Brian Schottenheimer set to be named Seahawks OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...an-schottenheimer-set-to-be-named-seahawks-oc

Brian Schottenheimer set to be named Seahawks OC

The Seattle Seahawks are close to hiring a new offensive coordinator.

Former Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Brian Schottenheimer is expected to accept the Seahawks' offensive coordinator job, a source involved with the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll has offered Schottenheimer the job, and the two sides are working on the deal that is expected to be finalized soon, according to Rapoport. Schottenheimer was their top choice, and the Seahawks wanted to get him before other teams potentially offered him positions, Rapoport added.

ESPN first reported the development.

Schottenheimer's anticipated addition to the Seahawks' coaching staff comes less than a week after the team ended offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell's seven-year run in Seattle. Schottenheimer, 44, previously served as offensive coordinator for the New York Jets (2006-11) during their back-to-back trips to the AFC title game and was the Rams' OC from 2012-14.

Following his two-year stint with the Colts, Schottenheimer will be tasked with diversifying a Seattle offense that has been too dependent on quarterback Russell Wilson. The do-everything signal-caller became the first player in NFL history this past season to account for 100 percent of his team's passing yards while chalking up at least 30 percent of the squad's rushing yards.

Schottenheimer will try to accomplish that by injecting life into a ho-hum running game that was hampered by a committee of underwhelming performers in 2017. Seattle ranked 23rd in league rushing (101.8) and no one other than Wilson rushed for more than 250 yards on the ground. Injuries played a role, but Mike Davis, Chris Carson, J.D. McKissic and Eddie Lacy couldn't get the job done. Schottenheimer likely will have a few new players to work with in the backfield once general manager John Schneider tinkers the roster.

Although Schottenheimer's Colts offense fared better than the Seahawks on the ground -- thanks to the efforts of Frank Gore -- it remains to be seen if he'll be an upgrade over Bevell in helping Carroll's steer Seattle back into the playoffs.
" Way-to-Go Hag's, you now have a Chance to equal the Rams record from 2012-2014! Keep up the good work!!" :rolleyes::LOL::rolllaugh::mrburnsevil:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IDK, people keep making excuses for Shottenheimer and they have to realize he is just not very good....We'll see, he has everything he needs in Seattle to be effective and one of the upper echelon signal callers too, so let's see how this goes, but he was not that imaginative with the Jets or Rams and he lasted one year at Georgia, where they fired Mark Richt and then two years in Indianapolis with the firing of Pagano.

What do I see happening next year in Seattle with the kiss of death now calling offensive plays, Russell Wilson getting hurt and Austin Davis Quarterbacking with the Hawks finishing 6-10, Pete Carroll retiring and Shotty looking for work once again and some communicating that Schottenheimer still has never had a good QB to work with.
I think he did a great job with Brissett this year.
Hope the nay sayers are right and that this fails miserably.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ks-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-watch/

2018 draft picks.
  • Round 1: Seattle
  • Round 2: None
  • Round 3: None
  • Round 4: Seattle
  • Round 5: Houston, Oakland, New England
  • Round 6: None
  • Round 7: Seattle, N.Y. Jets, Minnesota, Philadelphia
-----
The Hags offense needed a change. That alone should help. They pick 18th this year in the draft. Looks like a big roster redo with not much in draft capital and cap space. Shotty hasn't had much to work with in the past. The Bradford injuries and a terrible roster. Hard to judge him on the past teams with no quarterbacks. Hags could have a nice vertical game if Wilson had time to throw. He has to fix the offensive line first. He has to find a running back to add to Mike Davis. He has his work cut out for him.
Shotty won't be able to do much with this^ kind of Draft capital! I would look for them to make some Big Trades in the Off-Season and in the Draft, IF they are to do anything!!

I also see them losing some key players to FA!!

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Doesn't matter who the OC is if the OL can't pass protect or run block and that is the situation facing the decaying SeaVultures.

Good luck Mr Shotty.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think he did a great job with Brissett this year.
Hope the nay sayers are right and that this fails miserably.

Not sure about that, Shotty just strikes me as an assistant coach that keeps getting jobs because of his name with limited success.... @dieterbrock there is a reason that the good looking lady with a pleasant personality is still single.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I remember being happy when Schotty got that college OC gig.

I also remember wishing he’d never left when it turned out he was a genius compared to those that followed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’d be careful with taking a victory lap here.
Shotty has never had a chance to work with a legit qb. And say what you will about the Colts, but Shotty had Brissett ready to play without any training camp or pre season and he played pretty well all things considered.
He may not have been the answer for the Rams but I don’t think he was the problem either.

He had that great idea of having a spread offense for four games. I am not impressed.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Schotty's neither the upper eschelon of play-callers nor the lowest of the low. I'm neither thrilled nor scared that they got him. I will say, I think a downfield passing game probably plays to Wilson's strengths though.

I'm not sure how good he really is at playing "on time" in a west-coast passing game.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He will be tasked with running an actual NFL offense with a "QB" that plays like a pop warner backyard running back. No one can be expected to get consistent results under those circumstances.

And I hope Wussel breaks both of his legs next season.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I’d be careful with taking a victory lap here.
Shotty has never had a chance to work with a legit qb. And say what you will about the Colts, but Shotty had Brissett ready to play without any training camp or pre season and he played pretty well all things considered.
He may not have been the answer for the Rams but I don’t think he was the problem either.

Same, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt knowing he's coached under Rex Ryan and Jeff Fisher. But his one-year run in Georgia leaves a lot to be desired

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Same, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt knowing he's coached under Rex Ryan and Jeff Fisher. But his one-year run in Georgia leaves a lot to be desired

Yep. I am ecstatic that Sheattle hired Schottenheimer. Their fans think Bevell was bad. He at least had good offenses in two different cities in his career. He was successful with Sheattle when they had a decent line and Lynch.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny. Who did they really hire?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He got robbed a couple of years back when Newton won it, and he really made the difference for SEA this year. But in 2015 he was robbed IMO, he was flat out robbed.

He was not robbed in 2015. Newton led the NFL with 35 passing TDs that year while also running for 10 TDs on a 15-1 Panthers team. He deserved the MVP that year.

Schotty took a lot of flak here, but he was far better than the two boobs who followed him (Boras and Cignetti). He's a below average to mediocre OC, but he's not truly terrible. IMO, the two biggest problems I saw with him were:
1. He refused to simplify his overly complex and confusing scheme; and
2. He was terrible at making in-game adjustments.
I remember Schotty's scripted plays being very effective, and as soon as he went away from the script, the offense would stall. He just wasn't good at making adjustments or situational play calling. Him and McVay are truly night and day. McVay has at least four or five plays per game where you recognize that McVay called the absolute perfect play for the defense that was called. I just don't ever remember that happening with Schotty. He never seemed to be one step ahead of the opposition.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't ever remember that happening with Schotty. He never seemed to be one step ahead of the opposition.

i expect the seagulls to come out and have a good first two drives for points. then he runs out of ideas.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
He'll script the 1st 15 to 20 plays of the game... and the shecocks' offense will move the ball fairly well.

Then... Schotty will have to call the plays live from the sideline based on what he sees from the opposing defense... that's when the shecocks' offense will go to SCHIT.

Sound familiar?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He was not robbed in 2015. Newton led the NFL with 35 passing TDs that year while also running for 10 TDs on a 15-1 Panthers team. He deserved the MVP that year.

No he did not lead the league. Brady did.

FYI Wilson had 34 TD passes. Completed a WAY higher % for more yards, ran for nearly as many yards, had more yards passing and running if we are counting, led the NFL with a 110 passer rating while playing on a team that was falling apart.

That team without Wilson doesn't sniff the playoffs that year.

I'm not saying Newton didn't have a good year, it was his best year in an ordinary career IMO.

But Wilson dragged that team on his back like he did this year.

Put Case Keenum on that Panthers team and they beat the Broncos. :)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except they didnt sputter early on, they scored 51 in their first 2 games...
Still and all, that spread and the pulling of it was all Fisher. This after spending big FA $$ on Cook, trading up for Tavon, and he pulls the plug after 4 games. As for Shotty, the plan change is a positive testament to his ability, not a negative. Bradford reached heights he never saw again with 2 TD per game and 5.4 TD % which hes never come close to again.