Brandon Staley's job security

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yes, my headline is conjecture... but in my defense I am tired of talking about how good/bad the Rams will be and could use a little less intense fodder.

Like, how bad Brandon Staley is as a HC. While I don't want to see a man fail, I wouldn't mind him coming back to the Rams as a DC once Morris gets his much earned HC gig, especially after a season of what will be spoonfeeding toddlers...

Back to Staley, in the attached video you can hear what I heard for yourself. To me he sounds like Spagnolio talking about "lateral spacing" of the offense, when Staley talks about "basketball" and "football" in the same sentence.

Everyone, who is even a casual NFL fan, knows that Justin Herbert is a franchise QB. And yet, they haven't been to the playoffs.... Hmm....

And from what I understand from watching other people's film breakdown of the Charger's offense, possession receivers do not maximize Herbert's talent.

So the idea that the Chargers can "fix" their issues with 1 drafted WR is ridiculous and will result in Staley's being fired. Staley may or may not be cognizant of this, and may or may not be talking out of his ass. I don't know. But it's absurd coachspeak either way.

Also, if you want to take a passive-aggressive approach to the whole thing... IF Staley is right about the merging of football and basketball he's directly calling out McSnead for the drafting of undersized receivers like Van Jefferson and Tutu.... Shots fired???

What do you guys think?

View: https://youtu.be/Fc83-xBm39o

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Everyone, who is even a casual NFL fan, knows that Justin Herbert is a franchise QB. And yet, they haven't been to the playoffs.... Hmm....

They were in the Playoffs last year. Blew a 27-0 lead in Jacksonville in the Wild Card Round.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
They were in the Playoffs last year. Blew a 27-0 lead in Jacksonville in the Wild Card Round.
You’re right but that performance was more damaging for Staley than actually missing the playoffs altogether. He’s a defensive coach that couldn’t close the deal up 27 at the half.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I don't know if Staley will lose his job.

I don't know if the Rams will be looking for a DC next year.

I do know that Van Jefferson (6'1, 200 lbs) is not an "undersized WR."

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They fired a HC with a 14-2 record. Them Renting bastids could do anything to Staley and it wouldn't surprise me.

nighttrain

Legend

and neither are any other Rams receivers not named Atwell
train

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Staley's future is clearly in Herbert's hands. If he wants him back, he's back.
If Herbert wants "his guy", Chargers have to win at least one playoff game.
Who knows, maybe Mario Cristobal is ready for his shot at an NFL HC spot

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
How much more money is he owed if they fire him? I'd figure that cheap bastard of an owner doesn't want to throw money away.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I expect a good year from the Chargers and expect Staley to remain their Head Coach, but anything can happen. I also would not be surprised if the Rams have a good year that Raheem Morris finally gets a chance in Washington as regardless of them changing their name again to the Red Foxes or whatever I believe this will Rivera's last stand in Washington.

The Chargers have a very good football team IMHO and a top flight QB too and regardless of the Georgia Frontiere effect in Dean Spanos I believe the Chargers will win a playoff game or two this year and Staley will be back in the saddle again.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

We're talking about comparatively to Mike Williams and Keenan Allen, Van is small. Also, Van plays small given his jump ball win rate.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Staley getting rid of that OC will do wonders. That guy was the worst and actively held Herbert back.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The West just got tougher due to Asshole Face. Both him and Reid are better than Staley. Even McDaniels has more experience to fall back on.

I think Staley is excellent tactically but as head coach there is more going on. It cuts into your ability to cook your scheme. So I don't know if Kellen Moore is gonna be good enough but if not then yeah Staley will be done.

If he does come available again I hope we add him. Just make Raheem the Asst Head Coach with some made up title if necessary. Because while I am pulling for him to get a head coaching gig that is unlikely given what he has to work with this year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The West just got tougher due to Asshole Face. Both him and Reid are better than Staley. Even McDaniels has more experience to fall back on.

I think Staley is excellent tactically but as head coach there is more going on. It cuts into your ability to cook your scheme. So I don't know if Kellen Moore is gonna be good enough but if not then yeah Staley will be done.

If he does come available again I hope we add him. Just make Raheem the Asst Head Coach with some made up title if necessary. Because while I am pulling for him to get a head coaching gig that is unlikely given what he has to work with this year.

Agree that Staley prob doesn't have it to have longevity as a head coach but I like Moore as a play caller and anything better than calling "sticks" on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down will be an improvement. Though put me in the camp of saying Staley is better than McDaniels as a HC... though not saying that's the most dynamic race.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Staley and McDaniels are young head coaches. I think both have potential to be quite good. But this league is tough and you don't get a lot of chances if you don't win.

For this year I'd say Staley has the QB. McD is up shit creek there. He will need his owner to keep faith through what should be a basement finish.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For this year I'd say Staley has the QB. McD is up shit creek there. He will need his owner to keep faith through what should be a basement finish.
I could see even if Garoppolo is ready come September that he will miss time and the Raiders will have a dismal record. I still believe they will give McDaniels a couple years especially if they are bad enough to be in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Jimmy knows that offense well so if he can stay healthy and be there for them they are capable of putting Asshole Face in the basement year one. It will probably take him a year or two to get that team back on the upswing.

It's an interesting division though. Probably the most intriguing in the league this year, right there with the AFC East which should be really fun to watch unfold.

I also like the South. The fact they all (well except Jax) have young QBs added this year is very interesting. Going to be fun to see which team chose well because statistically it is unlikely 3 of them hit on young signal callers.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
We're talking about comparatively to Mike Williams and Keenan Allen, Van is small. Also, Van plays small given his jump ball win rate.
Yeah... that's not what "undersized" means.

Isaac Bruce was smaller than Van Jefferson. Torry Holt was about the same size as him. Nobody called them "undersized."

Van Jefferson may not be the player that you, other fans, or the Rams hoped he'd be (I'd say the jury is still out), but he's not "undersized" for the position.

Tutu, on the other hand...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If Staley has a healthy offensive line this year, they'll be just fine.

I have no idea how bad the Rams D ends up looking this season.. but they'll have money to spend next.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect a good year from the Chargers and expect Staley to remain their Head Coach, but anything can happen. I also would not be surprised if the Rams have a good year that Raheem Morris finally gets a chance in Washington as regardless of them changing their name again to the Red Foxes or whatever I believe this will Rivera's last stand in Washington.

The Chargers have a very good football team IMHO and a top flight QB too and regardless of the Georgia Frontiere effect in Dean Spanos I believe the Chargers will win a playoff game or two this year and Staley will be back in the saddle again.
Renter lover!

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Agreed - super terrible coach!!! Going for it 5 times on 4th down and not making it once instead of kicking FGs.
You know he is a awful coach when he has that much talent and squanders all those games.