Brandin Cooks to Rams for a 1st: blockbuster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thats a silly argument. Under that logic, DeSean Jackson is on track to put up 2200 yards. Wish we had him over Cooks...? :p
But Brandin is a Ram so I'm going with this logic and that DeSean will come down to earth. :p

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yyyeahh, draft picks are officially worthless now.

He's a 1000+ yard receiver with 7+ TDs every year outside his rookie year. He's pretty good.

tenor.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Brandin Cooks has greatly exceeded everybody’s high expectations.

But something I’ve observed about him has pleasantly surprised me no end.

Cooks is not tall nor does he have long arms. But his catch radius is off the charts.

I mean, he stretches, leaps, and somehow seems to come down with contested balls against taller d-backs.

It’s the damnedest thing, but he does it time after time.

What a tremendous addition he has been!

bluecoconuts

Legend
*Checks post from April*

Yep, I've always liked this one. I don't know who we would have taken in the first round, but he likely wouldn't been as big of an impact as Cook's has so far. Two games and the difference between him and Sammy is insane, just wait until the offense really starts to get going.

ausmurp

Starter
*Checks post from April*

Yep, I've always liked this one. I don't know who we would have taken in the first round, but he likely wouldn't been as big of an impact as Cook's has so far. Two games and the difference between him and Sammy is insane, just wait until the offense really starts to get going.

Exactly. And don't forget that the player we wouldvew drafted would probably also be the same age or close to it. That's why it was such a smart trade. He's way better than any rookie we would've had there.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Cooks is not tall nor does he have long arms. But his catch radius is off the charts.

I mean, he stretches, leaps, and somehow seems to come down with contested balls against taller d-backs.

Cards game, in person, 27 rows up field level and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Maybe the best receiver in the NFL not named Jones. Deal of the century landing him here guys!

Ram65

Legend
After two games, Brandin has 11 catches for 246 yards for a 22.4 ypc average. Over 16 weeks, this would translate to 88 grabs for 1,968 yards and a new NFL reception yardage record.

Anyone still missing Sammy?

Great numbers! Plus the pass interference penalties. Sights have him with 12 catches on 17 targets.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receptions

Somewhat of a surprise is the that he has done this with a higher number of targets that many thought he could/would not get. McVay has as predicted used him all over the field. Short screen, intermediate and deep passes. Was all for the trade as Cooks has had a big impact on the Rams offense. Oh the endless debate on why Watkins was not getting targets-Ouch! Great trade that can look better with the long term deal.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Cooks has refined football intuition that can't be taught, something that can triumph over Watkins frame and physical athleticism.

Psycho_X

Legend
When your team sucks after trading your only deep threat and are forced to trade for an oft suspended, malcontent in week 3 out of desperation.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

jap

Legend
Great numbers! Plus the pass interference penalties. Sights have him with 12 catches on 17 targets.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receptions

Somewhat of a surprise is the that he has done this with a higher number of targets that many thought he could/would not get. McVay has as predicted used him all over the field. Short screen, intermediate and deep passes. Was all for the trade as Cooks has had a big impact on the Rams offense. Oh the endless debate on why Watkins was not getting targets-Ouch! Great trade that can look better with the long term deal.

Brandin has better hands and runs better routes than Sammy. He has a much better feel for how to set up defenders, and he adjusts for the rock way better than Sammy ever did. What's not to like?

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Cooks is The Real Deal.

Reminds me of a soon to be HOF’r Steve Smith Sr.

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

Couldn't agree more his athleticism is amazing! I loved the addition of Watkins last year - but Cooks is on a totally different level!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Exactly. And don't forget that the player we wouldvew drafted would probably also be the same age or close to it. That's why it was such a smart trade. He's way better than any rookie we would've had there.

This is a very important fact @ausmurp - I noticed it in McVay's first draft and moreso this past draft. Rather than just scouring the draftees, the Rams scout the whole league and if there's a better option out there, they go and get their guy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Los Angeles Rams seeing investment in Brandin Cooks paying off real fast
by Dan Parzych
https://ramblinfan.com/2018/09/19/los-angeles-rams-brandin-cooks-investment-paying-off/

It only took Brandin Cooks two games to show he was well worth the investment for the Los Angeles Rams on offense.
During the offseason, the Los Angeles Rams pulled off a surprise out of nowhere by acquiring Brandin Cooks from the New England Patriots to provide Jared Goff with another speedy deep threat to work with.

At the time, there were some questions surrounding the decision by the Rams since they were not only giving up a future first-round pick for a second year in a row, but also this would mark the third team Cooks would be part of in three years.

Normally, when something like this happens to a talented player, there are some concerns, and the last thing Los Angeles fans wanted to see was Cooks be more of a distraction than impact.

Turns out, it only took two games for Cooks to show he was well worth the risk for the Rams when looking at the impact he’s made, including a recent seven-catch performance for 159 yards last Sunday during a win over the Arizona Cardinals. Not to mention, no one is questioning anymore the decision by Los Angeles to reward Cooks with a hefty five-year extension before even taking a single snap with the team.

After becoming the first team in NFL history last year to go from worst to first in scoring, the Rams expected similar results for the 2018 season, although early signs point to this unit potentially being better.

Remember all of the hype surrounding Sammy Watkins last season to be the speedy No. 1 target in the passing game for Goff to rely on? As Los Angeles fans remember, Watkins struggled to live up to the hype after catching just 39 passes for 593 yards, although it was great to see him find the end zone eight times.

Still, when seeing how Cooks already has 12 catches in two games for 246 yards, all signs point to the Rams wideout crush the numbers Watkins put together in 2017, his only season with the team. Just the thought of Cooks being around through the 2023 season will put a smile on the faces of any Los Angeles fan, and Les Snead along with Sean McVay deserve a ton of credit once again for turning this team around as quickly as they have since 2016.

No one ever could have imagined Cooks on the Rams around this time last year, and despite some questions early on, the speedster has proven he was well worth the investment. Based off the first two weeks, the explosiveness and speed Cooks possesses is going to make this season even more fun for Los Angeles while helping put the team in incredible position to live up to the Super Bowl hype.