Broncos create cap room ahead of draft. Room for Keenum?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Let's give the Broncos more credit and believe they can make room for Keenum AND Foles!
In this^ scenario, they better be willing to give up a 2nd & 3rd round Pick! And maybe throw in Von Miller!!:D:ROFLMAO:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Super Bowl champs really have got themselves a QB pickle, don't they?
If their not careful, they could very easily find themselves going from 1st to worst in their division!;)

WestCoastRam

Legend
Reasons Case will not be traded:

1) Neither Goff nor Wentz is believed by any analyst I've read or heard from to start day 1.
2) Mannion has not show he can manage an entire game yet.
3) Foles never even made the team meeting in LA. That bridge has been burned by both sides.

If, by some crazy chance, we got an offer of a high pick for him (ha!), I'd think you'd have to scramble to bring in a McCown or something.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They Broncos could always trade a pick and Sanchez for Keenum.

Edit: Sanchez in blue, because he may be the only former starter as disliked as Foles on this board.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Keenum's not going anywhere.

office-space.gif
15-Office-Space-quotes.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Am I dumb for wanting to hold on to Keenum? He's a great backup to have..

I'd trade him for the right price, but I have a LOT of confidence we can win games if he has to start early for our rookie or has to spell him for injury.

I am a Keenum fan.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I can't think of a team with a worse qb situation and I if I was Elway and could get Keenum for a 3rd and a 5th or even my 2nd round pick, fisher would never have to pay for sex again.

Keenum would easily win more games, this year, in that Denver offense than ANY qb in the draft. And case is better than any qb, for the near future, that would be available at the 31st pick. So, by trading for Case, Denver can get another starter with their first pick.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Trading Keenum would be foolish unless Mannion is on par or better then Keenum. They better get a lot for him in this market.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is - Keenum would be the best QB to start the season, and then backup, available to the Rams. So he has real value to the team.

However, he is a free agent after 2016 - and will be worth more to other teams than he is to the Rams, so he will be gone. The Rams will get some comp pick unless they end up signing more free agents, but it is highly unlikely he will be a Ram in 2017. So the question is - can the Rams get more in trade than he is worth to the Rams in 2016 plus the value of a potential comp pick? Oh, and let's not forget that trading him would save the Rams a few million in cap space either to get somebody this year, or to roll over for next year - that is a bonus too. So can the Rams get enough in trade that it and the cap savings is likely to be worth significantly more than Keenum's 2016 as opposed to another QB on the rosters 2016, and the possible comp pick? Add in that if it means Mannion gets more active time, it might increase his value in trade or compensation going forward.

I don't know. I don't know how much playing time Snisher expect the #1 pick to get out of the gate. I don't know what sort of offers are coming in. I especially don't know how they evaluate Keenum vs Foles with an offseason to get over 2015 vs Mannion with another offseason to prepare. I do suspect that it will take a nice trade offer - maybe not pick #63, but Denver's third plus later picks at least. That would allow the Rams to draft a receiver who might be able to contribute, at least.

…..

Legend
I'm not sure Elway and Snead would make good dancing partners. Generation Gap.

I look for Foles to be dealt elsewhere and Keenum kept as a cheaper alternative. The Rams may well end up eating a good portion of Foles' contract, but we can add an early day 3 pick as a result.

Of course, this is all just speculation, as is this entire thread.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams can't afford to let Keenum go. He's their bridge QB if the kid ain't ready. Only way the Broncs get him is if they sign him and surrender that last pick in round 1, and that is unlikely.

Broncos will get after a QB like Hogan, a guy who has a little pro system seasoning who can be available after Sanchez implodes.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure Elway and Snead would make good dancing partners. Generation Gap.

I look for Foles to be dealt elsewhere and Keenum kept as a cheaper alternative. The Rams may well end up eating a good portion of Foles' contract, but we can add an early day 3 pick as a result.

Of course, this is all just speculation, as is this entire thread.

Foles is cheaper than Keenum. The roster bonus for Foles is paid - it counts against the Rams regardless of what happens here on out. Keenum's game day salary is nearly $2 million more than Foles for 2016.

Despite that, Keenum likely has more trade value, given 2015 and how bad Foles looked as the season went along.

If Snead can get a 6th for Foles on his own - Snead will have done a fantastic job. The Rams wouldn't consider trading Keenum for anything close to that little.

Edit: To add on. Despite Foles being the starter with starter's reps, and a big contract, and the result of a big trade - he lost his job to Keenum, and Keenum looked much more like a QB who knew what he was doing for the Rams. Foles is a reclamation project - a guy a team might hope they can bring back to form enough to be a capable backup. Keenum looks like a decent backup who can manage a team's offense so that he at least isn't the cause of losing, though he hasn't looked like a guy who can overcome a big lead - i.e. a realistic starting option for QB poor teams with other stuff going for them. Teams will pay more for somebody who can come in and be counted on, than a guy who looked like Foles did from the Green Bay game on.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Foles is cheaper than Keenum. The roster bonus for Foles is paid - it counts against the Rams regardless of what happens here on out. Keenum's game day salary is nearly $2 million more than Foles for 2016.

Despite that, Keenum likely has more trade value, given 2015 and how bad Foles looked as the season went along.

If Snead can get a 6th for Foles on his own - Snead will have done a fantastic job. The Rams wouldn't consider trading Keenum for anything close to that little.
But would it make any sense for the Rams to protect Keenum with a first round tender if they had no intention of keeping him?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But would it make any sense for the Rams to protect Keenum with a first round tender if they had no intention of keeping him?

Depends on whether they expect the kid they draft to start ASAP. They spent a long time negotiating trying to get the draft pick, and couldn't be sure of getting it until they raised the offer and the Titans agreed. A late 2nd might not have been enough for them to give up their starter when they had Foles and Mannion backing up. If they view Keenum as a back up now, or that he soon will be, they might feel that getting a pick to grab a WR or TE might be worth it, especially since the cap savings might help them grab somebody else too.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Such good football talk. Thanks guys.
Came over from the STL forums. What a cluster that is. So refreshing to read good/smart football talk!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sure it would. If they we're going to release him anyway, they could have put a lower round tender on him and received a pick out of the deal.

But. Still can, I guess.