Bucs release Josh McCown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Bucs release Josh McCown
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2015, 5:46 PM EST
0766f549c4d3b5384f304beb4da60a3b-1.jpeg
Getty Images
Mike Glennon may or may not be the quarterback of the future for the Buccaneers, but Josh McCown is definitely the team’s quarterback of the past.

PFT has confirmed multiple reports that the Bucs have released McCown. (The Bucs also have announced the move.)

Last year, McCown signed a two-year, $10 million deal, after putting together some very good performances as the backup to Jay Cutler in Chicago.

McCown, who started 11 games in 2014, immediately becomes a free agent, and he can sign with any other team immediately. It beefs up an otherwise week class of 2015 free agents, and it could spark a land rush among quarterback-needy teams like the Jets, Browns, and Bills.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I guess if the Bears were ever really thinking about getting rid of Cutler, here's there chance to. McCown did well for them when Cutler was hurt the other year. Didn't work out for him in TB but he showed he could play well with the Bears.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McCown demonstrates the importance of good offensive coaching and having some talent around the QB. He's gonna get a lot of interest in FA now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No thanks to McCown. Hopefully the Bucs are still willing to deal Glennon.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well that probably takes Glennon off the market. He will either be the starter or the backup.

McCown may be worth a look.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Boom, there it is. This is a no brainer. Sam will win the competition but McCown is an upgrade over Hill or Davis.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I could see Baltimore picking him up as a backup as Trestman is there. I don't know that he's an upgrade from Hill. I'd list them as even.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why on Glennon? I see three I's - Immobile, Indecisive, Inaccurate.

Because I don't see the three Is. ;)

I see a guy who would be a starting caliber backup that still has potential. IMO, he's proven he can be a Kyle Orton type QB. And that's easily the best of anything on the market but is still young and has upside. Would be the best of a bad situation to hedge our bets behind Bradford.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Tis a horrible thing to be a fan of a team that has fans that are clamoring for ANY of these stiffs. My kingdom for a healthy Bradford next season.....ALL season. Haven't we suffered enough without having to argue over Mclown/Freeman/Glennon/Sanchez/Hill/Davis/the ghost of Kurt Warner/etc????