C/G Mike Pollak available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, we have to sign him, and how much is he worth vs. what/who we can draft to replace him?
Yeah I get yuh but if we can re-sign a former 1st rounder and draft for other holes, that's my direction.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My question on Pollak is...if he's historically effective, why did the Colts, Panthers, and Bengals all let him go?

I'm not saying he's not effective. I just think it's a fair question. If they're judging his "effectiveness" by his PFF grades, I think it's quite a bit misleading. The Bengals had him on a reasonable contract with plenty of cap room and have Boling going into FA. Why would they cut him?

And I also question the scheme fit. He's 6'3" 300. That's not big enough to start at OG in our scheme.

As far as our OL goes, I agree with those that say we need to add 4-5 OLs if we cut Wells and Long and let Barksdale go. We need at least 2 starters and then should add 2-3 depth players.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM thinking e can get'er done:
Well, yes, my glass is always, at least, half full, unless it's in my hand, and I still think with two high draftee's, and free agency, we can, and hope, we will, address all of our OL needs for a good while. We would have drafted Zach Martin, over Donald if he were available, and we even looked at moving up for him.
I'm hopeful myself but we'll see. We still have to, probably, spend one of those high draft picks on a QB and we're short on picks this year.

Zack Martin was available when we picked Donald. Good decision to go with Donald IMO. Wish we had been able to trade up for him later though.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 wondering about history:
My question on Pollak is...if he's historically effective, why did the Colts, Panthers, and Bengals all let him go?
I often wonder the same thing. When I voice those concerns I usually get a response that points out that almost all the coordinators have been fired by multiple teams. While I realize that coaches take most of the blame for the failure of their players and too much credit for their players success, I too fell there's some fire with that smoke.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I often wonder the same thing. When I voice those concerns I usually get a response that points out that almost all the coordinators have been fired by multiple teams. While I realize that coaches take most of the blame for the failure of their players and too much credit for their players success, I too fell there's some fire with that smoke.

Normally, I'd check the film to see for myself but I don't care enough about Pollak to do that this time. :whistle:

paceram

Pro Bowler
Well, yes, my glass is always, at least, half full, unless it's in my hand, and I still think with two high draftee's, and free agency, we can, and hope, we will, address all of our OL needs for a good while. We would have drafted Zach Martin, over Donald if he were available, and we even looked at moving up for him.

As much as I wish the Rams could have Zach Martin on their offensive line I personally would rather have Aaron Donald on my team and I think he was the right pick (I couldn't believe he was still available and would have been really, really upset/disappointed if the Rams didn't select him!). I think Martin is a great player and the Rams definitely need OL help but I just think Donald is a very special player who Rams fans will be thrilled he is on their team and enjoy watching for many seasons!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
While i love Donald the Rams would be a much better team with Martin, due to the greater need at his position on the team.
Look at the Cowboys, who went from pretender to contender by finally fixing their Oline instead of depending on Romo running for his life.

FRO

Legend
While i love Donald the Rams would be a much better team with Martin, due to the greater need at his position on the team.
Look at the Cowboys, who went from pretender to contender by finally fixing their Oline instead of depending on Romo running for his life.
Donald makes us a better team. A pass rushing DT is about as rare as it gets. Donald is a rare player.

iced

Regardless of how GR graded out in his rookie season, he still can't be considered a hole can he? ;) I still only count 3 holes to fill.

I have no clue how Matthews was even able to play with a high ankle sprain much less earn a C. When he described their O-line as "banged up" he wasn't kidding was he. :eek:

I wouldn't consider the spot filled either. He played well for a rookie, but I wouldn't say he did anything to outright claim the job - for example if they draft someone like Peat I could see him battling for LT.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Very good question! I got the "historically effective" quote from Rotoworld. I didn't know much about the guy before yesterday, but from what I've gathered since, he could at least be very good depth. (better than what we have!) All of this contingent on the price...

This is the first Fisher-era preseason I'm willing to question the OL decisions. I've trusted him so far, but we should already be in better shape IMO. He hasn't lived up to his own "we going to run the ball and protect the QB" billing. Everyone on this forum seems to be in agreement - we're so close to being viable - let's do the obvious and return to greatness.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Donald makes us a better team. A pass rushing DT is about as rare as it gets. Donald is a rare player.

Starting QBs are even rarer and having an Oline that keeps ours in the game makes us a playoff team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm hopeful myself but we'll see. We still have to, probably, spend one of those high draft picks on a QB and we're short on picks this year.

Zack Martin was available when we picked Donald. Good decision to go with Donald IMO. Wish we had been able to trade up for him later though.
Yeah, you are right, we tried to trade back up, but he went sooner than we expected, and then couldn't get it done. My bad.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
As much as I wish the Rams could have Zach Martin on their offensive line I personally would rather have Aaron Donald on my team and I think he was the right pick (I couldn't believe he was still available and would have been really, really upset/disappointed if the Rams didn't select him!). I think Martin is a great player and the Rams definitely need OL help but I just think Donald is a very special player who Rams fans will be thrilled he is on their team and enjoy watching for many seasons!
I mocked both players to the Rams, so I was very happy. As Alan pointed out, we tried to trade back up for Martin, which would have been awesome. My point was that we, at least, entertained, or tried to do more with our line, but then our board, BPA took over later. I had Bitonio, barely, rated over Martin, who went a few picks before our pick in the 2nd. Wish we would have got him.

Alan

Legend
iced wanting GR to earn the starting job:
I wouldn't consider the spot filled either.
He played well for a rookie, but I wouldn't say he did anything to outright claim the job - for example if they draft someone like Peat I could see him battling for LT.
True iced but regardless of how well he played last year or how well he'll play in the future, we'll not be drafting to fill his position at LT anytime soon IMO and thus the position is filled for the foreseeable future. He was the #2 pick in the draft and there's no way we don't give him every opportunity to succeed. If we draft an OT it will be to play RT or be a backup/developmental player. Do you disagree with that?

Alan

Legend
DR RAM stoking the fire:
we tried to trade back up, but he went sooner than we expected, and then couldn't get it done.
Just another reason to hate the Cowgirls. They are still on my list of most hated teams, holding steady at #2 behind the Cheatriots. The Whiners are a distant #3 for me. I half like the Cards and the Seahags are meh.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I do not think LT is a position that we can define as a hole. You can share your opinion that he isn't a quality LT, but that is a different debate. I see 4 or 5 holes, with 2 of them being 2nd stringers that are capable of pushing for starting gigs. This is of course on the assumption that Wells and Long are released. Those positions then become, Center, Left Guard, Right Tackle, Swing Tackle, and backup Guard.

iced

True iced but regardless of how well he played last year or how well he'll play in the future, we'll not be drafting to fill his position at LT anytime soon IMO and thus the position is filled for the foreseeable future. He was the #2 pick in the draft and there's no way we don't give him every opportunity to succeed. If we draft an OT it will be to play RT or be a backup/developmental player. Do you disagree with that?

yes i do - you could easily make the same comparison to kendall langford last year before drafting aaron donald

if the rams draft a "versatile lineman" or a tackle - better believe they're going to look for the best one to start at LT... really not that different from the Jason Smith and Rodger Saffold draft

paceram

Pro Bowler
I mocked both players to the Rams, so I was very happy. As Alan pointed out, we tried to trade back up for Martin, which would have been awesome. My point was that we, at least, entertained, or tried to do more with our line, but then our board, BPA took over later. I had Bitonio, barely, rated over Martin, who went a few picks before our pick in the 2nd. Wish we would have got him.

That would had been awesome if the Rams could have moved back up for Martin! At least they tried! Hopefully, they will get an improved/healthier OL this coming season!

Alan

Legend
iced seeing similarities that I don't:
yes i do - you could easily make the same argument about kendall langford last year before drafting aaron donald

if the rams draft a "versatile lineman" or a tackle - better believe they're going to look for the best one to start at LT... really not that different from the Jason Smith and Rodger Saffold draft
I see no similarity between the Langford/Donald and GR/New Guy. Langford was a former FA pickup whose game was going south (IMO) and GR was the #2 pick in the draft in his rookie year. No comparison in my mind.

I agree with you that a player, no matter where he was drafted, has to earn his starting role and your Smith/Saffold analogy is a good one. Although to be fair, Smith sucked from the get go. I think you're forgetting that we drafted Saffold because we needed a RT and not necessarily because we needed competition for Smith. We might do the same this year and I'd be fine with that.