Brandon Staley's job security

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agreed - super terrible coach!!! Going for it 5 times on 4th down and not making it once instead of kicking FGs.
You know he is a awful coach when he has that much talent and squanders all those games.
IDK I like Staley, however, his decisions were questionable his first year, but in the beginning they did pay off and his team blew a huge lead in post season. If Staley does not get a playoff win this year, he will more then likely be gone. I still like him as a Head Coach, however, it is time for his team to rise.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Renter lover!
Kendrick Lamar Money GIF

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah... that's not what "undersized" means.

Isaac Bruce was smaller than Van Jefferson. Torry Holt was about the same size as him. Nobody called them "undersized."

Van Jefferson may not be the player that you, other fans, or the Rams hoped he'd be (I'd say the jury is still out), but he's not "undersized" for the position.

Tutu, on the other hand...

I hear you. I'm also expecting Van to have a breakout-type year. He's due for it. He's definitely going to get a lot of deep routes schemed up for him. Then we'll all be talking about how much it gonna cost to keep him. Those are going to be good conversations to have.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I posted in another thread recently; the Chargers have 4 players with cap hits >$30M in 2024… and they need to extend Herbert on top of that.

Staley needs to win this year. That team will need to absorb some losses next year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I posted in another thread recently; the Chargers have 4 players with cap hits >$30M in 2024… and they need to extend Herbert on top of that.

Staley needs to win this year. That team will need to absorb some losses next year.

Good Observation.

Veterans that could well be cap casualties in 2024 include Keenan Allen, Khalil Mack, Corey Linsley and our old friend Sebastian Joseph-Day. That won't get them under the cap but would get them close..

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Chargers will once again hover around 500. It's what they do. Herbert isn't gonna change that.

dang

Legend
Yeah... that's not what "undersized" means.

Isaac Bruce was smaller than Van Jefferson. Torry Holt was about the same size as him. Nobody called them "undersized."

Van Jefferson may not be the player that you, other fans, or the Rams hoped he'd be (I'd say the jury is still out), but he's not "undersized" for the position.

Tutu, on the other hand...
Jefferson plays small with speed and good route running - but very limited physicality.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been saying it for months, if the Chargers don't go deep into the playoffs, Herbert will demand a trade and Spanos would have to tag him in 2025 which I don't think Dean has the money to do it. Next year will be Herbert's 5th year option, and his value will be at it's peak. Spanos would probably be open to a trade.

The Rams would be instant Super Bowl contenders for years with Herbert. He's exactly the gunslinger type QB McVay loves. It would be even bigger than the Stafford trade.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah... I can't find anyone that is actually keeping or demonstrating that stat.

I also don't know that comparing Van to the likes of a Keenan Allen or Williams is a fair comparison to make.
Regardless, if someone is providing that stat, I'd like to see it.

We all would like to see more physicality out of Van, but there are a lot of receivers with pretty good production where that is just not their forte. Torry Holt was obviously a great receiver but he was very averse to contact through most of his career. And even that is a bad comparison.

I think we'd all love for Van to be viewed in the same light as a Keenan, Williams, or Tory. But that ain't happening.

Van is a body catching, stretch the field type receiver. But he's pretty damn good for a #3 or potentially #2 receiver IMO.

Hopefully we see him "break out" this season. Guess we'll see.

This all said, I meant no disrespect to @OnceARam with my question.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been saying it for months, if the Chargers don't go deep into the playoffs, Herbert will demand a trade and Spanos would have to tag him in 2025 which I don't think Dean has the money to do it.
And no matter how many times you say it, and are corrected, it doesnt sink in.
"Spanos not having the money" is one of the silliest statements, because if he cant afford the salary cap, he cant afford the team. He can afford to pay Herbert whatever he wants and thanks to the salary cap, he can only pay the rest of the team what is left.
Herbert more than likely will sign his extension this season

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah... I can't find anyone that is actually keeping or demonstrating that stat.
The subjective things like determining when a player should go up for a ball are really hard to quantify. So it's a fair question.

But I agree with the take that Van is a bit too passive, or has been thus far in his young career. I presume if there was an accurate stat for that he'd be pretty low on the list too. So if Yarbs can get him to improve on that front then he definitely has the talent to be a top possession wideout who can also beat you deep. That plus staying healthy of course. I'm hopeful for sure for this year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And no matter how many times you say it, and are corrected, it doesnt sink in.
"Spanos not having the money" is one of the silliest statements, because if he cant afford the salary cap, he cant afford the team. He can afford to pay Herbert whatever he wants and thanks to the salary cap, he can only pay the rest of the team what is left.
Herbert more than likely will sign his extension this season
Being a cash-poor owner does have its disadvantages, though.. and we don’t know what that could mean, long-term.
Remember.. they have to put the cash for guaranteed money in escrow when the contract is signed. With the massive numbers being dropped for QBs, that’s no small thing.
It will be interesting to watch the battles between super rich owners and others in coming years. The NBA is already looking at limiting non-player spending to reduce competitive disparities.
I will say.. the one guy who could afford to easily buy the Chargers is building an arena right across the street from SOFI.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
1) williams and allen are getting old and are already too banged up to see the field TOGETHER that often. Drafting a WR this year was a good start, but not enough. Herbert needs weapons. Calling plays like your Mike Martz won’t matter if you don’t have top end WRs.
2) run game? Do the chargers have one? They need one to promote the play action game. See every successful offense in the NFL, despite it being a passing league now. It doesn’t have to be ground Chuck, but it has to be enough to get into the defense’s head.
3) maybe staley ends up being the type of coach who is a better DC than HC like spags was/is.
4) maybe staley ends up being one of those HCs that need a 2nd tour to apply what they learned the first time around—like arians and billacheat or that fossil in seattle.
The list of HCs that won SBs after their first job is impressive:
besides the three aforementioned, there’s reid, and our own Dick Vermeil.

dang

Legend

I also don't know that comparing Van to the likes of a Keenan Allen or Williams is a fair comparison to make.
Regardless, if someone is providing that stat, I'd like to see it.

We all would like to see more physicality out of Van, but there are a lot of receivers with pretty good production where that is just not their forte. Torry Holt was obviously a great receiver but he was very averse to contact through most of his career. And even that is a bad comparison.

I think we'd all love for Van to be viewed in the same light as a Keenan, Williams, or Tory. But that ain't happening.

Van is a body catching, stretch the field type receiver. But he's pretty damn good for a #3 or potentially #2 receiver IMO.

Hopefully we see him "break out" this season. Guess we'll see.

This all said, I meant no disrespect to @OnceARam with my question.
So far…a decent #3/ Below average #2. But he has a chance to improve that in 2023.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Net Worth and Slot of NFL Owners​

#22 Dean Spanos, Los Angeles Chargers​

In 1960, Dean’s father, Alex, founded AG Spanos Companies, one of the most prominent apartment developers in the country. The company remains among America’s largest family-owned businesses.

After failing to secure a new stadium in San Diego, Dean Spanos moved the Chargers to Los Angeles. The team is owned by the family, which, as a whole, is worth $2.4 billion.

Net worth: $2.4 billion

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Had to bag on the Bears for being ranked #27 and worse than Spanos. Yikes!

#27 Virginia Halas McCaskey, Chicago Bears​

Much like the Rooneys, the Halas/McCaskey family has made their wealth via owning and running their NFL team. Virginia’s late father, George Halas, bought the Chicago Bears three years before she was born in 1920. McCaskey, 100, is the oldest owner in the league.

Net worth: $1.3 billion

Silent Stan is currently ranked 6th with 12.9 billion.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Had to bag on the Bears for being ranked #27 and worse than Spanos. Yikes!

#27 Virginia Halas McCaskey, Chicago Bears​

Much like the Rooneys, the Halas/McCaskey family has made their wealth via owning and running their NFL team. Virginia’s late father, George Halas, bought the Chicago Bears three years before she was born in 1920. McCaskey, 100, is the oldest owner in the league.

Net worth: $1.3 billion
Except I don't think those two families have their main owner being sued for financial mismanagement like ole Dean.