Brian Thomas on the board at 19 and Bills calling

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
By-the-way ... Field Yates' Mock (out today) has the Rams selecting Chop Robinson at #19, with Byron Murphy, Jared Verse and Laiatu Latu ALL being drafted AFTER the Rams' selection.
That was my point @fanotodd ... I think Murphy, Verse and Latu AFTER Chop is kind of Kooky.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I prefer Newton, but Chop is a physical freak. He was a the heart and soul of a very good defense at PSU. He loves football and has a high IQ. He checks all of the Rams boxes imo.
1712195483043.png

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I disagree. I think he's the 1st defensive player off the board when all is said and done. If the Falcons have cleared him medically, I think he's a Falcon. I've given up the dream of him dropping to us at 19.

If Latu goes before Dallas Turner, the Rams should consider moving up for Turner

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
They had a lot of nerds last year, and still tried to trade up into round one

Actually this is not a deep draft. It’s a deep draft for players with round 1 grades. In many years there will only be around a dozen players or less with first round grades. Too many players stayed in college for the NIL deals. I hope the Rams don’t keep trading back a getting extra sixth rounders. It’s going to be much more difficult to get good players at the back end.

I’ve noticed that too. I think he’s a bit one dimensional. I’ve seen him mocked to the Eagles. But it is so hard to know what is true right now. We are in the heart of the misinformation campaigns.

One thing I heard from PFF is that the chance of getting a good edge rusher outside of round one is very low historically. The chance drops way off from round 1 to round 2 even. So, are Verse, Turner, Latu, and Chop really first round level in most drafts? None of them are slam dunks. That’s why you see them rated from 10-30.

My preference is still Johnny Newton but I think Chop Robinson is going to be as good, if not better than Verse or Turner. I wouldn’t be upset if the Rams ended up with him somewhere in round 1….unless Newton is still on the board.
Q Mitchell is the pipe dream but Newton is who I'm rooting we pick. The Rams defense can destroy pockets with the interior pass rush. Also think we can find an underrated DE later like we always seem to do hahaha

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Q Mitchell is the pipe dream but Newton is who I'm rooting we pick. The Rams defense can destroy pockets with the interior pass rush. Also think we can find an underrated DE later like we always seem to do hahaha
Agree, in that I think your best defenses can collapse the pocket with an inside rush. The best QBs can often get rid of it before an edge gets there. So if they are high on Murphy or Newton, I would prefer that, especially if you can trade back and get an extra top 75 pick.

jjab360

Legend
Actually this is not a deep draft. It’s a deep draft for players with round 1 grades. In many years there will only be around a dozen players or less with first round grades. Too many players stayed in college for the NIL deals. I hope the Rams don’t keep trading back a getting extra sixth rounders. It’s going to be much more difficult to get good players at the back end.
Interesting. I've paid more attention to the pre-draft process than in years past because we have more draft capital this year. From what I've seen of the prospects it looks to me like there's a lot of guys that would normally go in the first who will go in the second and second to the third, etc. It might drop off after that, I'm not sure.

If dropping from 19 to 28 is the difference between Jared Verse and Chop Robinson but then we get to pick up an additional WR prospect like Malachi Corley in the 3rd I would do it.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Not really interested. At #19 the Rams may still be at the tail end of the blue-chip player lane.
Move down to #28 and they are probably looking at red-chip players rated as 2nd - 3rd round talents.

Besides, the Bills don't have the mid 3rd round selection the draft chart calls for and I doubt they would be desperate to overpay and give up their 2nd rounder. Sure, both teams could swap a bunch of picks to come up with the value, but it's not worth it, IMO.
You're right that at #19 the Rams are at the end of the blue-chip players. I've seen several say that there are about 18-20 players with true 1st round grades. Even at #19, they may get a red-chip player versus a blue-chip one.

So...couldn't this be an argument for trading UP rather than trading back? If they trade up to say the 10-12 range, they assure themselves of a blue-chip talent with a much higher likelihood of the player being a difference maker. The type of player that years later is worth multiple 1st round draft picks in trade.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don’t see how all those guys are still on the board at 19 but if they are, I want to leverage the situation and get more than the chart says is equal value. After the Bills poaching Miller (thank you) they don’t get any lea way from me.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If the Bills want to move up, for us to risk losing out on Verse, Latu, and Newton, they better be giving us a first next year as well as theirs this year.

dang

Legend
You're right that at #19 the Rams are at the end of the blue-chip players. I've seen several say that there are about 18-20 players with true 1st round grades. Even at #19, they may get a red-chip player versus a blue-chip one.

So...couldn't this be an argument for trading UP rather than trading back? If they trade up to say the 10-12 range, they assure themselves of a blue-chip talent with a much higher likelihood of the player being a difference maker. The type of player that years later is worth multiple 1st round draft picks in trade.
Due to QB/OT needs some teams that draft before us will take a non-blue chip Player.
One teams “blue chip” is another teams “cow chip” but you have to believe there will be 3-4 ‘blue chips’ available at R1.19 if there are 18 total ‘blue chips’ available.