Brandt: Rams Think Jamon Brown Has Pro Bowl Potential

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if there is any basis for being able to tell how good or bad these guys will be. They haven't even put on pads yet, have they?

Maybe he's getting into the right position most of the time. Good in the classroom? Already practices like a pro? Maybe the coaches know from past experience what good and bad players look like from the get go.

RamWoodie

Legend
It's just good to see the Rams BUILDING the OLine with youth...and it *seems* to be the way to go because if you put in the work and grow these guys together they develop chemistry together.

I have my eye on Havenstein...but call me biased because I'm a Big Ten guy...(y)

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I would love for the Rams to keep all of their promising young lineman and develop them but the reality is that it will be extremely hard for the Rams to fit more than 10 offensive lineman on the roster this year and keeping 10 may be a stretch. Unless Mannion shows he is ready to be a true backup day one then the Rams are keeping three QB's. In the past three seasons under Fisher the Rams have usually only kept two QB's on the Roster most of the time. Only keeping two QB has allowed the team to keep that extra special teams player and/or the extra developmental player like a 9th D-lineman or a 10th O-lineman but this year keeping that third QB will cost the Rams a slot somewhere else.

General Roster Makeup of Rams' teams under Fisher
QB (2) - Short period with 3 after Hill's injury
RB (5)
TE (4) - Had 5 at end of the season
WR (5) - Had 4 for a stretch last season and they have kept 6 a times which is the league norm
OL (9) - They did keep 10 for part of last season
DL (9) - 8 is the league norm but the Rams have such talent an depth here
LB (6) - Started the season with only 5 but that is risky and this where they often get ST guys.
CB (5) - Have had as few as 4 but this unit always seems to get banged up at times they have had to carry a 6th
S (5)
ST (3)
53 Total

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This 2015 season Snead/Fisher sure went after OL'ers who had a ton of starting experience. In addition these rookies have serious OT experience attached. Havenstein pure ORT, Brown primarily OLT/ORT, Donnal ORT/OLT, Wichmann mostly OG with some ORT, Battles OT, Williams OT. Have I made my point here.

Boudreau's current plan appears to move Brown from OLT to ORG. Boudreau has a history of doing this. Harvey Dahl was a OT till he met Boudreau. Garrett Reynolds was a OT till Boudreau move him to OG in ATL. Justin Blalock was primarily a OT in colleg till Boudreau moved him to OLG where he had many all pro seasons. Saffold was a OLT/ORT till Boudreau move him to a OG. Brandon Washington was a OLT until Boudreau move him to OLG/ORG. Mike Person was a ORT until Boudreau moved him to OLG.

I think Boudreau desires Ol'ers like listed above over those just pure OG prospects.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I would love for the Rams to keep all of their promising young lineman and develop them but the reality is that it will be extremely hard for the Rams to fit more than 10 offensive lineman on the roster this year and keeping 10 may be a stretch. Unless Mannion shows he is ready to be a true backup day one then the Rams are keeping three QB's. In the past three seasons under Fisher the Rams have usually only kept two QB's on the Roster most of the time. Only keeping two QB has allowed the team to keep that extra special teams player and/or the extra developmental player like a 9th D-lineman or a 10th O-lineman but this year keeping that third QB will cost the Rams a slot somewhere else.

General Roster Makeup of Rams' teams under Fisher
QB (2) - Short period with 3 after Hill's injury
RB (5)
TE (4) - Had 5 at end of the season
WR (5) - Had 4 for a stretch last season and they have kept 6 a times which is the league norm
OL (9) - They did keep 10 for part of last season
DL (9) - 8 is the league norm but the Rams have such talent an depth here
LB (6) - Started the season with only 5 but that is risky and this where they often get ST guys.
CB (5) - Have had as few as 4 but this unit always seems to get banged up at times they have had to carry a 6th
S (5)
ST (3)
53 Total

Great analysis, Noregar.

No question that there will be painful decisions necessary at final cutdown. Very, very painful.

But I think that there are a couple of things that we can count on.

We keep 3 QB's this year. No brainer.

We keep a minimum of 10 OL players. Maybe even 11 now with the addition of Battle. Too much uncertainty not to do so.

So the necessary extra 2-3 cuts will simply have to come from other position groups.

Could Chase Reynolds finally be a casualty of the numbers game? Perhaps another stud ST player that can also see the field supplant him?

Like I said, it's gonna be painful. We will be forced to cut some promising young players to get down to the final 53. I sure don't envy them that job.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Like I said, it's gonna be painful. We will be forced to cut some promising young players to get down to the final 53. I sure don't envy them that job.

Very true! There will be some tough cuts be made at the end of camp and probably a few surprises we are not expecting. Unfortunately injuries often help sort things out.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If Jamon Brown is playing at pro bowl level with elite run blockers in Robinson, Saffold, and run blocking being Havensteins strength then Gurley and Mason will both be rushing for 1000 yards this season.

and thats just in Week 3 ;)