Brian Allen might be the centerpiece of Rams’ draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

Whicker: Brian Allen might be the centerpiece of Rams’ draft

nfl_draft_football_25913893.jpg

Los Angels Rams fans cheer during the NFL football draft in Arlington, Texas, Saturday, April 28, 2018. (Jae S. Lee/The Dallas Morning News via AP)
By Mark Whicker | mwhicker@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: April 28, 2018 at 8:18 pm | UPDATED: April 29, 2018 at 11:43 am
THOUSAND OAKS — “The basement” has become a metaphor for cyber-driven dysfunction, a teenage wasteland below ground.

The Allen basement, in Hinsdale, Ill., is an exception.

It is the headwater for a long stream of large people in Michigan State uniforms.

On Saturday, it contributed its second son to the NFL.

Brian Allen, Spartan center for four years and the king of the high school mat in his time, was the first of the Rams’ fourth-round picks on Saturday.

His older brother Jack was undrafted after his Michigan State career but made the New Orleans roster in 2016 anyway.

His younger brother Matt is a redshirt freshman in East Lansing and was the top recruit among centers in the Midwest.

Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio was asked to compare Jack to Brian.

“I don’t really like to do that,” he said, “especially in this case, because one of them will get mad at me.”

Dantonio has been to the basement.

“There’s a wrestling mat down there,” he said. “There’s a three-year gap between all the brothers, so they get after it. For us, we’ve had an Allen in the program since 2011 and we’ll have one until 2020. So that’s pretty good.

“When we go to the house, they already know what we’re all about and what our direction is.”

Offensive line coach Mark Staten has gone down those steps, too.

“There’s holes in the wall, they’ve had to get people to come down and work on the sheetrock,” Staten said. ‘It’s about what you’d expect with three brothers like that.”

All three Hinsdale Central wrestlers won Illinois state championships. Brian was the first to get medals all four years. He went 49-0 as a junior, 45-2 as a senior.

John, the father, wrestled at Purdue. Jim Zajicek, John’s stepbrother, was an assistant wrestling coach at Hinsdale Central.

Brian also won the state shot put title and, in football, played on both sides. He was a starting guard alongside Jack as a freshman at East Lansing, moved to center when Jack left, and started his final 28 games for the Spartans, including a blowout win over Washington State in the Holiday Bowl.

Pro Football Focus, in its draft guide, praised Allen’s low stance and noted that he was “never overmatched” in any MSU game.

It also knocked his athleticism and said he was undersized, even though he lists at 6-foot-2, 302.

Staten, who played with Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer at Miami of Ohio, says the mat has a way of equalizing all that. Wrestling is the extracurricular activity that football coaches want to see on the worksheet. It identifies want-to, and exposes fear.

“There’s no excuse when you wrestle,” Staten said. “You’re either winning or you’re losing. It’s that one-on-one thing that you have to have when you’re lined up. And you also pick up a lot off things about the physical angles and the leverage.

“Brian learned from his brother. He was our team captain. He knew when to put a boot up somebody’s (backside) and when to put his arm around somebody. He played with a hip problem and some other things, but it was hard to tell because he’d never admit it.”

An NFL scout tabbed Allen “the bully of the Big 10,” but then nobody picked him in the first two days of this draft. It brought up brief nightmares from Jack’s undrafted year. Brian had said beforehand that he would hold no draft party.

“I’ll probably just hang out with the family and sit on the couch like a loser,” he said. “Expect the worst, hope for the best.”

He even pointed out to Staten that he had an extra year of eligibility he could use on wrestling. Academics weren’t a problem, since Allen was a 3.3 economics student.

Roger Chandler, the wrestling coach, had suggested that very thing for years..

“I told Brian to forget it, you’re going to be playing football,” Staten said.

Allen got clarification, in his mind, when he came to Thousand Oaks. “I was telling my agent today that I thought the Rams would take me,” he said.

The current center, John Sullivan, signed a two-year extension, but turns 33 during training camp. The Rams dare not pretend they can get through another 16-game season without a sidelining injury to a starting lineman.

They drafted 10 of their 11 players on Saturday alone. Even a tape freak like Rams general manager Les Snead risked eyestrain.

“But if you’ve been watching football players all fall and December, February and April and you’re kind of dozing off,” Snead said, “you put the Michigan State center on film.”

Soon the basement will be appearing on the Coliseum floor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope the kid becomes a superstar and proves all of us who doubted him (including myself) wrong.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good stuff thanks for sharing! Pulling for him bigtime, liked him coming into the draft and glad he's a Ram.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Suh, Donald, Brockers & Easley should provide quite the test.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Suh, Donald, Brockers & Easley should provide quite the test.
And remember, what I said for Notebloom holds potentially for him. McVay and Kromer gave Whitworth and Sullivan and sometimes Saffold the first practice day of the week off every week this year. These young guys unlike some drafted to be developed will be getting first team reps every week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hated the pick. He could have gone much later. But Olinemen are in high demand and after a bunch of OTs got picked in round 3 we started to see some Centers and guards. I think Snead wanted this guy, but may have taken him later. With the need for Olinemen in the NFL everyone values the position more than ever.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I don't doubt this guy at all. Has the pedigree, experience, "want to", chip on the shoulder .. blue collar attitude, that is the make up of most great OL. Height and shorter arms.. the aforementioned can overcome that easily

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
This guy is actually my favorite pick. By next year he could be starting, then for ten years after that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think Snead wanted this guy, but may have taken him later.

I'm guessing Kromer more than Snead on this one. As stated in the article, Allen's OL coach Staten played with Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer at Miami of Ohio.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Whicker: Brian Allen might be the centerpiece of Rams’ draft

nfl_draft_football_25913893.jpg

Los Angels Rams fans cheer during the NFL football draft in Arlington, Texas, Saturday, April 28, 2018. (Jae S. Lee/The Dallas Morning News via AP)
By Mark Whicker | mwhicker@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: April 28, 2018 at 8:18 pm | UPDATED: April 29, 2018 at 11:43 am
THOUSAND OAKS — “The basement” has become a metaphor for cyber-driven dysfunction, a teenage wasteland below ground.

The Allen basement, in Hinsdale, Ill., is an exception.

It is the headwater for a long stream of large people in Michigan State uniforms.

On Saturday, it contributed its second son to the NFL.

Brian Allen, Spartan center for four years and the king of the high school mat in his time, was the first of the Rams’ fourth-round picks on Saturday.

His older brother Jack was undrafted after his Michigan State career but made the New Orleans roster in 2016 anyway.

His younger brother Matt is a redshirt freshman in East Lansing and was the top recruit among centers in the Midwest.

Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio was asked to compare Jack to Brian.

“I don’t really like to do that,” he said, “especially in this case, because one of them will get mad at me.”

Dantonio has been to the basement.

“There’s a wrestling mat down there,” he said. “There’s a three-year gap between all the brothers, so they get after it. For us, we’ve had an Allen in the program since 2011 and we’ll have one until 2020. So that’s pretty good.

“When we go to the house, they already know what we’re all about and what our direction is.”

Offensive line coach Mark Staten has gone down those steps, too.

“There’s holes in the wall, they’ve had to get people to come down and work on the sheetrock,” Staten said. ‘It’s about what you’d expect with three brothers like that.”

All three Hinsdale Central wrestlers won Illinois state championships. Brian was the first to get medals all four years. He went 49-0 as a junior, 45-2 as a senior.

John, the father, wrestled at Purdue. Jim Zajicek, John’s stepbrother, was an assistant wrestling coach at Hinsdale Central.

Brian also won the state shot put title and, in football, played on both sides. He was a starting guard alongside Jack as a freshman at East Lansing, moved to center when Jack left, and started his final 28 games for the Spartans, including a blowout win over Washington State in the Holiday Bowl.

Pro Football Focus, in its draft guide, praised Allen’s low stance and noted that he was “never overmatched” in any MSU game.

It also knocked his athleticism and said he was undersized, even though he lists at 6-foot-2, 302.

Staten, who played with Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer at Miami of Ohio, says the mat has a way of equalizing all that. Wrestling is the extracurricular activity that football coaches want to see on the worksheet. It identifies want-to, and exposes fear.

“There’s no excuse when you wrestle,” Staten said. “You’re either winning or you’re losing. It’s that one-on-one thing that you have to have when you’re lined up. And you also pick up a lot off things about the physical angles and the leverage.

“Brian learned from his brother. He was our team captain. He knew when to put a boot up somebody’s (backside) and when to put his arm around somebody. He played with a hip problem and some other things, but it was hard to tell because he’d never admit it.”

An NFL scout tabbed Allen “the bully of the Big 10,” but then nobody picked him in the first two days of this draft. It brought up brief nightmares from Jack’s undrafted year. Brian had said beforehand that he would hold no draft party.

“I’ll probably just hang out with the family and sit on the couch like a loser,” he said. “Expect the worst, hope for the best.”

He even pointed out to Staten that he had an extra year of eligibility he could use on wrestling. Academics weren’t a problem, since Allen was a 3.3 economics student.

Roger Chandler, the wrestling coach, had suggested that very thing for years..

“I told Brian to forget it, you’re going to be playing football,” Staten said.

Allen got clarification, in his mind, when he came to Thousand Oaks. “I was telling my agent today that I thought the Rams would take me,” he said.

The current center, John Sullivan, signed a two-year extension, but turns 33 during training camp. The Rams dare not pretend they can get through another 16-game season without a sidelining injury to a starting lineman.

They drafted 10 of their 11 players on Saturday alone. Even a tape freak like Rams general manager Les Snead risked eyestrain.

“But if you’ve been watching football players all fall and December, February and April and you’re kind of dozing off,” Snead said, “you put the Michigan State center on film.”

Soon the basement will be appearing on the Coliseum floor.

I like the pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm guessing Kromer more than Snead on this one. As stated in the article, Allen's OL coach Staten played with Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer at Miami of Ohio.

Runs on positions can force GMs to make pick sooner than they may have planned.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And we fan prognosticators assign a value on players which doesn't always jive with the teams values especially on guys outside of the first couple of rounds. Then we assume the worst of the team, myself included, without figuring out why the team valued them more than we did.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't quite get the reasoning. If we picked him "too early" and yet it was done because of a "run" on Oline, doesn't that mean the market composed of GM's, set level of value? Doesn't that mean that demand met value.?

jap

Legend
This guy is actually my favorite pick. By next year he could be starting, then for ten years after that.

If he is smart enough to pick up defensive schemes quickly and handle the OL blocking assignment calls early on, he will be a real boon to the team. He will have a terrific mentor in Sully and a master teacher in Aaron Kromer.

This is really interesting and harmoniously sweet. Kromer sought out Andrew Whitworth as our veteran LT and Sully as our veteran center to anchor our 2017 OL. They started off the 2018 draft by acquiring their possible eventual replacements. You want that skilled, dancing bear at LT to protect the QB's blind side and that smart center making the OL line calls and guarding the most direct path to the QB. These two picks may very well end up being the future anchors of our OL. The struggles of the Gurley Man and our QBs in 2016 severely underlined the importance of a solid OL group, and I love the fact that our coaching brass sought to address that early on.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I hated the pick. He could have gone much later. But Olinemen are in high demand and after a bunch of OTs got picked in round 3 we started to see some Centers and guards. I think Snead wanted this guy, but may have taken him later. With the need for Olinemen in the NFL everyone values the position more than ever.

Yeah, its possible he coulda been had later. But by the time you get to the 3rd day You never know what teams value certain players. The Rams staff have a certain type of player in mind to fit their system. Allen was one of those.

So here we are in the 4th round. We have a guy targeted that may or may not be there later. Plus, its not like there's other can't miss guys by then. If you graded him higher and you like him for the fit, go ahead and take him. So what if its a bit of a reach. You want to make sure you get your guy.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, its possible he coulda been had later. But by the time you get to the 3rd day You never know what teams value certain players. The Rams staff have a certain type of player in mind to fit their system. Allen was one of those.

So here we are in the 4th round. We have a guy targeted that may or may not be there later. Plus, its not like there's other can't miss guys by then. If you graded him higher and you like him for the fit, go ahead and take him. So what if its a bit of a reach. You want to make sure you get your guy.

exactly. if they love the guy and wanted to make sure they got him who cares if they picked him earlier than anticipated. it was the 4th round. they obviously like this guy more than anyone else available at that time. and a position that needed upgrading once sullivan leaves the team. my hope is he has 2 years to get ready to become a full time starter but if the rams need cap space and have to let sullivan go next season then that's the way it's gotta be.

TexasRam

Legend
I like this guys potential as a center in our scheme. He can play some backup guard as well as he played a lot of snaps at guard.

I like what I saw on tape, he really moves big bodies with ease. Good lockon with hands as well. May be limited with the smaller arms and wingspan in pass protection but I see quickness in his feet despite what I read on the scouting reports.

Ram65

Legend
Rams really liked him. They obviously placed a higher grade on him than mockers/evaluators. He does play like Sullivan not as powerful yet. He didn't get blown away in video I looked at. He has good technique. I would like having a power center but, Rams didn't have early picks available.

Could the Rams have waited a year to draft an OC early in the draft?

I guess they could but, this gives them extra insurance for Sullivan and the rest of the offensive line now. Blythe gets more chances at OG. The Rams got their guy at a very reasonable cost of a fourth round draft pick.

And remember, what I said for Notebloom holds potentially for him. McVay and Kromer gave Whitworth and Sullivan and sometimes Saffold the first practice day of the week off every week this year. These young guys unlike some drafted to be developed will be getting first team reps every week.

Good point. These guys will get a nice head start to being ready to take over when needed.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Allen is a bulldog wrestler. Plays low, hardly ever gets out leveradged, tenacious. I can't wait to see him against Suh, AD and Brockers. 302lbs. now , but hell I can put on ten pounds in a week just by hitting the all-u-can eat buffet every nite. Pretty sure Allen can bulk up a bit before season starts.