C Garrett Bradbury NC State

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He would be affordable, he's versatile, the Rams have wanted him in the past, and he looked good when he had Kromer as his coach.

i get all that but people here overrated him imo. The team just lost Saffold, is likely losing Whitworth soon. Blythe was exposed. They have Allen and Noteboom to cover Possibly four positions soon. Groy is a good back up. They say they like Allen. I don't think they like him as much as they imply. Maybe he just needed Kromer's coaching, but I never saw anything special in him at college.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i get all that but people here overrated him imo. The team just lost Saffold, is likely losing Whitworth soon. Blythe was exposed. They have Allen and Noteboom to cover Possibly four positions soon. Groy is a good back up. They say they like Allen. I don't think they like him as much as they imply. Maybe he just needed Kromer's coaching, but I never saw anything special in him at college.

Oh, they'll take OL in the draft - I just doubt a first round center though. They have hard choices - which we all knew would be the case when they traded a 2nd for Watkins, then a first for Cooks (and gave him a big extension) then a 2nd for Peters (with him a free agent after 2019) and big contracts to Gurley and Donald (with Donald having a cap hit of over $52 million over the 2020-2021 period). All that means is that the Rams were going to have to take risks elsewhere - and if they like Allen even if he was a 4th round pick, they will ride him until they decide otherwise. Their only sort of high pick they will need to use to fill other holes. We all knew there would be hard choices to make when they traded so many picks and signed multiple record contracts. So it'll be Allen with an OG/C free agent or draft pick to back him up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams will go with Allen at OC so Bradbury would be overkill. They do need depth so expect later round pick(s) for the offensive line and maybe a value veteran signing.

What the Rams need at iOL is competition. It's not a question of whether they like Boom & Allen, I absolutely know they do based on the way they just executed a Super Bowl season with those two as their primary depth options. That speaks volumes, as does their lack of interest in overrated FA depth options like Groy.

But that competition is important, as is depth when it comes to protecting our QB and our entire offense functioning at the expected level. So if they find themselves looking at Bradbury at 31 (which is very possible IMO given that he's a zone fit and there are other OL who will probably grade above him for a lot of teams), taking him allows for competition at Center or OG. McCoy achieves the same thing, btw, even though he's not going to be as high on the board as Bradbury.

So even if they address OL in round 1 they aren't done with the OL. They'll still add probably another option in round 3 or 4. I think we will see 2 added in this draft at a minimum.

Ram65

Legend
What the Rams need at iOL is competition. It's not a question of whether they like Boom & Allen, I absolutely know they do based on the way they just executed a Super Bowl season with those two as their primary depth options. That speaks volumes, as does their lack of interest in overrated FA depth options like Groy.

But that competition is important, as is depth when it comes to protecting our QB and our entire offense functioning at the expected level. So if they find themselves looking at Bradbury at 31 (which is very possible IMO given that he's a zone fit and there are other OL who will probably grade above him for a lot of teams), taking him allows for competition at Center or OG. McCoy achieves the same thing, btw, even though he's not going to be as high on the board as Bradbury.

So even if they address OL in round 1 they aren't done with the OL. They'll still add probably another option in round 3 or 4. I think we will see 2 added in this draft at a minimum.

I agree here with @Akrasian that the Rams need an OG/OT that replaces Boom as a backup over another OC.
They strongly need a Guard - or a tackle who can play guard.

Competition is great but, with limited resources I would be shocked if the Rams go Bradbury. Again the big A gives a great explanation here.

Oh, they'll take OL in the draft - I just doubt a first round center though. They have hard choices - which we all knew would be the case when they traded a 2nd for Watkins, then a first for Cooks (and gave him a big extension) then a 2nd for Peters (with him a free agent after 2019) and big contracts to Gurley and Donald (with Donald having a cap hit of over $52 million over the 2020-2021 period). All that means is that the Rams were going to have to take risks elsewhere - and if they like Allen even if he was a 4th round pick, they will ride him until they decide otherwise. Their only sort of high pick they will need to use to fill other holes. We all knew there would be hard choices to make when they traded so many picks and signed multiple record contracts. So it'll be Allen with an OG/C free agent or draft pick to back him up.

It was a surprise that the Rams went offensive line with picks one and two last year. After letting it sink in the picks made sense for the future which is now 2019. I expect the Rams to continue to find offensive lineman later in the draft. Anything is possible when it comes to the Rams draft. The indicators are pointing me in another direction from OC Bradbury with the Rams first round pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree here with @Akrasian that the Rams need an OG/OT that replaces Boom as a backup over another OC.

So do I. But the Rams are probably going to do a BPA approach here and a lot of these guys offer some flexibility.

Which means if an OT like Risner falls to them, he might be the pick. They don't need OT, and he's not a LT type, but he could be moved inside to OG.

Or they go with one of those two ZBS Center types and then you have whoever loses at Center competing at OG.

Or they get Lawrence (which I think would be ideal obviously) at 31 and then snap up a couple guys among their next several picks. There's a lot of ways they can play this depending on where the quality is on the board, to include a move down. OL is definitely a possibility at 31 IMO.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So do I. But the Rams are probably going to do a BPA approach here and a lot of these guys offer some flexibility.

Which means if an OT like Risner falls to them, he might be the pick. They don't need OT, and he's not a LT type, but he could be moved inside to OG.

Or they go with one of those two ZBS Center types and then you have whoever loses at Center competing at OG.

Or they get Lawrence (which I think would be ideal obviously) at 31 and then snap up a couple guys among their next several picks. There's a lot of ways they can play this depending on where the quality is on the board, to include a move down. OL is definitely a possibility at 31 IMO.

Definitely. They need a versatile OT/OG type - somebody who can be a good guard in 2020 if Noteboom has to slide over to replace Whit, or if Blythe isn't resigned. And later in the draft I could see them taking a guard who can also play center, but with more of the emphasis on him being a decent starting guard candidate. Just they don't have the picks to spend on a primarily center candidate if they like Allen. Since the Rams prefer to have 7 OL active on game day, they need somebody who can play a respectable tackle, as well as guard. They have Blythe to backup center if need be, so a good backup guard is needed, though versatility is always nice.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Definitely. They need a versatile OT/OG type - somebody who can be a good guard in 2020 if Noteboom has to slide over to replace Whit, or if Blythe isn't resigned. .

1. Erik McCoy Texas A&M
  2. Michael Jordan Ohio State
  3. Nate Davis Charlotte
They had McCoy in for an interview.

Overview
Teams typically hunt for centers with the traits to withstand power or athleticism depending on their divisional competition. McCoy comes gift-wrapped in a thick, strong frame and proved he could hold up to both power (Dexter Lawrence) and athleticism (Quinnen Williams). He has some limitations in space, but he possesses more than enough body control and agility to compete on work-ups and cut-off blocks. With his ability match against base and sub-packages, McCoy could carry Day 2 draft value as a future starter.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/erik-mccoy?id=32194d43-4360-1333-481d-eca6355623f4

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  1. Erik McCoy Texas A&M
  2. Michael Jordan Ohio State
  3. Nate Davis Charlotte
They had McCoy in for an interview.

Overview
Teams typically hunt for centers with the traits to withstand power or athleticism depending on their divisional competition. McCoy comes gift-wrapped in a thick, strong frame and proved he could hold up to both power (Dexter Lawrence) and athleticism (Quinnen Williams). He has some limitations in space, but he possesses more than enough body control and agility to compete on work-ups and cut-off blocks. With his ability match against base and sub-packages, McCoy could carry Day 2 draft value as a future starter.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/erik-mccoy?id=32194d43-4360-1333-481d-eca6355623f4

Agreed on McCoy.

And I think in many ways the Rams have been transitioning their OL towards the preferred zone scheme. It's why they made the moves they did in the past year, from drafting those two depth OL who are expected to win jobs, to letting a power blocker like Brown go in favor of a smaller guy who is a better fit for the desired scheme in Blythe. Pass blocking factors in here too of course, but if you look at where they want to go, it's that old Denver run scheme that favors the right guys.

I don't see either McCoy or Bradbury having problems transitioning to OG. Both move well, have good technique, and will be able to pull or get quickly to the second level. Rams are going to bring in a couple guys like them in this draft, good technique types who have some mobility and toughness. And if they can get all 5 on the same page I think it's possible our run game can improve in terms of being able to dictate the way that old undersized Denver line did, minus the over-focus on chop blocks lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Definitely. They need a versatile OT/OG type - somebody who can be a good guard in 2020 if Noteboom has to slide over to replace Whit, or if Blythe isn't resigned. And later in the draft I could see them taking a guard who can also play center, but with more of the emphasis on him being a decent starting guard candidate. Just they don't have the picks to spend on a primarily center candidate if they like Allen. Since the Rams prefer to have 7 OL active on game day, they need somebody who can play a respectable tackle, as well as guard. They have Blythe to backup center if need be, so a good backup guard is needed, though versatility is always nice.

And if the y draft a Center both Blythe and Allen could play guard. It's not limited to taking a guard.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if the y draft a Center both Blythe and Allen could play guard. It's not limited to taking a guard.

I've seen zero reason that Allen would be a good guard. He has experience at center, including NFL game experience. Not every center - even good ones - can do a good job at guard.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Competition is great but, with limited resources I would be shocked if the Rams go Bradbury. Again the big A gives a great explanation here.

It was a surprise that the Rams went offensive line with picks one and two last year. After letting it sink in the picks made sense for the future which is now 2019. I expect the Rams to continue to find offensive lineman later in the draft. Anything is possible when it comes to the Rams draft. The indicators are pointing me in another direction from OC Bradbury with the Rams first round pick.

They need both, an exterior Olinemen a n and an interior. And what I said earlier is that despite a year of coaching, it's not likely that two second year mid round picks ( one with short arms) can replace what Saffold was able to do, or the wisdom supplied by Sullivan. They need a potential stud in the interior. If Whitworth goes down, then Noteboom moves to OT. Who fills in at Left Guard? If Noteboom goes down, they need a fill in for Left Guard. If Allen isn't getting the job done they need a fill in for Center. Interior OLine is the more urgent need. McCoy or Bradbury seem like the type that could move right into the starting line up or back up at G or Center for a year and start next year.

They have an open window right now. If the OLine takes a step backwards it will be much harder to get back to the Super Bowl. Gurley has knee trouble and will get a lighter load. He also won't have Saffold down field making second level blocks for him. Goff didn't look too good with a heavy pass rush and teams will turn up the heat. OLine is a pivotal unit for next year's success.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've seen zero reason that Allen would be a good guard. He has experience at center, including NFL game experience. Not every center - even good ones - can do a good job at guard.

And I haven't seen proof that hell be a good center. He looks like a back up to me. And of course the coaches will say he's ready to start. It would be counter productive to put him down.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I haven't seen proof that hell be a good center. He looks like a back up to me. And of course the coaches will say he's ready to start. It would be counter productive to put him down.

Fine, you don't like him. Others disagree, apparently also the Rams, who haven't made any obvious attempts to replace him with a vet. They also don't seem to be having a lot of centers visit. Has Bradbury visited the Rams? I'd think if they were considering him in the first that would have occurred.

Ram65

Legend
They need both, an exterior Olinemen a n and an interior. And what I said earlier is that despite a year of coaching, it's not likely that two second year mid round picks ( one with short arms) can replace what Saffold was able to do, or the wisdom supplied by Sullivan. They need a potential stud in the interior. If Whitworth goes down, then Noteboom moves to OT. Who fills in at Left Guard? If Noteboom goes down, they need a fill in for Left Guard. If Allen isn't getting the job done they need a fill in for Center. Interior OLine is the more urgent need. McCoy or Bradbury seem like the type that could move right into the starting line up or back up at G or Center for a year and start next year.

They have an open window right now. If the OLine takes a step backwards it will be much harder to get back to the Super Bowl. Gurley has knee trouble and will get a lighter load. He also won't have Saffold down field making second level blocks for him. Goff didn't look too good with a heavy pass rush and teams will turn up the heat. OLine is a pivotal unit for next year's success.

I don't think the Rams share your feelings about Boom and Allen it's that simple.Time will tell, they could be right or you could be right. We know the Rams need backups and have stated so. They have other draft picks and can find cheaper vets that are free agents if need be plus they have other lineman on the roster who could step up.. The Rams also have to replace Suh and Westbooks on a very thin defensive line.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cs3Pvmmv0E

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Unless the Rams are looking at Allen as a G, dont see the Rams spending 2 picks in 2 years on a C.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fine, you don't like him. Others disagree, apparently also the Rams, who haven't made any obvious attempts to replace him with a vet. They also don't seem to be having a lot of centers visit. Has Bradbury visited the Rams? I'd think if they were considering him in the first that would have occurred.

McCoy is on the visit list.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McCoy is on the visit list.

Yes, but he's not seen by most as a first rounder, and is generally listed as a G/C even though he mainly played center in college. And is the only even part time center on the visit list. If replacing Allen were a priority, then they would have more than one coming in. Having a future starting guard who can also backup center IS something desirable, as I and others have pointed out - even if Allen is liked by the team, they need somebody to back him up in 2019 in case of injury. Preferably without having to shuffle the rest of the line.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think the Rams share your feelings about Boom and Allen it's that simple.Time will tell, they could be right or you could be right. We know the Rams need backups and have stated so. They have other draft picks and can find cheaper vets that are free agents if need be plus they have other lineman on the roster who could step up.. The Rams also have to replace Suh and Westbooks on a very thin defensive line.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cs3Pvmmv0E

Based on Suh and Westbrooks regular season play, I'd say, replacing the Dline talent will be an easier task. Saffold was the bigger loss. It isn't necessarily that the coaches feel that Noteboom and/or Allen will fill in without skipping a beat. They had to consider the salary cap, in Saffolds case. Plus, what are they going to say? We don't think the young guys that we drafted last year can handle it?

I don't believe anything until I see it. Noteboom needed to get stronger and more physical. In those areas he has a tall order filling Saffolds shoes. I already told you my opinion of Allen. To me they are both uncertainties, but Allen is the bigger one. Goff will start looking like Bulger and Bradford if every team they play copies what the Eagles, Bears, and Patriots did against them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes, but he's not seen by most as a first rounder, and is generally listed as a G/C even though he mainly played center in college. And is the only even part time center on the visit list. If replacing Allen were a priority, then they would have more than one coming in. Having a future starting guard who can also backup center IS something desirable, as I and others have pointed out - even if Allen is liked by the team, they need somebody to back him up in 2019 in case of injury. Preferably without having to shuffle the rest of the line.

So, if the Rams drafted Bradberry, a clear upgrade at Center, who has projected All Pro talent, you would hate the pick. Got it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, if the Rams drafted Bradberry, a clear upgrade at Center, who has projected All Pro talent, you would hate the pick. Got it.

I'm not sure where you get that BradBURY has projected All Pro talent. That's not what NFL.com has him rated at. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/garrett-bradbury?id=32194252-4109-2951-18e8-697b9ff5297c

They say he has a good chance to become an immediate starter, but are negative on his size and a few other things.

Look - he's a good prospect - NOT a projected All Pro. As I've argued, the Rams have many needs that are more important - and harder to fill - than center, since Allen actually played well in a small sample size last season. Ditching those needs to upgrade a young guy that the team feels is ready to start is not good roster management. Because of the many large contracts, and the trading of a large number of high picks, the Rams have limited resources to fill holes. Using the first first round pick of McVay's tenure to upgrade a player that played solidly his rookie season according to almost everybody but you is not good roster management, but more roster churning when the team has need to get the next man up at CB, safety, Edge, DT, Guard, OT (at least backup), ILB. They also need a young QB to develop for backup, since Bortles will only be with the team one season. Oh, and TE since Higbee is a free agent after this season, and most TEs take a little while to develop.