Burning Questions for the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Reading the board the last week there's very little chance the majority of the board will not melt down if a wr is the pick.
It might depend on who the WR is. After MHJr, Nabors, and Odunze, I don’t see another WR worth picking at #19. They either have an issue with drops or their character has come into question, or they are slight of frame.

Between an Edge and one of those top 3 WRs, I don’t have a problem with the Rams moving up a few spots. I just wouldn’t want to give up next year’s 1rst.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It might depend on who the WR is. After MHJr, Nabors, and Odunze, I don’t see another WR worth picking at #19. They either have an issue with drops or their character has come into question, or they are slight of frame.

Between an Edge and one of those top 3 WRs, I don’t have a problem with the Rams moving up a few spots. I just wouldn’t want to give up next year’s 1rst.
Bolded is irrelevant? It depends on who the Rams see as worth it. And you're not going to see those 3 available at 19.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I hope you caught the part where I said I wasn't being completely serious. It could be an interesting offense adding parts we don't really have though. Most points scored wins, every time.
Yes, I definitely saw you were not being completely serious. I'm just slightly scared that McVay may want this too :laugh1:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Bolded is irrelevant? It depends on who the Rams see as worth it. And you're not going to see those 3 available at 19.

lol! Not more than 5 minutes after I typed it, I talked myself into another WR. I swear, I don’t know how I’m gonna react to the the Rams’ 1rst round pick.
Irrelevant or not, my opinion is changing more often than my underwear!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Too many needs on defense to go WR in the 1st round. I will be mad as hell if they go WR in the 1st round, I don't care who it is.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Ricky Pearsall in rd 2 or early rd 3 if he lasts. That's why I want a trade down. 3 picks in the top 70 would allow you to get potential impact players at DT, Edge, and WR. And Pearsall gives you a 4.4 punt returner as well.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Too many needs on defense to go WR in the 1st round. I will be mad as hell if they go WR in the 1st round, I don't care who it is.
Honestly, it'd be hard for me to be mad if we got Harrison Jr, Nabers, Oduze. WR is quickly becoming perhaps the 2nd most valuable position in the NFL. That said, the chances of that are very low and the chances that I'd like what we'd be giving up to move into position to get one, are very low also.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm ready for the RoD pitchforks and anger when the Rams trade up to #8 and select Rome Odunze.

I’ll be leading the charge. I’m fine with a trade up for a difference maker, but I happen to think Odunze is overhyped. Trade up for Nabers or Harrison, fine…I get it…Odunze? No thank you. Homie has DBs draped all over him in college. In the pros, he will be clamped

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If a team sees Nix or Penix as 5-10 year starters, why wouldn't they draft them in the 1st, like the Packers have in the past? Let them be your backup QB/sit on the bench and learn for a couple years. The Rams might be one of those teams depending on how they view Nix, Penix (10% chance). After all, it is the most important position in the NFL and Stafford won't play forever.
I don't think Nix is in play for round 1. He could end up being a hell of a player but you're projecting him heavily to draft him early. He does fit SF nicely though. So it would not surprise me if some team took him end of round 1 to get their target before that value range for him (I see him as early round 2 range). Maybe teams have him higher who knows. But to me just too much risk when you start projecting a QB that high. You can fall in love with prospects doing that and lose objectivity.

Penix I think is a better and very strong prospect. On the negative side though you have the medical stuff with his knees. If you were to get a look at every team's board you could nail down his average ranking, which there is no telling what that would be but I'd say the average may be bottom half of round 1. Somewhere in there though that is a stab in the dark since we don't know the medical side. To me there are a lot of QBs who have gone round 1 who are lesser prospects than him though. There are QBs who have gone 1 overall who are lesser prospects than him.

So when you talk 19 and a potential for a trade down by some team wanting a QB, I think it is likely that happens if Penix is on the board. Though all it takes is one team to fall in love with Nix and get paranoid and decide to go a bit higher to ensure they get him.

But I think both Nix and Penix are fortunate that they might still be on the board in the 20s where those playoff teams reside. Because those are the best situations to fall into as a rook, where the team won't need you right away and you get some time to learn before you gotta please the mob.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just have a feeling that one of Bowers, Latu or Verse is going to be available when the Rams pick.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
If you were to get a look at every team's board you could nail down his average ranking, which there is no telling what that would be
Precisely.

Nobody knows what teams actually think; all we, as fans, can do is go by our own scouting (which is a tiny fraction of what the pros do) and then go by online assessments and reports.

I find the best overall ranking is from the following website, which draws from hundreds of sources:

Again, it isn’t any franchise’s official board but at least it isn’t just one person’s opinion.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I think the value of the media boards is they are constantly getting tips and shit from their NFL contacts where they say "this guy is too high" or "where is so and so in round 1" so I view those as having some truth to them. When you see a big "riser" what it probably means is the media types got wind that they had him too low.

Teams undoubtedly have expectations with the workouts for guys based on their film. The ones who run way faster than their film shows, well, who cares, because what value is speed if the guy is thinking out there. Though I am sure there are some who they project to be better as pros than they were as a collegiate player too. But either way I suspect team boards don't move around like media boards. I think the media boards move as they get corrections from contacts mostly.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yep. And the closer we get to the draft, the closer media boards should reflect teams’ thoughts.

In theory, at least.

And even despite all of that one or two trades or one unexpected selection can almost change everything.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Just don't see the Rams trading up this year. Alt is too high still leaves a big hole on defense but the Online is potentially top 3 in the league with 2 quality BUs.

The wrs are very strong but why when we have such a big holes on defense.

To me if we trade up it is for one of two scenarios either their is a targeted OLB that to Les and Sean is a must have or same with CB. Before AD retired I was thinking CB bc there was no absolute stone cold home run at CB I have seen tons of different names as the highest rated Arms a little more than the rest.

To get the top OLB they would need to jump ATL and Tennessee is not moving if ALT is there so you are trading with the Giants and you might as well take ALT but Turner seems to be the consensus best OLB.

I think this year they will let the board come to them and either 1 of the CBs or OLBs will be there or as a wildcard pick Bowers and they grab him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol! Not more than 5 minutes after I typed it, I talked myself into another WR. I swear, I don’t know how I’m gonna react to the the Rams’ 1rst round pick.
Irrelevant or not, my opinion is changing more often than my underwear!
Draft season is fun :) As soon as you think something "has to happen" that's probably a good hint that it won't with McSnead.

dang

Legend
I am still annoyed by that pick lol

Precisely.

Nobody knows what teams actually think; all we, as fans, can do is go by our own scouting (which is a tiny fraction of what the pros do) and then go by online assessments and reports.

I find the best overall ranking is from the following website, which draws from hundreds of sources:

Again, it isn’t any franchise’s official board but at least it isn’t just one person’s opinion.
That’s the one I’ve been following. Fun to see the movement of players week to week but it seems to have settled in the last week or so. WRs as a group had a lot of movement upwards since I’ve begun watching.