Burning Questions for the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not shitty at all. Trust in McSnead. I say that knowing full well if it's not a DT or Edge there will be a massive meltdown here because ROD knows better.
This is what I need to prepare for.

I need to remember sometimes opportunity is greater than need.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Minnesota trades up to #4 and takes McCarthy.

Renters at 5 take MHJ and profit.

Rams stay put in the first, later rounds we could see a trade or two to maneuver. I think we end up with a 4th, Snead has said before the gap like we have between 3rd and 5th is something he doesn't like.
I see #5 (LAC) as the spot they may trade up to. Or #6 (NYG). Arizona isn't taking a QB. Neither is LAC. Or the Giants. Or Tennessee. Now if they suspect somebody will trade up to #4 and get ahead of them, that's a different story.

I could see the Rams trading up or down a couple of slots. I'd prefer they stay put but they're the masters at it.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Not shitty at all. Trust in McSnead. I say that knowing full well if it's not a DT or Edge there will be a massive meltdown here because ROD knows better.
I'd venture that most of us would be quite happy with a CB too.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I would not mind if the Rams trade up 3 to 7 slots to get into the mid to low teens where they can likely get the CB Mitchel or edge players Turner & Verse. Like some others here, I really like Cooper DeJean and I think there is a good chance he will be there if they stay at 19. I would not be upset with a left tackle either but there may be better value at Edge and CB and those are bigger needs as well.

Premium Left Tackles, CB's, and Edge Rushers all command top dollar on the FA market so drafting one of those three position groups with first round pick makes the most sense for the rams fiscally and the potnetial for a high return on value is there for all three postion groups in the mid first round.

Jeremiah has Latu there at 19 with Mitchell going at 15. Feels like post-FA moves and AD retirement, Edge is more of a priority than CB in the 1st rd.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see #5 (LAC) as the spot they may trade up to. Or #6 (NYG). Arizona isn't taking a QB. Neither is LAC. Or the Giants. Or Tennessee. Now if they suspect somebody will trade up to #4 and get ahead of them, that's a different story.

I could see the Rams trading up or down a couple of slots. I'd prefer they stay put but they're the masters at it.
Don't rule out the Giants drafting a QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We always have meltdowns here on draft day, no doubt about it. But I think there's quite a broad range of options fans would be happy with at 19 in this draft. There is going to be a lot of players who make us better so no telling who they pick.

There's a difference in saying you think they will do X or Y, vs throwing a tantrum when they don't do what you expect.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I knew I should have added CB to the list but everybody is so focused on the other 2 defensive spots I skipped it. I fully expect a ROD meltdown draft night. People already going crazy with the hyperbole with what and who the Rams have yo draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We always have meltdowns here on draft day, no doubt about it. But I think there's quite a broad range of options fans would be happy with at 19 in this draft. There is going to be a lot of players who make us better so no telling who they pick.

There's a difference in saying you think they will do X or Y, vs throwing a tantrum when they don't do what you expect.
Reading the board the last week there's very little chance the majority of the board will not melt down if a wr is the pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Reading the board the last week there's very little chance the majority of the board will not melt down if a wr is the pick.
Nah. I think folks here are aware that WR is always a possibility with McVay.

If it happens there will be a small group who shit their pants on draft night as per usual. Then they'll come around after doing some research.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If it happens there will be a small group who shit their pants on draft night as per usual. Then they'll come around after doing some research.
You have more faith in the doomers than I do mi amigo :)

At least Creed Humphrey isn't brought up daily anymore though so maybe you're right though that took a few years.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Man ain't that the truth!
I don't know. We have a few factions for preferred positions. Edge, DT, CB, QB, WR and even OT. Could be A LOT of people might be a tad upset but I don't know why. These guys passed on a bonified, HOF center in 2021 and still went to the playoffs 2 of the next 3 years, winning a Lombardi. If they pass on an Edge or CB or DT and take a WR, I'm not gonna worry. Same if they take a DT or QB. These guys have waaaaay more information and evaluating ability than we do. And actually talk to their veterans who may be contemplating retirement (and when). If they take a QB high, I gotta believe Stafford has given them a timeline.

They should realize.
You have more faith in the doomers than I do mi amigo :)

At least Creed Humphrey isn't brought up daily anymore though so maybe you're right though that took a few years.
The Creed Humphrey crying should have completely ended at 10 pm on February 13, 2022. Period. And we never should have had to read another word!

20hrswk

UDFA
I agree Minnesota is going to trade up, but I think other teams might be trading up as well with McCarthy then Nix/Penix being the targets.

If a team sees Nix or Penix as 5-10 year starters, why wouldn't they draft them in the 1st, like the Packers have in the past? Let them be your backup QB/sit on the bench and learn for a couple years. The Rams might be one of those teams depending on how they view Nix, Penix (10% chance). After all, it is the most important position in the NFL and Stafford won't play forever.

Of course it can cause friction within your QB room, but I can see the Giants, Titans, Jets, Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, Saints and Seahawks drafting a QB before the Rams pick . . . and that doesn't include other teams that might want to trade up for a QB, again if they see Nix or Penix as being long term starters in the league.

Here's one for you, what if Penix makes it to #31? What are the chances the niners take him?? I am of the opinion they can't win it all with Purdy (like Jimmy G he's just not a QB that can lead you on Super Bowl winning drives like Mahomes, Stafford, etc.). As a Ram fan, I think we're lucky they have a QB who is good enough to win games given what's around him, but not good enough to go all the way. I know they are down on $, but if they could have somehow got Cousins, I think they are the favorites to winn the Super Bowl.

I think it will get pretty wild in the next month (draft trades) and wouldn't be surprised if 6 QBs are taken before the Rams pick.

6 QB, plus 3/4 LT, plus 4/5 WR, plus the usual reaches and we're at #19 with some real good players left to choose from.

Maybe if the Rams are real lucky, Penix and or Nix make it to #19 and some team wants to trade up to get one of them and gives the Rams a couple high draft picks to trade back.

Last edited:

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
If we trade up, I’m assuming it wouldn’t be for a WR. There are several quality WR in this draft. We could stand Pat at 19 and land a good one. If we do trade up I’m guessing they have another position in mind.

Tano

Legend
Man ain't that the truth!

I don't know. We have a few factions for preferred positions. Edge, DT, CB, QB, WR and even OT. Could be A LOT of people might be a tad upset but I don't know why. These guys passed on a bonified, HOF center in 2021 and still went to the playoffs 2 of the next 3 years, winning a Lombardi. If they pass on an Edge or CB or DT and take a WR, I'm not gonna worry. Same if they take a DT or QB. These guys have waaaaay more information and evaluating ability than we do. And actually talk to their veterans who may be contemplating retirement (and when). If they take a QB high, I gotta believe Stafford has given them a timeline.

They should realize.

The Creed Humphrey crying should have completely ended at 10 pm on February 13, 2022. Period. And we never should have had to read another word!
I am still annoyed by that pick lol

muggmeister

Rookie
What if we try to just outscore everybody and say fuck the defense during the 3 picks
Rd 1 - Brian Thomas, WR
Rd 2 - Ja'Tovian Sanders, TE
Rd 3 - Trey Benson, RB
Rd 3 - BPA defense
Rds 4 and up, OL depth x 2 and the rest defense
Put 30+ on the board every game, control the clock and try to force a couple turnovers each game. You always win if you score more than the opponents. BTW, I'm not being completely serious, just a callous thought.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I think you're correct, unless its one of the top 3 and we didn't give up the world to move up.
If we trade up, I’m assuming it wouldn’t be for a WR. There are several quality WR in this draft. We could stand Pat at 19 and land a good one. If we do trade up I’m guessing they have another position in mind.
Agree. Honestly I just hope we let the board fall to us. I'm going to guess that one of the top 2 CBs, 3 Edges, or the DT (IMO Murphy is the one) will be there. That is 6 guys that I'll be hoping for and I can easily see 13 offensive prospects going in the top 18 picks.
What if we try to just outscore everybody and say fuck the defense during the 3 picks
Rd 1 - Brian Thomas, WR
Rd 2 - Ja'Tovian Sanders, TE
Rd 3 - Trey Benson, RB
Rd 3 - BPA defense
Rds 4 and up, OL depth x 2 and the rest defense
Put 30+ on the board every game, control the clock and try to force a couple turnovers each game. You always win if you score more than the opponents. BTW, I'm not being completely serious, just a callous thought.
Yuck. Literally hate that idea. Then again, I'm not super high on Thomas or Sanders. IMO there will be vastly superior defenders in the 2nd over Sanders. Not to mention there being many superior to Thomas. I get wanting to have an elite offense, but, don't we already have one? One of the best: O lines, QB's, WR cores, RB. I'd say we are top 5 as we sit right now.

muggmeister

Rookie
I think you're correct, unless its one of the top 3 and we didn't give up the world to move up.

Agree. Honestly I just hope we let the board fall to us. I'm going to guess that one of the top 2 CBs, 3 Edges, or the DT (IMO Murphy is the one) will be there. That is 6 guys that I'll be hoping for and I can easily see 13 offensive prospects going in the top 18 picks.

Yuck. Literally hate that idea. Then again, I'm not super high on Thomas or Sanders. IMO there will be vastly superior defenders in the 2nd over Sanders. Not to mention there being many superior to Thomas. I get wanting to have an elite offense, but, don't we already have one? One of the best: O lines, QB's, WR cores, RB. I'd say we are top 5 as we sit right now.
I hope you caught the part where I said I wasn't being completely serious. It could be an interesting offense adding parts we don't really have though. Most points scored wins, every time.