Bradford vs Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Have to agree. There's such a large disconnect between the Bradford fans and the non-fans.

You are right about:

Performance vs. Talent.

On sheer Talent alone, Bradford is one of the most talented QBs in the game when healthy. He's got a top 15 arm or better. I also think Bradford is superior rolling out on the bootleg and throwing, accurately, on the run. Seen it way too many times.

If a healthy Sam was in Foles place in a primarily shot-gun oriented offense running up-tempo, his stats would be ridiculously good.

The thing to remember is this:

Foles HAS talent, but more importantly, has his HEALTH!

Bradford rarely had his talent and health working at the same time while a Ram.

Rams needed a healthy QB who could run the offense and see the field. We have that now. That's why we have Foles. If Sam were healthy, he'd still be here, but they just couldn't trust his knees anymore and we need to WIN NOW!

Bradford and accurate? In the same sentence? Noooooo.

What exactly are the talents that make him one of the best in the game? I see nothing I would call best in the game other than attitude. His arm would be in the top 10 probably. But nothing else would be top 15.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

What exactly are the talents that make him one of the best in the game? I see nothing I would call best in the game other than attitude. His arm would be in the top 10 probably. But nothing else would be top 15.

He's extremely accurate. He's just not healthy often enough. Hope he stays healthy this year for them but I feel safer with Foles for some reason.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Lets not get ahead of ourselves, that's not exactly a glowing praise, because lets not forget until he left the Rams liked what they saw in Bradford.

The team liking what they see doesn't necessarily confirm that there's something there.

They didn't sign Austin Davis to a 24.5 mil. extension, so yeah going forward they must think he's the best option they have .

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
My two cents is Foles having a new offense to learn, getting in rhythm with his receivers takes time, he's practicing against a really good defense, and it's basically one week into training camp. I'm sure Sam probably looked sharper over the past couple seasons because he knew the offense extremely well. He's in the same boat, as Foles, with learning a new offense. Both QB's will be relying on the run game to take some pressure off the passing game, and Bradford probably has a slight advantage because he has an experienced O-Line.

I don't expect Foles to go out in Week One and throw for 300+ yards and 3+ TDs. I see him throwing for 250-275 yards and a couple red-zone TDs. As he gains more confidence, gets into rhythm with his receiving corps, and the O-line gels with the run game, he will only get better. I see this offense taking off by Week Five.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
They didn't sign Austin Davis to a 24.5 mil. extension, so yeah going forward they must think he's the best option they have .
They also didn't try restructuring Bradford's huge contract til just recently. Giving money isn't a marker of their talent anymore than saying well we really like him.

Things are still very much suspect, I am not actively rooting against Foles, don't misunderstand me, in fact I think and hope that Garcia, Weinke and co can help, but we aren't inherently in a better position because they like him and gave him money because they did the exact same with Bradford.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
They also didn't try restructuring Bradford's huge contract til just recently. Giving money isn't a marker of their talent anymore than saying well we really like him.

Things are still very much suspect, I am not actively rooting against Foles, don't misunderstand me, in fact I think and hope that Garcia, Weinke and co can help, but we aren't inherently in a better position because they like him and gave him money because they did the exact same with Bradford.

How do you know they didn't try and what happened when they did? Bradford refused so he was traded or he was traded because they prefered Foles.

They used up a lot of cap space to extend Foles. They could have waited. They could have went with Mannion or another draft choice next year. But the decided to extend Foles.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

bonifayram posted this in the other sam thread. who we gonna believe?

CSN Philly reports Sam Bradford is "stringing together some pretty good practices."

Per reporter Geoff Mosher, Bradford threw with "more confidence than he’d shown since the start of camp" on Friday. Teammate Lane Johnson said he hadn't seen a quarterback with Bradford's accuracy in "quite some time." Concerns over Bradford's twice surgically-repaired left knee appear to be fading. Aug 8 - 9:14 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5161/sam-bradford

Is the quarterback competition already over? If Chip Kelly needed to pick a starter right this second, no question he’d hand the ball to Sam Bradford and direct Mark Sanchez toward the sideline. Bradford masterfully picked apart the defense and threw with more confidence than he’d shown since the start of camp. In 7-on-7s, he arced a lovely fade to Riley Cooper past Eric Rowe that set up his TD pass to Trey Burton on the very next play. In red zone drills, he zipped another TD pass to Burton, and then another TD on a fade to Seyi Ajirotutu. In the hurry-up drill at the end of practice, with 63 ticks on the clock and the ball near midfield, he was the only quarterback to lead the offense to a touchdown. Bradford’s consistency is key. The other three QBs tend to have good and bad days. Bradford has some down moments but is stringing together some pretty good practices. Lane Johnson said he hasn’t seen a quarterback throw with Bradford’s accuracy in quite some time.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/observations-day-5-eagles-training-camp

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The camp report buzz from both the amateurs and the beat writers indicates that the Ram players are all in on Foles, too. That speaks volumes to me. Foles seems to be our future while Bradford is clearly our past.
yes, very good point.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Would you try making your piont another way. Maybe I'm suffering from brain fog this AM, but I don't get what you are saying. But I think I want to undestand it ;)

Try to make it another way? What I mean is a players physical traits don't change that much from one year to another at that age. QBs that have good arms and accuracy, good technical ability, and quick release don't bust because they stop being able to do those things. They bust because 1. They go to a lousy team who annoints them a savior without ever putting them in a position to be successful and they get pounded into submission. Bradford and David Carr come to mind there. 2. Their head isn't right. Like Matt Leinert and Ryan Leaf. 3. Can't stay healthy. Like you know who. It's not because they forgot how to play the position. Which is what I thought was being said at the time.

MrMotes

Starter
It kind of makes sense that the QB on a Chip Kelly team would look better than the QB on a Jeff Fisher team, doesn't it?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I've gone from sure I was going to like Foles to wait and see. It could be the new scheme and team. It could be he takes chances he wouldn't in a game. It could be the monster D. We'll see.

We, the camp crew, are in agreement I think that he double clutches and his accuracy, which is pretty damn good, drops considerably after the first option is gone. That could be unfamiliarity with where his options are, so, no biggie to me YET.

I'm very excited to see the QBs in pre-season and to hear your opinions.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I like how the article reports players loving Sam Bradford. Everybody is in love with everybody at this stage of the season so I'd put zero stock in what players and coaches say in interviews right now. Bradford is the most accurate guy ever seen, Foles is the best leader since Napoleon, etc. They have to say good things. They're not going to say, "man I blew this draft. These people suck", or "we gave big money to a FA. Big mistake."

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Foles is struggling, why did they give him an extension?

Is he really struggling after all? I bet the coaches have a different opinion.

Oh, and... It's week 2 of camp.
I haven't seen a single report that foles is struggling. All I've ever read was that he was doing well

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For all the lighting up Bradford did in camp it sure as hell never showed on the field.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
How do you know they didn't try and what happened when they did? Bradford refused so he was traded or he was traded because they prefered Foles.

They used up a lot of cap space to extend Foles. They could have waited. They could have went with Mannion or another draft choice next year. But the decided to extend Foles.
Because that would have been reported, like with Long, Laurinaitis and when they finally tried with Bradford, we all knew ahead of time before any thing was reached. I don't believe we wouldn't be any less aware of other attempts then we were of those, especially for somebody who's money caused as much controversy as Bradford.

They also didn't choose to draft a replacement for Bradford, whom they had many times to move on from until they replaced him with Foles. Again nothing you say is inherently proving that Foles is superior because they did the exact same for Bradford.

Their belief in Bradford didn't manifest into success, so it's not inherently a saving grace for Foles. That's really the brunt of my point here.

EDIT: Took out misinformation.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Because that would have been reported, like with Long, Laurinaitis and when they finally tried with Bradford, we all knew ahead of time before any thing was reached. I don't believe we wouldn't be any less aware of other attempts then we were of those, especially for somebody who's money caused as much controversy as Bradford.

They also didn't choose to draft a replacement for Bradford, whom they had many times to move on from until they replaced him with Foles. Again nothing you say is inherently proving that Foles is superior because they did the exact same for Bradford.

They did use a lot of cap space, but only on a short term investment status. It's only 2 years, and a season can be voided if he doesn't perform up to expectation. Sounds to me that they like what they see, but also understand that he's also still a question mark and are giving themselves a way out if things go the worse route. Their belief in Bradford didn't manifest into success, so it's not inherently a saving grace for Foles. That's really the brunt of my point here.

3 seasons. 2 year extension. 1 optional for Foles based on team performance, not optional for the Rams from what I understand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Try to make it another way? What I mean is a players physical traits don't change that much from one year to another at that age. QBs that have good arms and accuracy, good technical ability, and quick release don't bust because they stop being able to do those things. They bust because 1. They go to a lousy team who annoints them a savior without ever putting them in a position to be successful and they get pounded into submission. Bradford and David Carr come to mind there. 2. Their head isn't right. Like Matt Leinert and Ryan Leaf. 3. Can't stay healthy. Like you know who. It's not because they forgot how to play the position. Which is what I thought was being said at the time.
thank you. i understand perfectly now :)

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
i recall him looking outstanding during that Browns pre-season game where he last got hurt.
Bradford always had the talent, just never the team, by the time the team finally turned the corner his health was holding him back.

He wasted good years playing on garbage teams, but you can't deny the few times he played with the improved team he looked good.