Brian Schottenheimer set to be named Seahawks OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...an-schottenheimer-set-to-be-named-seahawks-oc

Brian Schottenheimer set to be named Seahawks OC

The Seattle Seahawks are close to hiring a new offensive coordinator.

Former Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Brian Schottenheimer is expected to accept the Seahawks' offensive coordinator job, a source involved with the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll has offered Schottenheimer the job, and the two sides are working on the deal that is expected to be finalized soon, according to Rapoport. Schottenheimer was their top choice, and the Seahawks wanted to get him before other teams potentially offered him positions, Rapoport added.

ESPN first reported the development.

Schottenheimer's anticipated addition to the Seahawks' coaching staff comes less than a week after the team ended offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell's seven-year run in Seattle. Schottenheimer, 44, previously served as offensive coordinator for the New York Jets (2006-11) during their back-to-back trips to the AFC title game and was the Rams' OC from 2012-14.

Following his two-year stint with the Colts, Schottenheimer will be tasked with diversifying a Seattle offense that has been too dependent on quarterback Russell Wilson. The do-everything signal-caller became the first player in NFL history this past season to account for 100 percent of his team's passing yards while chalking up at least 30 percent of the squad's rushing yards.

Schottenheimer will try to accomplish that by injecting life into a ho-hum running game that was hampered by a committee of underwhelming performers in 2017. Seattle ranked 23rd in league rushing (101.8) and no one other than Wilson rushed for more than 250 yards on the ground. Injuries played a role, but Mike Davis, Chris Carson, J.D. McKissic and Eddie Lacy couldn't get the job done. Schottenheimer likely will have a few new players to work with in the backfield once general manager John Schneider tinkers the roster.

Although Schottenheimer's Colts offense fared better than the Seahawks on the ground -- thanks to the efforts of Frank Gore -- it remains to be seen if he'll be an upgrade over Bevell in helping Carroll's steer Seattle back into the playoffs.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
tenor.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schotty has a QB, so that's a good beginning

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ho-Hum hire. Hags have a lot to fix. Gonna be fun to watch how they try to fix finger pointing and locker room dysfuction.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d be careful with taking a victory lap here.
Shotty has never had a chance to work with a legit qb. And say what you will about the Colts, but Shotty had Brissett ready to play without any training camp or pre season and he played pretty well all things considered.
He may not have been the answer for the Rams but I don’t think he was the problem either.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I’d be careful with taking a victory lap here.
Shotty has never had a chance to work with a legit qb. And say what you will about the Colts, but Shotty had Brissett ready to play without any training camp or pre season and he played pretty well all things considered.
He may not have been the answer for the Rams but I don’t think he was the problem either.

I think that's fair, and coaches, like players, can get better with experience. He's had some bad experiences and some good ones. We can't assume anything at this point.

As Rams fans though we will be watching closely and hoping for what could be an implosion in SEA.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/po...-prospective-seahawks-oc-brian-schottenheimer
Four things to know about prospective Seahawks O-coordinator Brian Schottenheimer
The Seattle Seahawks have found their new offensive coordinator. As first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, the team is expected to hire Brian Schottenheimer as its replacement for Darrell Bevell, who was fired earlier this week after seven seasons with the team.

Here are four things to know about Schottenheimer:

1. His background is in the "Air Coryell" offense, named for Don Coryell, the innovative coach of the San Diego Chargers from 1978 to 1986. Hallmarks of the system are a healthy dose of vertical routes in the passing game and a power running game. That would be a departure from what Seattle used under Bevell and offensive line coach Tom Cable. Bevell's background is in the West Coast offense, and Cable, who coordinated Seattle's running game, ran a zone-blocking scheme.

2. Schottenheimer's first stint as an NFL offensive coordinator was with the Jets (2006-11) under Eric Mangini and then Rex Ryan, defensive-minded coaches who liked to run the ball. The same was true in his second O-coordinator stint, which was with the St. Louis Rams (2012-14) under Jeff Fisher. In that sense, he's entering a familiar situation in Seattle with Pete Carroll. The Seahawks have put more on Russell Wilson's plate over the years, particularly this past season due to the lack of a running game. But Carroll wants to run the ball. It's in his DNA. Under Schottenheimer, the Jets ranked between first and ninth in rushing from 2008 to 2010 and were between 19th and 22nd in his other three seasons. The Rams were 19th, 19th and 20th in rushing under Schottenheimer.

3. Wilson will be the best quarterback Schottenheimer has worked with in a while, at least in the coordinator role. He's been a position coach for Drew Brees and Andrew Luck but hasn't been as fortunate with the quarterbacks he has had as an offensive coordinator. That list does include Brett Favre, but that was for only one season -- 2008 -- and it came under some challenging circumstances, with the Jets having to scrap their planned offense at the last minute to tailor it to Favre once he was acquired in August.

Schottenheimer's other starting QBs with the Jets were Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez. While Schottenheimer was with the Rams, Sam Bradford missed 25 games because of two ACL tears, forcing Clemens and Austin Davis -- Seattle's 2017 backup -- into the starting lineup. That list of names should be considered as context, as those offenses generally did not produce impressive results under Schottenheimer's direction.

4. Schottenheimer, the son of longtime NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer, was a quarterback in his playing days. He began his college career at Kansas before transferring to Florida, where he served as a backup to Danny Wuerffel from 1994 to 1996 (his stats in limited action weren't bad: 20 games, 25-of-40 passing for 290 yards, two touchdown, no interceptions and a 139.9 rating). He has said before that he realized he wanted to get into coaching when he was a freshman in college and that he had that in mind when he transferred from Kansas.

"I knew I wasn't a good enough player to play at the next level," he told the Colts' website. "I decided to go transfer some place where I knew I could learn from a strong passing-minded coach. That's why I chose Coach [Steve] Spurrier down at Florida."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shotty has never had a chance to work with a legit qb.

Or is his offensive scheme just average? Because at most every stop that’s been the high end for Schottenheimer.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends what he asks him to do.
Asking his to stand in the pocket will likely have a negative affect.....unless they develop a good running game.
Wilson is d@mn good regardless. The Dude is a winner, period, as much as I want Donald to destroy him. Without RW, the Hawks would have been lucky to win 5 games this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wilson is d@mn good regardless. The Dude is a winner, period, as much as I want Donald to destroy him. Without RW, the Hawks would have been lucky to win 5 games this year.
I agree.
I think he was the real MVP (or one of them) this year.
He can be a pocket guy but for the last couple of years he makes most of his big plays buying time and finding guys downfield.

Ellard80

Legend
Hard for me to see how their offense would really change that much... their best weapon is still Russell running around in circles then making a big play.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ks-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-watch/

2018 draft picks.
  • Round 1: Seattle
  • Round 2: None
  • Round 3: None
  • Round 4: Seattle
  • Round 5: Houston, Oakland, New England
  • Round 6: None
  • Round 7: Seattle, N.Y. Jets, Minnesota, Philadelphia
-----
The Hags offense needed a change. That alone should help. They pick 18th this year in the draft. Looks like a big roster redo with not much in draft capital and cap space. Shotty hasn't had much to work with in the past. The Bradford injuries and a terrible roster. Hard to judge him on the past teams with no quarterbacks. Hags could have a nice vertical game if Wilson had time to throw. He has to fix the offensive line first. He has to find a running back to add to Mike Davis. He has his work cut out for him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

For sure, that team is shit without him this year..........

I think he was the real MVP (or one of them) this year.

He got robbed a couple of years back when Newton won it, and he really made the difference for SEA this year. But in 2015 he was robbed IMO, he was flat out robbed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Schottenheimer had a couple of okay seasons with the Jets, but did not end well, same in St. Louis at the University of Georgia and most recently Indianpolis, IMHO, he is the kiss of death, Schottenheimer is to Head Coaches what Robert Lincoln was to Presidents...Goodbye Pete Carroll.

IMO, the reason Shotty was hired is, Seattle feels Schottenheimer has overseen very good running games, he did that in New York with the Jets and the Rams ran the ball decently with Jackson getting over 1000 yards in 2012 and Zac Stacy running for 973 yards in 2013 followed by the triumphant of Mason, Stacy & Cunningham going well over 1000 in 2014 so that is what Seattle is looking at a Coordinator that has had success coaching up a running game, however, what they missed is Shotty is totally one dimensional and does not posses a creative bone in his body..Brian Schottenheimer will be to Pete Carroll what Larry Marmie was to Mike Martz IMHO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or is his offensive scheme just average? Because at most every stop that’s been the high end for Schottenheimer.
Have any of the qb he’s had to work with done anything elsewhere? Bradford played some of his best football before getting injured under Shotty. And his offense was around #20 not the 30’s. Have Mark Sanchez, Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill and Austin Davis knocked it out of the park elsewhere?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have any of the qb he’s had to work with done anything elsewhere? Bradford played some of his best football before getting injured under Shotty. And his offense was around #20 not the 30’s. Have Mark Sanchez, Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill and Austin Davis knocked it out of the park elsewhere?

I hear you.

Maybe it is the QB play.

I just know his offenses aren’t exactly setting the world on fire.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

IDK, people keep making excuses for Shottenheimer and they have to realize he is just not very good....We'll see, he has everything he needs in Seattle to be effective and one of the upper echelon signal callers too, so let's see how this goes, but he was not that imaginative with the Jets or Rams and he lasted one year at Georgia, where they fired Mark Richt and then two years in Indianapolis with the firing of Pagano.

What do I see happening next year in Seattle with the kiss of death now calling offensive plays, Russell Wilson getting hurt and Austin Davis Quarterbacking with the Hawks finishing 6-10, Pete Carroll retiring and Shotty looking for work once again and some communicating that Schottenheimer still has never had a good QB to work with.