Broncos sign Russell Okung. Now Clady is on the trade block.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Report: Broncos OT Ryan Clady on trade block
4616.jpg

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos are expected to place OT Ryan Clady on the trade block after signing Russell Okung.

Clady, who missed all of 2015 with a torn ACL, will undoubtedly either be traded or released. The Broncos signed RT Donald Stephenson earlier in free agency to pair with Okung. Going on 30, Clady used to be one of the league's best players, but bookended a subpar 2014 with two injury ruined campaigns. He's due $19.5 million over the next two seasons. Any trade would almost certainly involve a restructure of his contract.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 17 - 4:17 PM

Broncos lasso Russell Okung with 5-year deal

5632.jpg

Broncos agreed to terms with LT Russell Okung, formerly of the Seahawks, on a five-year contract.

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the deal is worth $10.6 million per season, while Rapsheet says it could push $12 million. It's a massive chunk of change for a player who is often hurt — Okung is currently recovering from shoulder surgery — and has frequently underperformed. It speaks to how difficult it is to find a left tackle. Okung's addition means the Broncos will be moving on from Ryan Clady, either via trade or release. Clady missed all of 2015 with a torn ACL. Stop-gap Ryan Harris signed with the Steelers, so the Broncos will have little room for error with Okung's fragile health.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 17 - 4:09 PM

Psycho_X

Legend
I mean, aren't they basically replacing one recently underperforming, oft injured LT with another recently under performing, oft injured LT? I'm not sure what Denver gains here except if someone bites on a trade. I guess they basically sign Okung for about the same money for the same performance and hope his injuries stay in the games range instead of whole seasons lol. And get a draft pick out of it. /shrug

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With how much Russell Wilson has already been running for his life in this division and our Rams and the Cardinals at least are at least as good as last year if not better (I know we're going to be better with a healthy Quinn and I think Coples will be a huge upgrade over an injured/missing Long), I can't imagine Seattle thinking that they have their starting OT on their roster.

I can see letting Sweezy go. He wasn't a fit in the division, but they've now lost their entire left side from last year.

As far as FA stuff, I can't help, but think that Seattle has to give Clady a look. You'd think they have to.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I wonder if we'd consider trading for Clady. They were willing to cut him, so it won't take much. We could restructure him for a relatively team friendly deal, with heavy incentives. He'd start off on the bench, but he'd be Robinson insurance if Greg doesn't work out. Then we'd move Greg to guard, which we already know he can play, and we'd have a badass OL. If Greg pans out, we can let him go and he can go his own way.

I'm probably just crazy though. It makes sense in my head if the price is right.

Psycho_X

Legend
There's no reason for Clady to restructure so not sure why he would unless he really really wants out of Denver. If no one will trade for his salary, which why would anyone?, then Denver's options are to pay him to sit on the bench which they won't or cut him. Clady would be better off not restructuring so he can have control over where he goes next after getting cut. Might be a post June 1st cut... high risk, high reward candidate there for anyone desperate for a LT.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
They're gonna outpay you for your LT than make you trade for the same version of the player they just signed from you, suck it Seattle.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams look to be in good shape @ Left OT. They could have four prospects to that post with Robinson entering his 3rd, Saffold entering his 7th, Williams & Battle entering their 2nd seasons.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Rams look to be in good shape @ Left OT. They could have four prospects to that post with Robinson entering his 3rd, Saffold entering his 7th, Williams & Battle entering their 2nd seasons.

Hopefully Grob finally gets it together this year and plays like the overall #2 pick.Just in time to demand left tackle money the following year.So unless he turns into Orlando Pace someone needs to be groomed to take over for him.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Hopefully Grob finally gets it together this year and plays like the overall #2 pick.Just in time to demand left tackle money the following year.So unless he turns into Orlando Pace someone needs to be groomed to take over for him.
Demanding money? He's has a contract with a 5th year option . I don't understand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Seattle needs to start drafting better players. Since that fantastic 2012 draft they've done a fantastic job of stockpiling JAG's.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Well, he is making g an effort. Working with Bentley is a sign that he wants to improve, right?

Seattle needs to start drafting better players. Since that fantastic 2012 draft they've done a fantastic job of stockpiling JAG's.

Yeah, how about that? Schneider was being hailed as the next greatest GM. Now he is looking like a JAG. Believe that some of their early success came from Pete Carroll just coming from the college ranks. He knew the players better and could see things that you don't from the seats. Jimmy Johnson's early drafts were similarly successful when he entered the league. They seem to have come back to earth.

Same goes for Balke in San Francisco.

One guy who has made some good moves, and Fisher interviewed, is Steve Keim.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Demanding money? He's has a contract with a 5th year option . I don't understand.

A 5th year contact means nothing when they can hold out.As a top 10 1st rounder and having a good year you don't think he'll ask for more money in his 4th year.And even if he doesn't and has 2nd good year then he'll want top 3 OLT money.Bottom line I think this was a bad pick by Fisher to much if a project.I would of preferred to trade down and pickup 2-3 more premium picks.At least we would of had those players contributing from the get go.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okung is hot garbage that's barely healthier than Clady, personally I think they'd have been better off sticking with Clady.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Well, he is making g an effort. Working with Bentley is a sign that he wants to improve, right?

I'll agree with that it is a good sign I would've preferred he did that from the beginning. He knew he came from a system that would limit him initially. He probably relied on his athletic ability to get him through it.

Yeah, how about that? Schneider was being hailed as the next greatest GM. Now he is looking like a JAG. Believe that some of their early success came from Pete Carroll just coming from the college ranks. He knew the players better and could see things that you don't from the seats. Jimmy Johnson's early drafts were similarly successful when he entered the league. They seem to have come back to earth.

Same goes for Balke in San Francisco.

One guy who has made some good moves, and Fisher interviewed, is Steve Keim.

Psycho_X

Legend
A 5th year contact means nothing when they can hold out.As a top 10 1st rounder and having a good year you don't think he'll ask for more money in his 4th year.And even if he doesn't and has 2nd good year then he'll want top 3 OLT money.Bottom line I think this was a bad pick by Fisher to much if a project.I would of preferred to trade down and pickup 2-3 more premium picks.At least we would of had those players contributing from the get go.

I'm pretty sure the new cba does not allow rookie contracts to be renegotiated. One of the best things to come out of the new agreement, besides capping rookie contract amounts, was that rookies had to play out their contracts. And first round picks could be had on a fifth year option by the club that drafted them and the same applied to that 5th year.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I'm pretty sure the new cba does not allow rookie contracts to be renegotiated. One of the best things to come out of the new agreement, besides capping rookie contract amounts, was that rookies had to play out their contracts. And first round picks could be had on a fifth year option by the club that drafted them and the same applied to that 5th year.

Well if that's true and I'll take your word on it I stand corrected on the money part. Still didn't like the pick by Fisher to much of a project.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yeah, me too. IIRC he was quite young coming into the NFL. We all knew he was very raw and some reports were that he was not working as hard as he could/should. Maybe it was just immaturity.