Brandon Scherff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Perfect comparison. I think he has cleaner technique and incognito was never a bad player.

I am probably one of the few Rams fans that hated seeing Incognito leave the team! I know he had a pretty bad temper and some ill advised penalties (Probably an understatement!) but I sure did like his aggressiveness and toughness and he sure did bring some much needed physicality to the team!

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm scared of Scherff at 10. Iowa guys seem to be solid but never spectacular. Robert Gallery flamed out at Tackle and was a solid to good Guard. Riley Rieff and Bryan Bulaga are just ok players who were highly touted coming out. Farentz seems to get pretty much everything out of his players before passing them on to the pro level.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm scared of Scherff at 10. Iowa guys seem to be solid but never spectacular. Robert Gallery flamed out at Tackle and was a solid to good Guard. Riley Rieff and Bryan Bulaga are just ok players who were highly touted coming out. Farentz seems to get pretty much everything out of his players before passing them on to the pro level.
A lot of people pegged Reif and bulaga as guards coming out though. I remember because Reif was said to be an option for us and people were saying "like bulaga, he has short arms and may be best at guard" quite often

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I don't know much about him except from the video but I think if the Rams feel he can play both tackle and guard he's the pick but if they feel he can only play guard they pass. 10th is to high for a guard.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I am probably one of the few Rams fans that hated seeing Incognito leave the team! I know he had a pretty bad temper and some ill advised penalties (Probably an understatement!) but I sure did like his aggressiveness and toughness and he sure did bring some much needed physicality to the team!

He's the exact reason why we nearly had one win instead of two in 2008. I'm glad he's gone, and I don't want a guy who is worse than him in pass-protection.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brandon Scherff is a wonderful OL prospect. His best NFL position is the OLG post. He has questions about his pass protection ability going up against those smaller quicker speed 34 OSLB. Brandon Scherff most likely could play four Ol positions with his versatility but if his best is @ OLG you may want to reconsider using a top 10 pick on him.

I see some excellent OLG's that should be available on the second day where you could get a much better valued choice. Like AJ Cann, Laken Tomlinson, Ali Marpet & Arie Kousandjio & many more. If Brandon Scherff could play & start ORT & OLT in the NFL without question then he would be an easy pick. I just do not see this in him.

Rams need two OT's currently. #1- ORT #2- Swing OT. Does Brandon Scherff fill that need? or is he just a OLG. I think I would have to gamble here & either trade down from #10 pick or just take WR Cooper/White & then set my sites on a OLG with that #41 pick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Brandon Scherff is a wonderful OL prospect. His best NFL position is the OLG post. He has questions about his pass protection ability going up against those smaller quicker speed 34 OSLB. Brandon Scherff most likely could play four Ol positions with his versatility but if his best is @ OLG you may want to reconsider using a top 10 pick on him.

I see some excellent OLG's that should be available on the second day where you could get a much better valued choice. Like AJ Cann, Laken Tomlinson, Ali Marpet & Arie Kousandjio & many more. If Brandon Scherff could play & start ORT & OLT in the NFL without question then he would be an easy pick. I just do not see this in him.

Rams need two OT's currently. #1- ORT #2- Swing OT. Does Brandon Scherff fill that need? or is he just a OLG. I think I would have to gamble here & either trade down from #10 pick or just take WR Cooper/White & then set my sites on a OLG with that #41 pick.
We are rowing the same boat. I just don't see the value @ #10 for the OL, unless we love Peat.

I would equate it to last year, Watkins vs. the rest of a strong group, except the WR group, last year, overall, was stronger than the OL group, this year. Point being, I don't see the big separation between Scherff, and the other OG prospects.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We are rowing the same boat. I just don't see the value @ #10 for the OL, unless we love Peat.

I would equate it to last year, Watkins vs. the rest of a strong group, except the WR group, last year, overall, was stronger than the OL group, this year. Point being, I don't see the big separation between Scherff, and the other OG prospects.

Yes, I agree here on this Peat prospect. Many thinks he is not a top 10 pick. Not much has been posted here on him but he sure fits the above scenario I posted about & you were fast to tune in on that. I did not mention him. To be honest I have not done much homework on Peat. Guess he just sounds like a boring pick but from the way see it if he is what I read he is he would fit perfect in this OL.

First this is a biggy, he would prevent the Ram overpaying for a free agent OT who has large issues in his game with smaller speed rushers. The thing that turned me off with Joe Barksdale was he did not get better in the handling of these speed rushers he got worse & worse as the season went on. JB simply does not have the skills to combat them. The other thing that bothers me about Barks is he is a one position player....that alone is just not a good skill.

Second if Peat is the selection the Rams now have a young talented OT who can fill the swing OT post. Peat now removes the yanking of Rodger Saffold each & every time they have a need @ one of the OT spots. It now removes the pressure from the Rams draft team having to look find a OT high with what few draft sections we have. Sounds like Peat sure helps out this Rams team out a lot.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yes, I agree here on this Peat prospect. Many thinks he is not a top 10 pick. Not much has been posted here on him but he sure fits the above scenario I posted about & you were fast to tune in on that. I did not mention him. To be honest I have not done much homework on Peat. Guess he just sounds like a boring pick but from the way see it if he is what I read he is he would fit perfect in this OL.

First this is a biggy, he would prevent the Ram overpaying for a free agent OT who has large issues in his game with smaller speed rushers. The thing that turned me off with Joe Barksdale was he did not get better in the handling of these speed rushers he got worse & worse as the season went on. JB simply does not have the skills to combat them. The other thing that bothers me about Barks is he is a one position player....that alone is just not a good skill.

Second if Peat is the selection the Rams now have a young talented OT who can fill the swing OT post. Peat now removes the yanking of Rodger Saffold each & every time they have a need @ one of the OT spots. It now removes the pressure from the Rams draft team having to look find a OT high with what few draft sections we have. Sounds like Peat sure helps out this Rams team out a lot.
He would, and he has a lot of upside to his game, but he can play right now. Flowers could fit the same role, and has a high ceiling too, but lower floor.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Quite frankly, while I have mocked this kid to the Rams in mock drafts, unless the Rams considered that player to clearly be the best player on the board, they would be foolish to spend a top 10 selection on an interior lineman, IMO. And especially in this deep interior lineman draft class.

Just as foolish as the Titans and Cardinals were when they broke several years of history's pattern a couple years back to select Warmack and Cooper only to see a 3rd rounder in Warford outplay both of them. But, even if he didn't, and they lived up to their lofty draftnik media ratings would that even be enough to make selections worthy in hindsight to a slightly lesser player at the position. Would the difference really be that noticeable?

My guess is someone like Tomlinson gets selected in the 3rd round and proves to be just as effective (or close) as perhaps Collins or Scherff.

And while not as foolish, I believe the same for an OT with the #10th selection in this draft class. Sure, if the Rams were looking for a LT and there was someone worthy, maybe you consider going against your board a bit. But, a RT? No way.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quite frankly, while I have mocked this kid to the Rams in mock drafts, unless the Rams considered that player to clearly be the best player on the board, they would be foolish to spend a top 10 selection on an interior lineman, IMO. And especially in this deep interior lineman draft class.

Just as foolish as the Titans and Cardinals were when they broke several years of history's pattern a couple years back to select Warmack and Cooper only to see a 3rd rounder in Warford outplay both of them. My guess is someone like Tomlinson gets selected in the 3rd round and proves to be just as effective as perhaps Collins or Scherff.

And while not as foolish, I believe the same for an OT with the #10th selection in this draft class. Sure, if the Rams were looking for a LT and there was someone worthy, maybe you consider going against your board a bit. But, a RT? No way.

I love that OLs just aren't valuable enough to draft highly until it's October and our offense sucks yet again because our OL is a bad unit.

The LT position is overvalued and the other OL positions are undervalued.

I also don't share your opinion of Laken Tomlinson.

Frankly, I don't disagree that we shouldn't spend a top 10 pick on a guy like Scherff but that's only because I think we can drop 5 or so spots, grab an extra pick, and still come away with Scherff or another player of his caliber because there's not a lot separating the three or so OLs in my mind slated to go in that #10 to #20 range.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I love that OLs just aren't valuable enough to draft highly until it's October and our offense sucks yet again because our OL is a bad unit.

The LT position is overvalued and the other OL positions are undervalued.

I also don't share your opinion of Laken Tomlinson.

Frankly, I don't disagree that we shouldn't spend a top 10 pick on a guy like Scherff but that's only because I think we can drop 5 or so spots, grab an extra pick, and still come away with Scherff or another player of his caliber because there's not a lot separating the three or so OLs in my mind slated to go in that #10 to #20 range.

C'mon. The October issue only occurs if the Oline is ignored altogether via free agency and the draft. Not if the team doesn't fill the position with the 10th overall selection in this draft class. Or even if they didn't go your route of trading down a bit and grabbing one.

Besides, as stated earlier, this is a deep interior line draft class. And it's just the nature of the position where the difference in the majority of these guys is negligible to the overall impact of an offense if the kids being compared can play and the unit plays well together. And when I say can play, I don't mean that they have to be great. Or even very good. A solid to above average group of guys jelling as a unit would give the Rams a formidable Oline. They haven't even consistently had that for years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon. The October issue only occurs if the Oline is ignored altogether via free agency and the draft. Not if the team doesn't fill the position with the 10th overall selection in this draft class. Or even if they didn't go your route of trading down a bit and grabbing one.

Besides, as stated earlier, this is a deep interior line draft class. And it's just the nature of the position where the difference in the majority of these guys is negligible to the overall impact of an offense if the kids being compared can play and the unit plays well together. And when I say can play, I don't mean that they have to be great. Or even very good. A solid to above average group of guys jelling as a unit would give the Rams a formidable Oline. They haven't even consistently had that for years.

I don't agree. Seeing what bad OGs have done to our offense, I think it makes a large and noticeable difference.

The OL is like any other position...the longer you wait to address, the less your chances are of actually addressing.

So I don't think they NEED to address at #10 but I do think that unless there's a Tier 1 player available, they'll be best off addressing it with our first round pick...whether that's picking at #10 or trading down a few slots.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't agree. Seeing what bad OGs have done to our offense, I think it makes a large and noticeable difference.

The OL is like any other position...the longer you wait to address, the less your chances are of actually addressing.

So I don't think they NEED to address at #10 but I do think that unless there's a Tier 1 player available, they'll be best off addressing it with our first round pick...whether that's picking at #10 or trading down a few slots.

Re-read my statement. I said the difference is negligible if they can play.

And sure chances are better at hitting on certain positions high, but some positions like non-LT Olineman and especially interior Olinemen (and LBs) have a pretty good rate of success outside of round one, too. And especially compared to other harder to fill positions.

So many focus on round one, but with the exception of Saffold and Greco (who are both NFL starters), last I checked, this team hasn't even addressed the Oline in the 2nd and 3rd round in about 20 years. And they passed on some of the same players fans now want the team to sign in free agency.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Re-read my statement. I said the difference is negligible if they can play.

And sure chances are better at hitting on certain positions high, but some positions like non-LT Olineman and especially interior Olinemen (and LBs) have a pretty good rate of success outside of round one, too. And especially compared to other harder to fill positions.

So many focus on round one, but with the exception of Saffold and Greco (who are both NFL starters), last I checked, this team hasn't even addressed the Oline in the 2nd and 3rd round in about 20 years. And they passed on some of the same players fans now want the team to sign in free agency.

Which harder to fill positions? I can't really think of any that I'd say we're after besides QB that are extraordinarily difficult to find guys outside the first round.

I'm all for addressing the OL in the 2nd or 3rd round. Or the 1st. Take the value where it's right. I just don't agree with the logic that we shouldn't take an OL in the 1st because they're not a valuable enough position.

The difference is negligible if they can play? I feel like that's true of any offensive position except QB.