and played his last couple games with the shoulder injury that required surgery. He definitely showed improvement in Norv system, crazy to think what he could have been had he had that type of coaching thru his career.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Seriously? Cam completed 68% of his passes in 2018 (previous high was 61.7) and tied his 2nd highest season total for TD passes in only 14 games, and played his last couple games with the shoulder injury that required surgery. He definitely showed improvement in Norv system, crazy to think what he could have been had he had that type of coaching thru his career.
When they hired Norv I expected him to finally live up to his talent. Completion went up, and that's cool, but IMO that was Cam's chance to show he can transition to a pocket QB.

At this point if I were the Panthers I'd rebuild around someone else.

Hobgoblin

Rookie
Because it’s true.
He had Steve Smith at the end of his career and Smith was long gone when Cam had his best season, 35 passing TD and 10 rushing TD, while leading Carolina to a 15-1 record and a SB appearance. Not a single decent WR on that team.
Threw for over 400 in his first 2 games, never been done before.
It’s cool if you dislike him, but at least give credit where due.

I like him as a player. He used to have the carry my team attitude but that seems long gone.

His stats don’t help the generational talent argument. Over 60% completion....Alex Smith has that and 3 mvps and more yards and TDs and I wouldn’t put A.Smith up there either.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I didn't watch the video but how many questions can they ask about Newton? Stupid reporters.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cant really disagree with a lot of this, basically is saying what I'm saying. Its a waste of his ability that he didn't have better coaching

I think you give Cam too much credit. Inaccuracy, and quick mental processing have nothing to do with having or not having weapons. He leads the league in most uncatchable passes. Carolina has had consistently good Olines over the years. Being an amazing physical specimen and being a generational talent as a QB are two entirely different things.

MolaRam

UDFA
My brother, who is a Panthers fan, sent me this angry message last week, with the included pic.
I think he's had enough, LOL.

"THIS is OUR quarterback!!!

He's OURS!!! You can't have him!!!

You wish he could be YOUR quarterback, but no, HE'S OURS!!!

I mean, What-the-ever-loving FUCK!!!! If he put HALF the thought and effort into playing football that he puts into his wardrobe and Cam the Brand, we'd have five Super Bowl rings by now!"

babushka.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His stats don’t help the generational talent argument. Over 60% completion....Alex Smith has that and 3 mvps and more yards and TDs and I wouldn’t put A.Smith up there either.
Well, that's been my point. Generational talent cant do it on its own. Look at an Alex Smith, garbage player until he gets with Harbaugh, then Andy Reid and becomes a very good player. Imagine what Cam could have been with the same advantage?
Wasted talent.

On a side note, when did Alex Smith win 3 MVPS?

Hobgoblin

Rookie
Well, that's been my point. Generational talent cant do it on its own. Look at an Alex Smith, garbage player until he gets with Harbaugh, then Andy Reid and becomes a very good player. Imagine what Cam could have been with the same advantage?
Wasted talent.

My bad x3 pro bowls lol misspoke. My argument is I think they were both middling QB. I wouldnt trade Goff for either even in their primes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wasted talent.

I'd call Mahomes a generational talent. Newton never played as well as Mahomes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My bad x3 pro bowls lol misspoke. My argument is I think they were both middling QB. I wouldnt trade Goff for either even in their primes.
Goff has nothing to do with it. Cam has never been middling, that’s silly. Was he middling in 2015?
Cam has done what he’s done with little supporting talent and mediocre at best coaching. That’s my point. Again and again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He leads the league in most unwatchable passes. He’s in no way great. Mahomes has a photographic memory too. He studies the game all the time, while Cam studies fashion magazines.
Ok so you’re turning this in to an argument that I never made. Well done.
I get it, you don’t like his personality. I was talking about his football ability.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ok so you’re turning this in to an argument that I never made. Well done.
I get it, you don’t like his personality. I was talking about his football ability.

He doesn’t work at and never proved he was a generational talent. He is a great athlete but a generational talent has the brain to go with it.

He’s never lived up to the hype. He’s never done anything in any season for me to even put him in the top ten of QBs.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
He doesn’t work at and never proved he was a generational talent. He is a great athlete but a generational talent has the brain to go with it.

He’s never lived up to the hype. He’s never done anything in any season for me to even put him in the top ten of QBs.
Or anywhere near so far as I'm concerned.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's never a good look for a HC.
I'd rather have that HC than an idiot who sat up there continually saying the same thing over and over when reporters are too stupid to understand what "we'll have more info tomorrow" means.