Bucs release Josh McCown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Because I don't see the three Is. ;)

I see a guy who would be a starting caliber backup that still has potential. IMO, he's proven he can be a Kyle Orton type QB. And that's easily the best of anything on the market but is still young and has upside. Would be the best of a bad situation to hedge our bets behind Bradford.
He couldn't beat out McCown who they just cut so not seeing the starter you are but fair enough.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Maybe this is where the three "I's" come from.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ennon-generating-buzz-as-bucs-trade-candidate

The days of NFL teams deciding between Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper in free agency are long gone.

Combine on NFL Network
0ap3000000469008.jpg
In advance of the draft, Marcus Mariota and others will look to showcase their skills at the combine (Feb. 17-23), only on NFL Network. SCHEDULE
With yet another weak crop of quarterbacks set to hit the market next month, Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Mike Glennon is generating buzz as a trade target for the second time since general manager Jason Licht and coach Lovie Smith took control of the organization last offseason.

Although Lovie Smith has publicly touted Glennon as thequarterback of the future, his actions suggest otherwise.

Even in the meaningless final month of a lost season, Glennon couldn't unseat underwhelming journeyman starterJosh McCown.

If the Bucs' personnel department has designs on Florida State's Jameis Winston or Oregon's Marcus Mariota with the No. 1 overall draft pick, Licht will entertain offers for Glennon.

That prospect begs the following questions: What is Glennon's value? And which teams will be interested?

With 29 touchdowns in 19 career games, Glennon is more than just a reclamation project. En route to earning Offensive Rookie of the Month honors in November of 2013, he became the first rookie in NFL history to throw at least one touchdown pass in his first eight games.

Gushed Greg Schiano at time, "I think this is a guy that certainly, as long as he continues on this trajectory, is a guy you'd love to have as a quarterback for a long time."

The problem is that Glennon didn't continue on that trajectory. His 2014 game tape is unimpressive, showing an immobile, often indecisive passer with accuracy issues and an inability to move the offense for quarters at a time.

Boasting prototypical size and a strong arm, though, Glennon is sure to attract suitors willing to gamble on a bounce-back season with better coaching and consistent blocking.

The Pewter Report's Scott Reynolds believes Licht would settle for a third-round pick but no less than a fourth-rounder in return for Glennon. We see the latter as a more realistic price tag.

The ideal trade partner is one with an unproven quarterback yet to establish himself as the answer, such as the Browns (Johnny Manziel), Bills (EJ Manuel), Titans (Zach Mettenberger) and Jets (Geno Smith).

Glennon is one of the NFL's top 32 quarterbacks. He should be under center in another city when the 2015 season opens.

Athos

Legend
No thanks to McCown. Hopefully the Bucs are still willing to deal Glennon.

Unlikely now. They'll want a vet QB that knows their system to ease in a rookie QB. I'm thinking Glennon might be staying now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He couldn't beat out McCown who they just cut so not seeing the starter you are but fair enough.

Brett Favre apparently couldn't beat out Chris Miller and Billy Joe Tolliver. How did he end up in the HOF?

Hard to beat a player out when there isn't a fair competition for the spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unlikely now. They'll want a vet QB that knows their system to ease in a rookie QB. I'm thinking Glennon might be staying now.

Would be yet another dumb move by Tampa Bay. Unless they're going to sit their rookie QB for his first year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Brett Favre apparently couldn't beat out Chris Miller and Billy Joe Tolliver. How did he end up in the HOF?

Hard to beat a player out when there isn't a fair competition for the spot.

Come on jrry, I don't think that was the issue in GB back in the day. Different era. Guys were brought along much slower and Favre did not look good when he stepped in for those guys initially but that was a really small sample size. Favre had done things in school that Glennon could only hope to have done. Favre was also not a statue. I don't think Favre was in a situation where there wasn't a "fair" competition, per se.

And I'm not sure there was an issue of fair competition with Glennon, he got chances to play last year. Is it at all possible that you've gone all in on Glennon because he's really the only other option beside Bradford to lead the Rams next year? Is it possible you're only looking for the positives with him or only looking for reasons that he was held back?

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't pick up Glennon, actually for the right price, I think he could be an intriguing option - the most intriguing option when you take in the crap QB class in the draft this year. I liked the NFL.com write up I just pasted above in that I think it's got a fair assessment of Glennon. If a team picks him up, I think you work hard to coach him up and hope that better coaching and a stable oline improves his play to something akin to 2013. He's a risk with some strengths and some warts.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just realized that, jrry, you may not have been saying that Favre had an issue with competition, looks like that could get conflated with your second line.

Still, I wonder about the Glennon points.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Boasting prototypical size and a strong arm, though, Glennon is sure to attract suitors willing to gamble on a bounce-back season with better coaching and consistent blocking.
6'7" prototypical?

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I'd rather pick up Morgan Fairchild.

"Ladies and gentleman, introducing your 2015 Rams starting QB..." 65 years old and still do-able. That was a Simon and Garfunkel song, right? "Still do-able after all these years"

600full-morgan-fairchild.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on jrry, I don't think that was the issue in GB back in the day. Different era. Guys were brought along much slower and Favre did not look good when he stepped in for those guys initially but that was a really small sample size. Favre had done things in school that Glennon could only hope to have done. Favre was also not a statue. I don't think Favre was in a situation where there wasn't a "fair" competition, per se.

I'm not talking GB, I'm talking Atlanta. Glanville did not like Favre. Favre partied too much back then. Going to Green Bay was good for him because had he stayed in Atlanta, I don't think he would have gotten a chance to shine until Glanville was gone.

There wasn't going to be a fair competition there because Glanville didn't like Favre. As for what Favre did in college...I gotta disagree:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brett-favre-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mike-glennon-1.html

There's no doubt Favre was more mobile and more talented than Glennon. That wasn't my point. Although, Glennon isn't a guy that I'd call a statue. He has good functional mobility in the pocket and enough athleticism to scramble out of it.

And I'm not sure there was an issue of fair competition with Glennon, he got chances to play last year. Is it at all possible that you've gone all in on Glennon because he's really the only other option beside Bradford to lead the Rams next year? Is it possible you're only looking for the positives with him or only looking for reasons that he was held back?

Nope. That's not it at all. I've been frank and honest with Glennon's negatives and what I expect him to be(which isn't a superstar).

Glennon got a chance to play last year while McCown was injured...and then McCown became the starter again when he was healthy...despite the fact that he got outplayed.

I don't think either of us would call that fair competition. It would have been like demoting Zac Stacy for Daryl Richardson in 2013 when Richardson got over his foot injury and claiming that Stacy "lost" a "fair" competition.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't pick up Glennon, actually for the right price, I think he could be an intriguing option - the most intriguing option when you take in the crap QB class in the draft this year. I liked the NFL.com write up I just pasted above in that I think it's got a fair assessment of Glennon. If a team picks him up, I think you work hard to coach him up and hope that better coaching and a stable oline improves his play to something akin to 2013. He's a risk with some strengths and some warts.

I think we can all agree on that. And if he only rises to his 2013 level, we're going to need to look for a QB of the future if Bradford isn't it.

Because 2013 Glennon isn't enough for me either. Still, the guy right now offers about what Kyle Orton offers(but much younger with upside)...a starting caliber game manager. And that's likely the best of a bad situation for us...unless we can grab Winston/Mariota or a better veteran QB.

Regardless, Glennon is just a backup QB option to Bradford, in my mind. But he's the best one I've seen out there in terms of price.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm not talking GB, I'm talking Atlanta. Glanville did not like Favre. Favre partied too much back then. Going to Green Bay was good for him because had he stayed in Atlanta, I don't think he would have gotten a chance to shine until Glanville was gone.

There wasn't going to be a fair competition there because Glanville didn't like Favre. As for what Favre did in college...I gotta disagree:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brett-favre-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mike-glennon-1.html

There's no doubt Favre was more mobile and more talented than Glennon. That wasn't my point. Although, Glennon isn't a guy that I'd call a statue. He has good functional mobility in the pocket and enough athleticism to scramble out of it.

Nope. That's not it at all. I've been frank and honest with Glennon's negatives and what I expect him to be(which isn't a superstar).

Glennon got a chance to play last year while McCown was injured...and then McCown became the starter again when he was healthy...despite the fact that he got outplayed.

I don't think either of us would call that fair competition. It would have been like demoting Zac Stacy for Daryl Richardson in 2013 when Richardson got over his foot injury and claiming that Stacy "lost" a "fair" competition.

I think we can all agree on that. And if he only rises to his 2013 level, we're going to need to look for a QB of the future if Bradford isn't it.

Because 2013 Glennon isn't enough for me either. Still, the guy right now offers about what Kyle Orton offers(but much younger with upside)...a starting caliber game manager. And that's likely the best of a bad situation for us...unless we can grab Winston/Mariota or a better veteran QB.

Regardless, Glennon is just a backup QB option to Bradford, in my mind. But he's the best one I've seen out there in terms of price.

Dammit, jrry, when you're this thoughtful and reasonable... it just doesn't feel like a message board! ;)

WestCoastRam

Legend
Sh*t, count me in the Fairchild camp now. It's amazing what they must be doing with embalming fluid these days!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dammit, jrry, when you're this thoughtful and reasonable... it just doesn't feel like a message board! ;)

Apologies. Can't ruin that message board feel. Mike Glennon is the next Peyton Manning. If the Rams don't trade for him, I'll throw a tantrum and become a Cowboys fan. I refuse to watch another season of Sam Bustford. ;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/11/report-multiple-teams-want-to-meet-with-josh-mccown/

Report: Multiple teams want to meet with Josh McCown
Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 11, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthhytk4nzu4nzi4ytm0ytizn2jkmjg2ytmxmgmzztk0-e1423707275628.jpeg
AP

Is a market quickly developing for ex-Buccaneers quarterback Josh McCown?

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports “a few” clubs have already asked McCown to take free-agent visits.

The Buccaneers announced late Wednesday afternoon that they were releasing the 35-year-old McCown, who threw for 2,206 yards with 11 TD passes and 14 interceptions in his lone season with Tampa Bay.

The teams interested in McCown are not yet known; he could conceivably draw interest both as a short-term starter and as a top backup. The potential unrestricted free-agent quarterback pool for 2015 is not deep, and McCown’s 2013 form with Chicago (1,829 yards, 13 TDs, one pick, 66.5 percent completions) could still prove enticing to clubs. McCown’s reputation as a good teammate should also help him as he enters the market.