Broncos create cap room ahead of draft. Room for Keenum?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bron...reate-more-to-get-to-work-before-during-draft

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- After weeks of flirting with their salary cap limit -- dipping below $400,000 in space at one point -- the Denver Broncos are less than two weeks out from the draft with plenty of room to work with and the ability to create more financial room.

In the homestretch of their draft preparations, the Broncos closed the past week with $8.77 million worth of salary cap room, according to NFL Players Association figures. Much of that space was created when the Broncos traded tackle Ryan Clady to the New York Jets a week ago, a move that added $8.9 million worth of cap space.

Defensive end Jared Crick's deal officially went on the books this past week ($1.75 million against the cap for the 2016 season) and center Matt Paradis signed his exclusive rights tender this week ($525,000 against the cap), putting the Broncos at their current number. Because he signed his tender, Paradis, the only player on either offense or defense to play every snap for the Broncos in the regular season and postseason last year, can participate in the team’s offseason program that opens Monday.

The Clady trade gives the Broncos at least some flexibility as they finish their preparations for the draft. They are still on the lookout for a veteran quarterback, and players such as Josh McCown or Case Keenum could be shopped just before, or during the draft weekend because of the other moves each quarterback's respective team has made.

McCown is currently with the Cleveland Browns, who signed Robert Griffin III to be the team's starter (depending on what they do in the draft), and Keenum is one of three quarterbacks already on the roster of the Los Angeles Rams, who just made a mega-trade to move into the No. 1 spot where they will take a quarterback. The Broncos have the room to add either in a trade, as McCown's cap figure for 2016 is scheduled to be $5.042 million and Keenum's is scheduled to be $3.65 million.

The Broncos, who had less the $1 million in "dead money" -- salary-cap charges for players no longer on the roster -- just before free agency began, have taken on more than their usual amount. With the Clady trade, they now sit at $8.428 million in dead money, with Clady ($1.2 million), Louis Vasquez ($1.25 million), Owen Daniels ($2 million) and Peyton Manning ($2.5 million) comprising the bulk of that figure.

If the Broncos decide they need more cap room before, or during, the draft, they can easily carve out an additional $9.18 million worth of space by engaging a clause in wide receiver Demaryius Thomas' contract.

The clause, negotiated into Thomas’ deal last year, allows the Broncos to turn any portion of Thomas’ $13 million base salary into signing bonus. That would allow the Broncos to account for Thomas' cap figure differently and significantly lower the 2016 cap

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Let's give the Broncos more credit and believe they can make room for Keenum AND Foles!

Ram65

Legend
The plot thickens. Pluses and minuses for trading Keenum. He could start if the 'Rook" isn't ready or the Rams want to go a little slow at the beginning. Case would be a great long term backup for the Rams. Rams need some more picks and to move up a round or two. Mannion becomes backup and Foles goes anywhere else. Rams may know what they have in Mannion but there are questions until he gets more game action.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any trade for Keenum has to be for enough (since he at least would be the backup, if not starting the beginning of the season) to outweigh his value to the Rams and the value of the comp pick the Rams would get for him when he goes free agent. Given how contracts for QBs exploded this offseason, figure a mid round pick as a comp pick, plus the value Keenum has to the Rams now. So either the second, or their third and other picks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Keenum's not going anywhere.

office-space.gif

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
The plot thickens. Pluses and minuses for trading Keenum. He could start if the 'Rook" isn't ready or the Rams want to go a little slow at the beginning. Case would be a great long term backup for the Rams. Rams need some more picks and to move up a round or two. Mannion becomes backup and Foles goes anywhere else. Rams may know what they have in Mannion but there are questions until he gets more game action.

Honestly, it's hard for me to see Fisher going into this season without a veteran QB on the roster. Now--whether they see a deal too good to pass up for Keenum and decide to reluctantly hang on to Foles and cross their fingers, or whether they somehow unload Foles and keep Keenum--I would expect one of them to be there this year until they take the training wheels off of Wentz/Goff.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
I could see Keenum and Foles being traded. Mannion is back. Both QB's drafted in the first round last season started week 1. Unlikely for Fish to go that route, but the I remember the talk about not going into the last season with so many rookie OL, and look what happened. Rams could sure use the draft picks for players like Keenum and Foles that wont be with the team in 2017.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Keenum's not going anywhere.

@-X- marks the spot...Keenum will be the back-up to Wentz or Goff and Mannion will be number 3. Foles will be dealt and again, it could to Dallas or Kansas City and I hope for at the very minimum a 5th round selection.

And for those who are pro Goff let me fix this myself please...Keenum will be the back-up to Goff or Wentz.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Weren't they rumored to be going after Kaepernick last week, and it was just money that prevented the deal?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And for those who are pro Goff let me fix this myself please...Keenum will be the back-up to Goff or Wentz.
Of course. But probably not immediately. And before anyone gets crazy about that statement, let me clarify. You WANT a situation where Keenum can win you games while you methodically develop a guy like Wentz or Goff. In no scenario would it be unfavorable to be *able* to do it that way.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Broncos want Foles. K - now get Florio to quote me without actually saying who I am and it becomes a real possibility. Let's get this done.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
If it is Keenum it has to be a decent pick or no deal.Like it or not we're giving them our starting QB so they need to make it good.

jap

Legend
The Super Bowl champs really have got themselves a QB pickle, don't they?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The Super Bowl champs really have got themselves a QB pickle, don't they?
They went from having a HOF QB and groomed future starter to.....Nothing lol. Not in a pickle, straight up proper fucked. Now their options are kraperdink or....cook? Yup, proper fucked

jap

Legend
They went from having a HOF QB and groomed future starter to.....Nothing lol. Not in a pickle, straight up proper freaked. Now their options are kraperdink or....cook? Yup, proper freaked

Hell, if our Johnny wasn't an untouchable Pro Bowl punter, they may have been trying to hire him at QB. After all, he is the best special teams signal caller in the world. :ROFLMAO:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Hell, if our Johnny wasn't an untouchable Pro Bowl punter, they may have been trying to hire him at QB. After all, he is the best special teams signal caller in the world. :ROFLMAO:
Well stat wise, he is the best Rams Qb we've had in some years lol. Small sample size ofc but still.