Brandon Scherff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Quite frankly, while I have mocked this kid to the Rams in mock drafts, unless the Rams considered that player to clearly be the best player on the board, they would be foolish to spend a top 10 selection on an interior lineman, IMO. And especially in this deep interior lineman draft class.

Just as foolish as the Titans and Cardinals were when they broke several years of history's pattern a couple years back to select Warmack and Cooper only to see a 3rd rounder in Warford outplay both of them. But, even if he didn't, and they lived up to their lofty draftnik media ratings would that even be enough to make selections worthy in hindsight to a slightly lesser player at the position. Would the difference really be that noticeable?

My guess is someone like Tomlinson gets selected in the 3rd round and proves to be just as effective (or close) as perhaps Collins or Scherff.

And while not as foolish, I believe the same for an OT with the #10th selection in this draft class. Sure, if the Rams were looking for a LT and there was someone worthy, maybe you consider going against your board a bit. But, a RT? No way.
I disagree about the interior lineman value. IMO, they have become almost just as important due to the new emphasis on getting pressure up the middle combined with their importance in the run game. You're absolutely right that interior oline is deep this year though. I think his versatility and ability to play tackle makes him worth ten

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I disagree about the interior lineman value. IMO, they have become almost just as important due to the new emphasis on getting pressure up the middle combined with their importance in the run game. You're absolutely right that interior oline is deep this year though. I think his versatility and ability to play tackle makes him worth ten

...I would agree with you...if Scherff had any sort of ability to play any sort of position other than guard. He's been atrocious at pass-blocking since day one; what makes you think he can even play right tackle at the NFL level? You want to see Seattle's LDEs and Bruce Irvin (if he lines up opposite the right tackle if Scherff is playing there) make our quarterback become the first death on the football field in the modern day?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Which harder to fill positions? I can't really think of any that I'd say we're after besides QB that are extraordinarily difficult to find guys outside the first round.

I'm all for addressing the OL in the 2nd or 3rd round. Or the 1st. Take the value where it's right. I just don't agree with the logic that we shouldn't take an OL in the 1st because they're not a valuable enough position.

The difference is negligible if they can play? I feel like that's true of any offensive position except QB.

You're over dramatizing my statements in your responses.

I say the Rams would be foolish to select an interior linemen with a top 10 selection if he's not clearly the BPA on their board. You respond as if I'm saying they shouldn't address the position at all.

I mention a negligible difference if the players being compared can play. You respond with their being a large and noticeable difference comparing bad vs. good.

And to a lesser degree, now I mention harder positions to fill and you respond with an extraordinarily difficult to fill. Now I agree with each of your statements, but they don't seem to correspond with what I've actually stated.

Oh well. Blindside protecting LTs, QBs, impact pass rushers (especially DEs) & stud CBs are the harder to fill positions which is why they get paid top dollar.

As far as the negligible effects of comparing players at the positions, I'd say that the effect is more negligible on the interior OLine. Why? Because I've seen groups of solid guys form strong OLines because it's not just about talent but these guys jelling as a unit. The Rams could line up five Harvey Dahl type players on the Oline and if they stayed on the same page playing well as a unit, they'd have a darn good OLine. And Dahl was merely an above average Olineman, IMO.

paceram

Pro Bowler
And hopefully w/o all the dumb penalties.

Right, I actually meant penalties when I put baggage. I know he made some really silly (And, costly!) penalties but boy was he tough! If the Rams could get a player (Scherff?) who had the toughness of Incognito but minus the silly mistakes I would be thrilled!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
...I would agree with you...if Scherff had any sort of ability to play any sort of position other than guard. He's been atrocious at pass-blocking since day one; what makes you think he can even play right tackle at the NFL level? You want to see Seattle's LDEs and Bruce Irvin (if he lines up opposite the right tackle if Scherff is playing there) make our quarterback become the first death on the football field in the modern day?

Great point Memento. What Bruce constantly did to Joe Barksdale in pass situations was the cherry on the top of why I do not want to resign Joe back. That OT post must be seriously upgraded in order to keep Sam Bradford from being molested. No Cooper or White can help with that & who will say that keeping Sam Bradford from molested is not a top objective here in 2015?

Brandon Scherff just does not begin to fill this great need. Other prospects like Peat, Collins & Clemmings just seem like a much better fit here. Lucky for us here is Saffold could take up the ORT post in 2015 with the top pick OT like Collins or Clemmings taking up the ORG post until they are ready to step up to the ORT duties with Saffold returning back to ORG.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everything I've read about him is that he would be an all pro guard that has the potential to play tackle. I think hed be an excellent addition in that sense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Everything I've read about him is that he would be an all pro guard that has the potential to play tackle. I think hed be an excellent addition in that sense.

Everything I've seen about him says that he will be a decent guard who will only be able to play guard. There's a reason why I prefer DGB and Winston over him.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I learned about Draft Breakdown recently and just watched the two 2014 videos of Scherff on there.

Now when it comes to evaluating talent, I don't know my arse from my elbow but this guy didn't look as strong as the scouting reports that I've seen would suggest. He was getting beaten easily in pass pro especially in the Maryland game. He was often being pushed back easily in bull rushes and if a rusher put on any kind of inside move, he had no answer.

I realise he's projected to be a guard in the NFL so pass pro becomes marginally less key but his run blocking didn't exactly stand out for me either. He would often get way ahead of the running back but not actually get his hands on anyone.

From what I watched (which was limited I accept) I wasn't impressed.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I'm not sure I follow on what you disagree about regarding the value of interior lineman. I believe that they are important.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I say the Rams would be foolish to select an interior linemen with a top 10 selection if he's not clearly the BPA on their board. You respond as if I'm saying they shouldn't address the position at all.

My mistake. I misunderstood what you were saying. (y)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everything I've seen about him says that he will be a decent guard who will only be able to play guard. There's a reason why I prefer DGB and Winston over him.
I doubt Winston will be there though and if they take dGb at ten I'll be confused. He seems like a guy being overrated because of his measurables. He's a poor route runner from what I remember as well right?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure I follow on what you disagree about regarding the value of interior lineman. I believe that they are important.
I thought you were suggesting that taking a guard high was a mistake, which I disagree

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I learned about Draft Breakdown recently and just watched the two 2014 videos of Scherff on there.

Now when it comes to evaluating talent, I don't know my arse from my elbow but this guy didn't look as strong as the scouting reports that I've seen would suggest. He was getting beaten easily in pass pro especially in the Maryland game. He was often being pushed back easily in bull rushes and if a rusher put on any kind of inside move, he had no answer.

I realise he's projected to be a guard in the NFL so pass pro becomes marginally less key but his run blocking didn't exactly stand out for me either. He would often get way ahead of the running back but not actually get his hands on anyone.

Thanks for the input. I definitely need to see some actual game tape. Highlights can be enticing lol

Memphis Ram

Legend
I thought you were suggesting that taking a guard high was a mistake, which I disagree
Oh. Then we are on the same page as I do believe taking a guard early in this draft would be a mistake if said player isn't clearly the BPA on their draft board. But, I do value the interior line.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh. Then we are on the same page as I do believe taking a guard early in this draft would be a mistake if said player isn't clearly the BPA on their draft board. But, I do value the interior line.
This draft is gonna be so fun lol. From lineman to receiver.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, I discussed that Maryland game in another thread on Scherff. It's a big reason why(well, one of them) that I don't think he's a NFL LT.

Gotta keep in mind that your anchor in pass pro is going to be strongly affected by your footwork. The issue with Scherff on the edge is that he doesn't have a good kick-slide and he lacks range. Which means he has to overcompensate against guys threatening the corner which leaves him open to inside moves and in a poor position to anchor in.

At OG, he has the natural strength and the wide base to anchor and handle bull rushes(since he doesn't have much ground to cover at LG). But at LT, I think pass rushers with effective speed to power moves would eat him up.

However, I will disagree on run blocking. The guy is a roadgrader when they ask him to take on DLs. Blocking in space will be hit and miss for him because of the lateral agility issue that I mentioned with him at LT. But when he's head up against a DL, he can flat out move his man.

As I've noted, he's an athletic guy in a straight-line but he's not good moving laterally...which limits his ability on the edge. It's why I prefer T.J. Clemmings to him. T.J. isn't as develop technically but he has the same sort of raw power and a lot more potential on the edge. Like Scherff, I'd start Clemmings out inside but unlike Scherff, I'd feel quite comfortable bumping Clemmings out to OT after he's developed some.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Thanks for the input. I definitely need to see some actual game tape. Highlights can be enticing lol

There are only six videos on draft breakdown for Scherff, 2 from 2014 and 4 from 2013 but they condense every single play that Scherff (or whatever player you're watching) was involved in in a game. You end up with only 12 mins or so. I'm guessing you guys already know this but I was quite impressed when I found it. Easily pleased I guess

jjab360

Legend
Yea, I discussed that Maryland game in another thread on Scherff. It's a big reason why(well, one of them) that I don't think he's a NFL LT.

Gotta keep in mind that your anchor in pass pro is going to be strongly affected by your footwork. The issue with Scherff on the edge is that he doesn't have a good kick-slide and he lacks range. Which means he has to overcompensate against guys threatening the corner which leaves him open to inside moves and in a poor position to anchor in.

At OG, he has the natural strength and the wide base to anchor and handle bull rushes(since he doesn't have much ground to cover at LG). But at LT, I think pass rushers with effective speed to power moves would eat him up.

However, I will disagree on run blocking. The guy is a roadgrader when they ask him to take on DLs. Blocking in space will be hit and miss for him because of the lateral agility issue that I mentioned with him at LT. But when he's head up against a DL, he can flat out move his man.

As I've noted, he's an athletic guy in a straight-line but he's not good moving laterally...which limits his ability on the edge. It's why I prefer T.J. Clemmings to him. T.J. isn't as develop technically but he has the same sort of raw power and a lot more potential on the edge. Like Scherff, I'd start Clemmings out inside but unlike Scherff, I'd feel quite comfortable bumping Clemmings out to OT after he's developed some.
Interesting analysis, jrry, I think I'll go watch some more Clemmings now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There are only six videos on draft breakdown for Scherff, 2 from 2014 and 4 from 2013 but they condense every single play that Scherff (or whatever player you're watching) was involved in in a game. You end up with only 12 mins or so. I'm guessing you guys already know this but I was quite impressed when I found it. Easily pleased I guess
No, it's a good way to watch video on the OL. Harder on some other prospects, because you don't always know down and distance, which factors in some cases. I love their video's, been watching them for a 3 to 4 years now.