Bryce Young Benched. Rams Project?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Young was said to be one of the most cerebral players at the position of most draft classes. A coach on the field.

IMO, Bryce Young is failing so far because of his size.

They upgraded the OLine and added weapons and he looks worse than he did last year. I've watched the games and he doesn't seem to see wide open WRs. Sure it happens to the best of them from time to time, but my guess is that due to his size he can't see these guys or he's waiting for a huge open window in order to deliver the ball.

And that clip of him appearing to be crying after a pick doesn't inspire confidence at all.
You make a decent argument. :)

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I haven't watched him enough but I'm certainly not going by anything he's put on film in Carolina that's team is awful I don't think I can name anyone special on that offense that would lead me to say well he does have chase or Jefferson or a dynamic RB. It's more is his arm strength good enough can he me drew brees but he needs to leave there asap before he turns in David Carr.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I haven't watched him enough but I'm certainly not going by anything he's put on film in Carolina that's team is awful I don't think I can name anyone special on that offense that would lead me to say well he does have chase or Jefferson or a dynamic RB. It's more is his arm strength good enough can he me drew brees but he needs to leave there asap before he turns in David Carr.
From what I’ve seen, Young is part of the problem.
Carolina signed Dionte Johnson in the offseason to pair with Theilan. Both are very good route runners and solid receivers.
Their Oline isnt bad, either.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And I would say that some of these quarterbacks fail for the same reason Bryce Young is failing so far. That being lack of team support.
As you know RG3 was a victim of injuries as much as anything.
RG3 was a nutless fuck. He couldn't handle that defenders would actually hit him when he covered his lack of passing ability with his running. Dude would whine and cry when pushed out of bounds. Absolutely terrible and there isn't a team he'd succeed for long at this level with.

Young is a whole different deal I think. I actually like his demeanor, it was cited as a strength during the draft prep and I'm sure it was accurate. Problem with him is he was elevated in that draft process by bullshit groupthink that prevented the media from questioning how assinine it is that a sub 6 foot QB is being talked about first overall. And I don't think he's a bad prospect. He's just not a top pick. Not by any stretch. Leadership alone does not put you there.

I think Young is gonna be a fine backup for someone. Backup because if you want to be a long term starter in this league you need to win from the pocket and this dude has a way to go before that is a given. If ever. Because his height is a significant drawback. Now maybe some enterprising and try-hard OC will be able to get the most from him by scheming him into space. But that's a lot of work and honestly being an OC is tough enough at this level.

muggmeister

Starter
To the person who made the trade, how about, "Fuck you!"?

Oh, shit, I'm...fuck. Embarrassed for Daniel. I thought he was smarter than that. Guess Brad Smith/Brady Cook is now my favorite Mizzou quarterback.
Daniel's thoughts and opinions should NEVER be allowed to see print again. All credentials should be revoked and he should be forced to announce every Panther game the rest of the year.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm fine with the Ernest Jones trade. They just need to get Speights in there.

But that trade offer they made to the Jets to move up for Brock Bowers was utter madness. And I really wanted Bowers on this team.
Do you recall what that trade offer was? I can't remember exactly but I believe it was absurd.
Probably, but just like the Rams, Ernest and his Titans are 0-2.
But meanwhile Jones has been ranked as the best player on the defense. A defense with a stud like Jeffrey Simmons. The Rams D sorely misses Jones in the middle.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember watching Steve Young playing for a deplorable Bucs team, and my god it looked like he’d be better off throwing right handed.
Alas, when he was put in the right system,
Never mind, Fuck Steve Young

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Carolina signed Dionte Johnson in the offseason to pair with Theilan. Both are very good route runners and solid receivers.
K they are good players don't really stand out to me but I'm with you that said maybe a bit more time to form chemistry I mean pulling the plug like that after everything given up is just wow.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
McVay has coached 4 starting QBs.

RGIII who with his Dad was on the way out. And he coached up a nobody in Cousins who is on record that McVay was instrumental in him being a starter.

Goff, who was routinely shit on when McVay came in. Who he coached to a Super Bowl prior to Goff's confidence eroding.

And Stafford, who was questioned in the media re: whether he was good enough to win a playoff game. He did in fact win that playoff game, and put together one of the most impressive postseason runs by a QB in history, with zero run game to back him up.

So. To criticize McVay the best approach is to start with the fact that his inability to consistently balance his offense puts inordinate pressure on passers. He gets the most from them, but I suspect wears them down mentally. Of course Stafford suffered so long under poor coaches that he probably still appreciates the offense and calls in spite of all that.
That is good insight. It's also why though that I don't think he'd be interested in Young. He's small and doesn't appear to have a fast processor upstairs.

He did a great job with Cousins who I think has a moderate ability to read defenses. Good arm and does great in blow out games. Not great in meaningful games or tight situations.

I just don't think Young has the ability to overcome his height limit. And I just don't see him as a McVay leader type.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Fair enough.
I still don't see any quarterback on our roster that has the potential to be our future quarterback.
By the time we DO develop our rookie starters in a year or so, who is our quarterback of the future that we're developing.
I'm not seeing ANYBODY.
That's a problem in my eyes for the future of this team.
I have a feeling no one knows the plan for QB after Stafford and that possibly includes Mc Snead.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think the Carolina Panthers straight up screwed up Bryce Young.
The guy can obviously play as he won the Heisman Trophy.
I think a lot of the naysayers are understandably going on his performance on a really bad team where he really didn't have a shot.
What if you had a Super bowl winning coach tell you that YOU were his handpicked choice to operate his team in the near future?
What *if* McVay molded an offense around him?
With our offensive line and our defense at the moment?
I don't know how long Stafford could last.
And Bryce Young is more mobile and could take less of a beating.
Why not try to get him now at a bargain basement price.
No first round or proven quarterback is ever going to go for a bargain basement price.
I think this plan has as good a chance of any to work.
I guess the question is, do you really see Young as a McVay QB? I don't but I'm paid to evaluate personnel decisions at the same rate you are.:sunglasses:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think the Carolina Panthers straight up screwed up Bryce Young.
The guy can obviously play as he won the Heisman Trophy.
I think a lot of the naysayers are understandably going on his performance on a really bad team where he really didn't have a shot.
What if you had a Super bowl winning coach tell you that YOU were his handpicked choice to operate his team in the near future?
What *if* McVay molded an offense around him?
With our offensive line and our defense at the moment?
I don't know how long Stafford could last.
And Bryce Young is more mobile and could take less of a beating.
Why not try to get him now at a bargain basement price.
No first round or proven quarterback is ever going to go for a bargain basement price.
I think this plan has as good a chance of any to work.
I guess the question is, do you really see Young as a McVay QB? I don't but I'm paid to evaluate personnel decisions at the same rate you are. :sunglasses:
If anything, that's the sort of thing that counsels more patience. It typically takes the cerebral types more time to adjust to the NFL. It's the guys who are uber athletic who adjust more quickly. Regardless, Young may not be able to do it. But if he's available on the cheap, I'll shoot my shot. I have a lot of faith in McVay's ability to scheme around weaknesses and bring out the best in his players.
We've definitely argued over QBs. You were really high on Bridgewater and I wasn't for many of the same reasons I'm not high on Young.

I really like your insight on a great many players coming out of college. It seems we really don't agree on the QB position.

Stay in your lane. :evil:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I hate Green Bay for this idea of sitting a not ready for primetime QB behind a guy to learn. Outside of maybe Love and maybe Josh Allen, name the vast number of sucky rookie QB's who have been rehabilitated? I don't consider Goff as being eligible for this because McVay was directing him at all times in those early years and eventually gave up on him. Giving up any draft picks for this guy would be a waste to me.

Ignore the distraction of a Goff discussion and talk about rehabilitated QB's who have been worth a damn.
Off the top of my head, I would have to go all the way back to Jim Plunkett.
….unless you are counting geno smith “worth a dam.”
Even if you did, that would be about 40 years between those two reclamations. That’s certainly not a great success rate.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think what a true tell will be is how Dalton does with this team. He's pedestrian at best so if he does better, I think the writing is on the wall.

Young is ...well ...young but I just don't see him coming around miraculously .

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dalton will probably give them a brief lift. Very brief. :laugh3:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've definitely argued over QBs. You were really high on Bridgewater and I wasn't for many of the same reasons I'm not high on Young.

I really like your insight on a great many players coming out of college. It seems we really don't agree on the QB position.

Stay in your lane. :evil:
Teddy B. had himself a solid career. Not what I expected, but certainly solid. Hard to know what he could have become if not for his catastrophic knee injury. I'm surprised Young has played so poorly, but he's the type of guy I'd buy low on with McVay. Let him learn behind Stafford, rebuild his confidence, and build a scheme around what he does well. Maybe it works out. Maybe it doesn't. If you're not giving up much, the juice seems worth the squeeze to me. He was a #1 pick, and as far as I know, he's not into the bad shit (partying, drugs, etc.) that have destroyed other #1 overall QBs.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I just don't see an NFL QB when I look at Young. His frame is just so slight. Him just a lil feller is what I'm sayin. Add to that his lack of speed and less than average ball velocity (from what I have seen so far), and that spells TROUBLE. All of this has been previously stated, so I'm certainly not enlightening anyone, and therefore apologize for even typing this....

I don't see Andy "Uncle Leo" Dalton stringing together a bunch of wins with this roster, but I'm sure the games will be more competitive. Tepper is absolute dogshit as an owner, and this team appears to be the new Commodes. Poor, poor Luke Combs...

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do know that Bryce Young has been drafted into a crappy organization. Is it because he doesn't respond to coaching or is the coaching just not any good. It doesn't matter if he was highly touted out of high school and went to Alabama. I've heard coaches and GMs agree that you have to respond to coaching to make it at the NFL level. With the "duck, duck, goose" coaching rotation in Carolina at both the head coaching and coordinator positions, who can say he is getting the coaching and stability that would help him. The Panthers ownership has taken the place of the former Commodes Snyder as the worst owners in the NFL. That can't help. I also know that it's not Bryce's fault that they gave up all of that draft capital to get him. This kid has also been thrown into the fire on a team that has traded away their best assets.

I do not know if he is receptive to coaching. His size is suspect, but I heard Alex Smith say on the NFL channel (XM 88) that he is 6'4 and had problems seeing over the o line.

Bottom line, if Sean thinks he has it between the ears to make it at this level, I'm good with it. He definitely has the talent.